IGNORED

How many wedges

Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im sure this has been discussed but being new to the form.....How many wedges do you carry?  Currently i carry a PW, SW, and LW.  I can control the gap between the LW and SW , but Im struggling with that SW to PW gap.  ha...the GW.  What club did you drop to add the 4th wedge? I can hit the 3i but rarely need it and plan to drop it out my my bag.  To be honest Id rather adf a 3h and stay with 3 wedges, but it is costing me a stroke or two a round. 

I carry a "weak" sand wedge (58) rather than a sand wedge and lob wedge.  I use a PW, or GW, for most shots inside 120.  The 58 only comes into play when nothing else will do.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My bag consists of,

Driver
3-Wood
2-Hybrid
4 iron (22°)
5 iron (26°)
6 iron (30°, currently broken)
7 iron (34°)
8 iron (38°)
9 iron (42°)
PW (47°)
GW (52°)
SW (56°)
LW (60°)

The only thing I might not even slightly consider is dropping the LW for something on the top end. I am OK with having a big gap between my 2-hybrid and my 3 wood, and my 4 iron and my 2-hybrid because I don't get many of those shots. What matters more is that I have proper gaps in yardages between my irons. The old school iron degrees would have made my PW be around 52 degrees. I would have a SW and a LW. That means I probably would add in a 3 iron. I still get the same effect.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

PW-UW-56 bent to 55 and 60 bent to 59. Ping Glide 2.0

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Currently i carry a PW, SW, and LW.

As shown below, I now carry the same set-up as you. With my old wedges, I carried a 46° PW and a 50° GW. But, I found in most rounds I used one or the other. So, I split the difference and picked up a 48° with my Callaway MD additions.

Main challenge I have now is a gap between the 9i and PW. I handle this with a choke down 9i, or by delofting the PW a little extra. Three wedges are much easier for me to manage than the old four. Just choke down a tad to shave off a few yards.

When I carried 4 wedges, I alternated a 4H or a 4i as club No. 14, depending on the course I was playing. Now I carry both, although I seldom use the 4i. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 wedges here and no plans to drop 1 or reconfigure the short end of the bag.

PW - 45*; UW - 50*; SW 54* LW 58*

Yardages are 100-110; 90-100; 80-90; 80 and under.

Also, I use the 58* wedge for a lot of shots around the green.  It's my 'go-to' greenside wedge.

Dialing in short, or scoring irons is important to my game.  Hitting it close from 120 out is the only thing keeping me in the game anymore.  To me, wedges are critically important.

dave

Edited by dave s

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

10 minutes ago, dave s said:

4 wedges here and no plans to drop 1 or reconfigure the short end of the bag.

PW - 45*; UW - 50*; SW 54* LW 58*

Yardages are 100-110; 90-100; 80-90; 80 and under.

Also, I use the 58* wedge for a lot of shots around the green.  It's my 'go-to' greenside wedge.

Dialing in short, or scoring irons is important to my game.  Hitting it close from 120 out is the only thing keeping me in the game anymore.  To me, wedges are critically important.

dave

I have this same setup, except my yardages are 135 PW/125 GW/115 SW/105 LW and wouldn't change anything either.  And my PW is a 46 degree

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

PW - 46 - 120 yards full - Mizzy MP15

GW - 50 - 110 yards full - Mizzy JPX

SW - 56 - 100 yards full - Mizzy JPX (also have a 54 Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - trying to choose leaning toward the JPX oddly enough)

LW - 58 - anything up to 90 yards - Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - Love this club  (I have the MIzzy 60, but it's out of the bag for good, no question vs the Mack Daddy)

For chipping and greenside, "normally" use the SW and PW.  Though any club in the bag is an option depending on lie and shot.

I wouldn't trade a single one of my 4 wedges for another, longer, club - approach shots are king for me to score well.

So,,,I have spares for a Driver, SW, LW, and a 5 wood.  I'm good with that.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I consider the 50, 55, 59 as clubs that are used for 3/4 shots and around the green, with the 55 and 59 as specialty wedges.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

5 wedges for me.  PW, 50, 56, 60 and 64.

Only Fw I carry is a 17 degree then I go to a 4 iron.  Very rare that I'm in the 215 yard range, but if I am I can manage with the 17 degree or 4 iron.  I have many more opportunities carrying the 64 degree wedge

PW (43°) 140 yards
WW (47°) 130 yards
GW (51°) now out of the bag in order to bring in a 2 hybrid.
SW (56°) 105 yards
LW (60°) 95 yards

Yes i have a 25 yards gap between my WW and my SW but i can easily play a cut WW that carry 115, and a punch draw that carry 125.

The gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron was 40 yards wide, needed to reduce that gap for long par 3 and "off the tee" strategy pourposes. The 2 hybird (19°) worked like a charm, and it´s my go to shot on 2nd shot´s on par 5s. 

On 8/21/2017 at 2:06 AM, pulledabill said:

To be honest Id rather adf a 3h and stay with 3 wedges, but it is costing me a stroke or two a round. 

How is only having 3 wedges costing you 2 strokes per round? If you did a proper gapping session with those 3 wedges you could write down and account for every distance from your full PW to 20 yard pitches. 

Not having a 4th wedge isnt what is costing you 1-2 strokes per round, lack of distance control with your current wedges is what is costing you those strokes

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

The PW in my iron set is 43.5. I carry 48,52, and 56 in addition to that.

For years I scoffed at carrying additional wedges. Now I am hooked.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

You don't necessarily need four wedges per se... If you want to stick with three, I'd suggest getting like a 58° wedge with more bounce (i.e. weak sand wedge) and a wedge that is in between the 58° and loft of your PW. Most likely that will be about a 52°.

Props for being able to hit a 3-iron. 

I'm personally at this point, not using a 60° wedge, for 3 reasons. 

A) I would literally use it 3 times a year

B) I can't hit a full shot with it.

C) It has the same exact bounce as my 56° wedge.

I'm actually tossing around the idea of going with only 3 wedges myself. My issue is my wedges are 44, 48, 52, and 56.... I definitely would want to stay with my PW and 56°. I hit my EXi AW which we will call my 48° so well I don't want to replace it. I thought of getting just the stock AW in 50°. But I don't want to. So I have a 52° wedge, I literally NEVER use... I just grip down on my 48° if I have 95 or so yards.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7 hours ago, klineka said:

How is only having 3 wedges costing you 2 strokes per round? If you did a proper gapping session with those 3 wedges you could write down and account for every distance from your full PW to 20 yard pitches. 

Not having a 4th wedge isnt what is costing you 1-2 strokes per round, lack of distance control with your current wedges is what is costing you those strokes

I couldnt agree more about the control.  Been working on it and had a conversation with coworker today about it. Ideally id rather have the feel and control of 3 then always hitting "full" shots with 4.  Ive gotten decent from that 25 yard to 80 mark with various wedges depending on the lie.  Just hard time in that 115ish to 120ish range I seem to struggle with a couple times a round. 

56 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

I couldnt agree more about the control.  Been working on it and had a conversation with coworker today about it. Ideally id rather have the feel and control of 3 then always hitting "full" shots with 4.  Ive gotten decent from that 25 yard to 80 mark with various wedges depending on the lie.  Just hard time in that 115ish to 120ish range I seem to struggle with a couple times a round. 

Have you tried gripping down? That seems to work for me from 95-100 yards with my 48° wedge.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

24 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Have you tried gripping down? That seems to work for me from 95-100 yards with my 48° wedge.

Yes..just finished up at range doing so.  I knew that would help just a comfort zone and confidence  thing im working on. 

Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!