226 posts in this topic Last Reply

After somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 rounds I have finally completed this challenge. I had to shoot even par to do it. I thought it would take me about 20 rounds, but I was off by a factor of 2. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

On 7/30/2018 at 10:33 PM, Greenshirt100 said:

Finally beat the 6 challenge and it came in a tournament!

Congrats!

On 7/31/2018 at 7:54 AM, A Gap Wedge said:

Well my course is a par 70 with only 3 par 5s so it is a bit easier for me. It’s rated 71 with a slope of 132 andI usually score around 73-74 ish.

So do you have a round that you'd like to submit here to count for the award?

6 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

I finally did this.

Congrats!

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

After somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 rounds I have finally completed this challenge. I had to shoot even par to do it. I thought it would take me about 20 rounds, but I was off by a factor of 2. 

Congrats too!

Three awards added.

13 hours ago, Big C said:

I agree with the bolded part of your statement. 

I don't think that it's a great strategy to make avoiding a "6" an active part of your strategy while you are actually playing a round of golf. Much like standing over a tee shot thinking "don't go OB left" is a sure-fire way to snap hook one OB, trying to play for the goal of avoiding 6's will likely lead to tentative, bad golf. Both of the times, I accomplished this challenge, I didn't even realize it until I was reviewing the scorecard afterward. 

That said, I do think there is value in assessing your round, looking at where those 6's popped up and pondering if there is something you could have done differently, beyond simply hitting better shots.

I have come to believe there is no strategy involved. Period. Well, unless patience would qualify as strategy. I think about it every time I am driving up to play. There is is no unthinking it for me. It seems not to matter what I 'think' anyway.

One thing this challenge has helped me is to stay much more disciplined during a round. Not necessarily super focussed. I also have a renewed sense of how my swing needs to improve. I had receded quite a bit and have steadied. Hopefully I will get my no sixes before the season ends this year.

For me, no "6" means playing intelligently.

Is my goal to score or pretend I'm Greg Norman (master of the "go for it" shot. Yesterday's Phil) ?

Based on my recent scoring, I am not very intelligent for about 4 holes per round.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

On 8/7/2018 at 3:38 AM, iacas said:

So do you have a round that you'd like to submit here to count for the award?

What’s an award? Is that one of those symbols that shows up in the awards box under a persons comment? How do I submit it?

4 hours ago, A Gap Wedge said:

What’s an award? Is that one of those symbols that shows up in the awards box under a persons comment? How do I submit it?

https://thesandtrap.com/awards

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/get_achievements/

There's some more information.

I've been playing kind of horribly this year. Not hitting the ball very consistently at all. Until Tuesday night.

4 5- 38

5 4 4 3 4 5- 37 75

The first no sixes round I have ever had. I hit 8/18 GIR. Had a makeable putt for par on every hole. Lipped out two birdie putts from about 20' on 14 and 17. Could have been better. But it was about the highest I could have shot.

4 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I've been playing kind of horribly this year. Not hitting the ball very consistently at all. Until Tuesday night.

4 5- 38

5 4 4 3 4 5- 37 75

The first no sixes round I have ever had. I hit 8/18 GIR. Had a makeable putt for par on every hole. Lipped out two birdie putts from about 20' on 14 and 17. Could have been better. But it was about the highest I could have shot.

Congrats! I've given you the award!

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Congrats! I've given you the award!

Thanks Erik... a lot of GamePlanning was involved. I was out of position off the tee on two of the par-5s but still managed to make par.

I have to say this have been tough for me all year to try not to have a six on the card.  I was curious and going through all my score cards, I found one from exactly 4 years to the today where I didn't have a "6." It was extremely surprising that I didn't have one sooner considering some of my low rounds but I savaged scores with more birdies.

image.png