IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I played in a tournament recently where, on the second hole, the guy in the other cart started playing music. It's really not even legal for long stretches, and there were times the music was LOUD to ME and I was 70 yards from their cart.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Few posters to forums admit to playing music on the course.  Those that do universally state that they play the music very low so no one further than 10 feet or so away from their cart can hear the music.

My experience is that there typically are several groups with music playing loud enough for me to hear from a good distance away.  Generally the noise doesn't bother me but I have come to the conclusion that music players either don't post to forums or they are unaware how sound travels.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

1 minute ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Few posters to forums admit to playing music on the course.  Those that do universally state that they play the music very low so no one further than 10 feet or so away from their cart can hear the music.

My experience is that there typically are several groups with music playing loud enough for me to hear from a good distance away.  Generally the noise doesn't bother me but I have come to the conclusion that music players either don't post to forums or they are unaware how sound travels.

2 worst things in the world:

1.  Hitting an approach shot into the wind on a 470 yard par 4 hole.

2. Being downwind to somebody else's bad choice in music.

A local course has a outside event every year where there is a music truck (basically has large speakers pointing off in many directions) parked near the clubhouse, which is pretty close to the middle of the course. You can hear the music all the way out to the edge of the property. I wouldn’t enjoy being close to that. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I like to listen to music on the golf course, as do lots of people I play with.  Music, even bad music doesn’t bother me, but them again I can talk, chew gum, smoke a cigar and swing a golf club at the same time.  But if someone asked for no music, I would turn it off.  Life is too short to be a dick!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

17 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I like to listen to music on the golf course, as do lots of people I play with.  Music, even bad music doesn’t bother me, but them again I can talk, chew gum, smoke a cigar and swing a golf club at the same time.  But if someone asked for no music, I would turn it off.  Life is too short to be a dick!

If it's Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Final Movement, you're good with me.  Crank it up!

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If it's Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Final Movement, you're good with me.  Crank it up!

Nope, wouldn’t be that, although I played that on the piano when I was a kid. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I will often listen to music on the course. Usually at a pretty high volume level.

But it's being streamed to my hearing aids. No one else can hear it.......

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

2 worst things in the world:

1.  Hitting an approach shot into the wind on a 470 yard par 4 hole.

2. Being downwind to somebody else's bad choice in music.

I don't know about worst things in the world but I agree with the music, both good and bad music.

I'll add another: enough goose turds so you can't even swing a club w/o feces on your clubs/shoes! 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Most people at my club have speakers.  I listen to music and most  weekends I listen to sports.  Played in 7 tournaments this year and heard music from a lot of people in every one of them.  Like most people have said mine is low enough that only I can hear unless we are on a tee with a close proximity to the path and I try to turn it down in that situation unless the aggies are in a close game then they have to deal with it. 

:ping:    Driver, 3 wood  G410 Plus  G 700 irons  :cleveland:  CBX 50-54-56  :scotty_cameron: Squareback   Gigem

On 11/24/2020 at 5:01 PM, nevets88 said:

I try and carry headphones with me all the time to counter this. And an epic whitenoise playlist.

You rock sir...

:ping: G400 SFT driver @ 12 degrees

:ping: G410 3-wood @ 16 degrees, G410 7-wood @ 22 degrees, G410 5-hybrid @ 26 degrees,

:ping: G410 7, 8 & 9 irons, Glide 3.0 wedges @ 46, 52 & 58 degrees

:ping:  Craz-E [Platinum) putter

:cleveland: Smart Sole 4.0 C chipper

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Guy In Lyon said:

You rock sir...

Pretty sure that’s not what he’s talking about. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Pretty sure that’s not what he’s talking about. 🙂

I use this whitenoise for example, to drown voices out, like when a pro teaches next to me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

My personal opinion and experience indicates to me that there are a whole lot of people who are simply unable to handle quietness. They get up in the morning and the first thing they do is turn on the TV. If they're in the car they turn gotta have music or talk radio. If they could find a way to have a television on their push carts they would. It's not the music, for them - it's the noise.

3 minutes ago, Zippo said:

My personal opinion and experience indicates to me that there are a whole lot of people who are simply unable to handle quietness. They get up in the morning and the first thing they do is turn on the TV. If they're in the car they turn gotta have music or talk radio. If they could find a way to have a television on their push carts they would. It's not the music, for them - it's the noise.

Yeah, not sure where that comes from. I prefer natural sounds and the quiet vacuum of my brain.

• Like 1

I will listen, sometimes, when I play alone. I will use a speaker, or put my phone in the little storage compartment of a Sun Mountain cart. I play the volume low, and if I get close to anyone, I turn it off. I have never played music when playing with anyone else, and never played in a group when music was being played. I walk, but if someone in a cart played music at a low volume, I don't think it would bother me.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!