IGNORED

Awww, screw putting practice

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't know who this was, maybe it was something else that upset him?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Heh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can't say this is axiomatic, but I've had some of my best putting rounds without having hit a single practice putt. I show up at the course pretty close to tee off time, pay, grab a cart and head for the first tee. A few practice swings and we're off! Nothing like diving right into it!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

15 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I can't say this is axiomatic, but I've had some of my best putting rounds without having hit a single practice putt. I show up at the course pretty close to tee off time, pay, grab a cart and head for the first tee. A few practice swings and we're off! Nothing like diving right into it!

Right there with you, lol.  Why potentially waste any good shots on the range lol.  My best rounds often came with no warm up

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

17 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

1 hour ago, Chris223 said:

Right there with you, lol.  Why potentially waste any good shots on the range lol.  My best rounds often came with no warm up

Same. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 4 months later...

I will sink putt after putt after putt on the practice green. When I get out on the course I can't make a putt to save my .life. This drives me crazy. the only time I will use the practice green is at the driving range, because I am not going out on the golf course, and I refuse to leave all those good putts on the practice green. ;-)

I practice putt, prior to the start of a round, when the course is jammed up.  I use a colored ball and a white ball and endeavor to cause one to come in contact with the other.  When I reach the first green; the cup looks large in comparison.  It doesn't seem to make much difference either way; but it gives me something to do.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 9/9/2017 at 6:04 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

I think the theory is the practice green gives you the feel for that course on that day. But you know what? It has never helped me either.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

3 hours ago, Piz said:

I practice putt, prior to the start of a round, when the course is jammed up.  I use a colored ball and a white ball and endeavor to cause one to come in contact with the other.  When I reach the first green; the cup looks large in comparison.  It doesn't seem to make much difference either way; but it gives me something to do.

I do that too. Only thing I might do different is drop the colored ball behind me as I am walking. Then putt my gamer trying hit the other one. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 minutes ago, Patch said:

I do that too. Only thing I might do different is drop the coloered ball behind me as I am walking. Then putt my gamer trying hit the other one. 

Same here.  I should have been more specific.  I deploy the colored ball as a "hole" when the putting green is crowded: bat it one-handed to some unoccupied place and then try to click into it with the white one.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Although I use to, now I don't normally putt befor the first tee. If I have the time, I might use the driving range, and what ever club I plan to use on the first tee. 

I was told at a golf seminar that most practice greens, due to excessive use, do not replicate the greens on the course. Sounded good at the time.

Most of the time, I just pay my fee, and walk to the first tee without any warm up swings. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I like to use the Pelz Putting Tutor  for a few minutes- sort of a gate practice  for the ball (2 ball bearings on either side, with the option of various widths). But usually, that's not right before a round. That's when practicing during the week or at home. Before a round, it's a few minutes on the putting green and go - my weekend group is one of the first off the tee in the mornings.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I really enjoy putting practice now, used to hate it. I use the Putt Out trainer for 5-10 minutes a day. Whether i can translate that the to the course remains to be seen. Soon as this damn cold weather goes away!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

To me, the putter is just as important as any club, I like to get a feel for it.
I'll roll a couple of long lags then several dead on five footers to dial in the stroke.

When I do not have time for range or putting green, it takes me several holes just to get in a flow with the course that day. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Putting practice will lower your stroke gained putting on the long run, but for a single round you can skip the practice.

This saturday i played 36 holes. First 18th at my home course without a warmup session. I sink almost every putt. On the afternoon played in another course with similar greens and I missed every putt and have a lot of 3 putts. I made 8 putts less on the morning than i made on the afternoon. I shoot (68)-4 on the morning and (77)+5 on the afternoon.

Conclusion: Putting have a lot of randomnes between rounds, the average among a lot of rounds it´s what matters and it´s the only way to figure out if practice it´s helping.

22 hours ago, Patch said:

Although I use to, now I don't normally putt befor the first tee. If I have the time, I might use the driving range, and what ever club I plan to use on the first tee. 

I was told at a golf seminar that most practice greens, due to excessive use, do not replicate the greens on the course. Sounded good at the time.

Most of the time, I just pay my fee, and walk to the first tee without any warm up swings. 

22 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I think the theory is the practice green gives you the feel for that course on that day. But you know what? It has never helped me either.

That's one of the things that really pees me off about some courses. Either the speed of the practice green is way different than the greens on the course, or the practice green is flat as a table top and the greens on the course are like putting on the roof of your house!

It’s a fact for me if I practice putt I will end up more self conscious and mak less putts after practicing.

I am opposite of what some above have said though.  I like to practice chips and pitches before play if possible.  I will hit a few 2-3 foot straight taps also.  

In between outings what tends to get rusty most for me is short game.

Long game not so much.

I know from experience for me the more I practice putting the more I begin my own self destruction..  

At this point I don’t want to be self conscious in any aspect and it’s working for me so...

6 to 8 footers to get a feel then some tickley 4 footers with right left break. Lag putts with each successive ball 1 foot past the last to get feel for pace.  Agree about the difference between practice green and course.  Unless I am trying to groove a change in my swing, practice is more about getting a sense of how I'm hitting it that day and to remind myself of my pre-shot routine.

Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!