IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two guys I got paired with a few weeks ago had a Jambox in their cart playing classic songs; not classical, but hit songs like MJ, Sinatra, etc. via satellite radio from their phones. They had it on the practice putting green before the round and then in the cart. I didn't notice until the 3rd tee they had it on in the cart because it was really nice music and fit well. I asked them about it and then they asked if it was bothering me, which it wasn't. I thought it was absolutely lovely. I could see it being annoying with a poorer musical choice or inappropriate volume, but this was just great.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It doesn't bother me either way, I actually like music playing, but can see why some would not. On our annual buddies trip, I have music playing about 1/2 of the time we are on the course, and it's loud enough for those within a few paces of my phone to hear.

• 2 years later...

So I follow a few pro golfers (e.g. Rickie Fowler, Smylie Kaufman) on snapchat (for all the old folks on here its an app for your smartphone). On their stories they are always jamming out to loud music while playing golf. I think it might be because I am a younger golfer but I would love to be able to jam out to music while playing 18 holes. Does anyone else ever have the urg to jam out while golfing or has anyone ever done it before? (I am talking out loud not with headphones) I dont think it should be so frowned upon I think it would loosen up some tenseness on the golf course.

When I'm playing with others, I don't like to listen to music.   Occasionally when I'm playing by myself in a practice round, I'll have music on my phone in the cart but only loud enough that I can hear it when I'm driving from shot to shot.   Never with others around.   Golf is hard enough without outside distractions.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have only listened to music with in-ear noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones while walking, and only when the course was wide open (typically later afternoon/twilight rounds). I frequently check behind and to the sides to make sure nobody can yell "fore!" because I won't hear it.

I have considered letting music play from my phone speakers from my push cart at a low volume this winter and starting next season, because I'm finding people that play music very softly is really not distracting. If someone told me to turn it off, I would. But I can certainly set the volume to somewhere I can hear it within 10 ft of my cart but not 30+ ft. And I have excellent hearing, thankfully.

It sort of solidified my feelings to try this (the earphones are a little uncomfortable and block out almost all sound) after playing this past weekend with my father-in-law who's a pretty big stickler to this type of thing. We came up to a group on a slow par 5 and couldn't hear the music from their cart @ about 30 ft driving up but could hear it when we were ~10 ft away. He commented on it, but ultimately wasn't bothered when they drove off for their second shots. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

When I'm playing with others, I don't like to listen to music.   Occasionally when I'm playing by myself in a practice round, I'll have music on my phone in the cart but only loud enough that I can hear it when I'm driving from shot to shot.   Never with others around.   Golf is hard enough without outside distractions.  

I find it a little annoying. Not from the standpoint that the music annoys me, but I feel a little self conscious that it "may" annoy others. My daughter likes to have music playing on her android and although she turns the volume down, I cringe every time she does. Also, it seems she is always receiving text or email alert sounds some with distracting ring tones. She is relative new to the game and not yet fully aware of some of the nuances.  I do my best to make suggestions, but do not wish to seem like a lecture. I want her to maintain interest and she shows of signs of being really good.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

11 hours ago, sirsteveo55 said:

Does anyone else ever have the urg to jam out while golfing or has anyone ever done it before? (I am talking out loud not with headphones) I dont think it should be so frowned upon I think it would loosen up some tenseness on the golf course.

I think if you read back, many players don't mind quiet music, that can only be heard a few feet away.  When you start "jamming out" to loud music, your preference starts to impact other players, and to me that's simply inappropriate.  Instead of decreasing tension, loud music can tend to increase it, as arguments begin over different types of music, or the presence of music at all.  Here's just one reported case:

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2016/09/06/soldier-run-over-golf-cart-during-scuffle/89920318/

So listen if you prefer, but don't make the rest of the golf course listen.  And of course, playing music is against the Rules of Golf, so don't do it at all if you're competing with me in any way.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

34 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think if you read back, many players don't mind quiet music, that can only be heard a few feet away.  When you start "jamming out" to loud music, your preference starts to impact other players, and to me that's simply inappropriate.  Instead of decreasing tension, loud music can tend to increase it, as arguments begin over different types of music, or the presence of music at all.  Here's just one reported case:

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2016/09/06/soldier-run-over-golf-cart-during-scuffle/89920318/

So listen if you prefer, but don't make the rest of the golf course listen.  And of course, playing music is against the Rules of Golf, so don't do it at all if you're competing with me in any way.

I know a few people who would need a new driver if they heard someone jamming to loud music on the course. You can probably guess where they would shove said driver ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

A couple times I've had people ask if they could play music during a round. They have little radios (?) or something like that built into their bags. I always okay it. During a round it doesn't bother me. Where music does bother me is at the range.  

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

your preference starts to impact other players, and to me that's simply inappropriate.  

I completely agree, I wish I could save some of their stories on snapchat and post them on here so people could see them. I just see it a lot with the pro players I follow on snapchat.

I voted yes. I usually play as a single and Im high strung. Relaxing music helps. But as with all ELSE in life. With moderation and consideration for others around you. If I pair up, i turn it off, its NEVER loud enough to be heard by anyone and if I get with in earshot it gets muted til im clear. Respect the game, respect yourself, and respect everybody else. 

For me it depends. I like to listen to music if I'm going to be practicing for a long time since it helps break up any monotony that I might otherwise feel, and it can help with my swing's rhythm to have a constant pace in the background (I have a playlist of songs that I like that all have a tempo close to my own personal tempo that I listen to in this case). When I'm playing I occasionally will play music softly inside the little cubby so that the music is only directed towards me and is quiet enough that others don't hear it, but usually I don't play any music while I play.

That said, I don't care if the other players with me play music unless it's in a serious tournament. If it's in a casual men's club tournament where there are always multiple groups playing music regardless, I don't care, and the same goes for a casual round so long as the volume is within reason (and my tolerance for volume admittedly goes down as my perceived quality of music goes down). During a tournament though I've seen a rules official called when one of my playing partners put some earbuds in as he walked from shot to shot (I didn't see it, but the third player did) and I would have done the same thing. I personally don't think it's a huge advantage, though I do think it can help you relax on the course if nerves are a factor, but it's only fair to the field in serious competitions to call people out for breaches of the rules like that.

So my answer would be:

• Casual rounds - Sometimes (but I don't care if you play your own)
  • Competitive rounds - No, never (and I would call you out on it)

On 11/29/2016 at 10:25 PM, sirsteveo55 said:

So I follow a few pro golfers (e.g. Rickie Fowler, Smylie Kaufman) on snapchat (for all the old folks on here its an app for your smartphone). On their stories they are always jamming out to loud music while playing golf. I think it might be because I am a younger golfer but I would love to be able to jam out to music while playing 18 holes. Does anyone else ever have the urg to jam out while golfing or has anyone ever done it before? (I am talking out loud not with headphones) I dont think it should be so frowned upon I think it would loosen up some tenseness on the golf course.

Why the urge to have other people hear the music you're playing?   I don't get that.  Why not wear ear plugs or head phones?   Why force others to deal with your music?   To me, that's completely inconsiderate, rude, and obnoxious.   It's like wearing too much cologne, or talking too loud in a restaurant.   I just don't understand why you would want to inflict your music on me. 

As for myself, I cannot play music and do anything else.  For me, music is completely consuming.   If there is music playing, I'm listening.   I can't do that and focus on anything else.   I never understood how people at work could play music and still work. 

But that's just me.   It's fine if other people want to play music while playing or practicing, as long as I don't have to hear it. 

Edited by Marty2019

If you must, play it softly or use headphones.  I don't want to hear music on the course I want to hear it in my car on the ride home.  Others should not be forced to listen to what you like as we all have different taste.

As a courtesy for others, def keep it way down near Tee boxes and greens.  Let not turn this into Caddy Shack!

Last round the guys behind us had a lil music going but I only heard it when I walked by their cart on a hole that had our carts parked near each other.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

This is probably one of the biggest arguments going on at our club right now.  More and more members are playing music during the round.  but from the poll, most of the TST'ers wouldn't want to play in my weekend group, there is almost always someone playing music in one of our foursomes.

I personally don't care if you listen to music, even if it's loud and even if I don't like the style of music.  I play music or listen to sports talk radio if I'm by myself.  But you'd have to walk up to my push cart to hear it.  So I voted yes.  

But in the end does anyone really get that offended, whereby it ruins your enjoyment on the course, if you hear music as it's passing by you?  I can see if you don't like it when it's in your foursome, but do you really get that bothered if you hear music for a fleeting 10 seconds as someone goes by?   I guess I just don't get offended that easily and life is too short to have my golf ruined by hearing some music on the golf course.  But then again, I don't care if you talk, yell, scream, jump up and down while I'm swinging.   It's just background noise to me, just like birds, planes, cars, other people on the course, etc.  

caddyshack.jpg

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I play something catchy on repeat from the mobile device while practicing. Complete silence at times can be a little stark.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!