IGNORED

Poll: How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can You Manage During a Scoring Round?

Midpack
Note: This thread is 2251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can/Do You Manage ON COURSE?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can/Do You Manage ON COURSE?

• Zero on course, swing thoughts are for practice only
    • ONE, more than that and I'm not consistent
    • TWO, more than that and I'm not consistent
    • THREE or more

I will definitely cycle through various swing thoughts on the driving range (otherwise why go to a driving range?), or even during a practice round, but for any round that will count toward league play or handicap...

I confine myself to one, and ideally I'd rather have none. Right now I have one for the first few holes, and another for the rest of the round, and often I don't need any thought later in the round. May just be me but when I am actually thinking about more than one, it seems the results haven't been good.

Right or wrong, I don't count anything associated with setup as a "swing thought" - only thoughts that I may be conscious of during the moving parts of the swing.

Edited by Midpack

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll link to this thread. It seems relevant ;)

I'll vote one,most of the time. Though I am experimenting with not using a mechanical swing thought, but more of a visual mental swing thought. I want to hit my ball with a high push fade. Which might produce a push draw or a push, but it's more of thinking of the shot I want to hit versus a swing motion I want to achieve.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I always have the same 2 swing thoughts when playing a scoring round. 

1. Bring the club back on plane (I tend to break the plane inside early, causing block/snap hook)

2. Follow through at target (I tend to get quick, and this slows me down)

A lot of my friends say when they're playing good rounds they don't think at all standing over the ball, but I haven't found that comfort yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

(edited)
9 minutes ago, DannyMac said:

A lot of my friends say when they're playing good rounds they don't think at all standing over the ball, but I haven't found that comfort yet.

I'm striving to reduce swing thoughts as much as possible.

I would conclude I putt better if I just set up properly (three setup thoughts for me) and then let it happen, at least for distance control. The times I misjudge distance, it's almost always because I was thinking 'hit this harder, it's long/uphill' or 'just think lag, it's a big breaker/downhill.' E.g. on long/uphill putts if my brain is focused on make sure I get to the hole, I'll almost always add some unwanted wrist action and invariably hit it way long. May just be me.

Edited by Midpack

I voted two. I have talked about this with my evolvr instructor and his recommendation was that it depended on the person but 1-2 seemed like a general target.

I currently have two main thoughts, keeping my head still/ the feeling of it slightly moving away from target (feel is different than real) and then especially with the driver keeping my hands low throughout the swing and having the club path in to out to create a straighter ball flight since I used to come way over the top and outside in.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

Surprised that so few answered zero.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2.  More swing "feels" than thoughts...

12 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Surprised that so few answered zero.

Why would you practice using a specific thought or feel, but not use it on the course?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I see too many players who stand over shots for what seems like an eternity and you can just see the wheels turning in their heads. I know they must have 10 things they are thinking about before they shank it into the nearby pond. I try to have one thing I concentrate on as a swing thought. To say I have none would be incorrect, but I can easily say its no more than one thought, and I try to let go of everything but my distance when I pull the trigger.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I voted one, but I am not really sure it's  even a swing thought. My final thought is I want the ball to land in a chosen area, out there. Those landing areas get smaller the closer I get to the hole. 

Once I pick a landing area, I just walk up, set up, swing, and hit the ball. This is pretty much the same scenario when I practice. I just swing the club with out thinking about it. I either hit a decent shot, or I don't. No big deal. Once it's done, unless it's really great shot, it's forgotten about, and I am on to the next shot. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm still pretty bad about this.  I voted no more than two, and that's almost always true on a given swing.  But I struggle with not shifting my swing thoughts around during the round in reaction to misses I've made.  Sometimes this works well, but many days I just chase whatever most recent mistake I've made.  This is worst on days when I don't have time to warm up the full swing.  When I get range time I can usually do a better job figuring out what thought(s) are working best that day and stick to them better.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I voted one, but with some caveats. I will only have one swing thought for any given shot, but on different types of shots I have a different thought. My tee shot thought is a little different than for my irons, because the swing is difference, and my chips and putts usually have the thought of keeping my head down and not looking to see the result too early.

21 hours ago, David in FL said:

Why would you practice using a specific thought or feel, but not use it on the course?

Good question, but what I was getting at was some people might just be playing golf for fun without thinking anything at all. Of course, they wouldn't be posting thingns on this site either.

I can "manage" a whole heck of a lot of swing thoughts on the course, because I've done that before when I used the course as my practice range, but at this point I just practice on the range and play on the course. Of course I can likely improve if I used my brain more on the course, but it doesn't make it fun for me at this point.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ok. How many can I manage? Zero. How many do I have? 9-10. Yep.

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted one and for me it can not be a mechanical thought. I sometimes have a tune in my head to keep me in rhythm or count slowly. But I have never played well while thinking about "keep the head down". Instead I might think "see the contact" if I believe I am moving my head while swinging. That is about as close as I ever come with a mechanical thought while the club is moving. I do spend a little time in the pre flight (setup) on ensure I address the ball well as I believe what Arnie said once which was, Paraphrased here, most of we hackers have lessened our probability of a good shot because we don't setup correctly.

Butch

On 10/20/2017 at 8:15 AM, David in FL said:

Perhaps it's because when on the course, if you think about a swing thought, you might be thinking of the wrong thought, for the shot at hand. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have all kinds of reminders going through my head as I set up over the ball, trying to be sure I'm ready and comfortable. However, during the swing it's probably two. One for the backswing and one for the downswing.

Note: This thread is 2251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!