IGNORED

What are Your 2018 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Really modest goals this year:

• play every round by the book
  • keep score every round
  • get to the practice range once a week
  • play 5 18-hole rounds (usually, I just walk 9 in the evenings when the course is quieter)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I joined a new private club this year so I have one goal as of now.

Break 80.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

Quite simple, break 90.

I played only once a month. in 2018 maybe twice a month.

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

Reduce penalty shots, take advantage of par 5(I've been struggling with long irons after a great drive) and reduce handicap below 6.

I am currently practicing in my backyard more. I have been doing 100 or more 4 iron swings concentrating on tempo, backswing length and not rolling wrists too quick open.

Trollin' is the life

My goals..

Play as often as possible

Track all rounds with strokes gained spreadsheet

Exercise and get back to normal range of motion

Figure out my damn wedge setup

Avoid "swing crack" 

I probably posted this already, but my ultimate 2018  goal is the same as always. To still be playing golf (next year)  in 2019.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don't really have any "goals" for this year other than to just be happy to be out playing the game and enjoying the experience. I'm 65 now and know that my better days are behind me. I still play better than bogey golf, even off the regular men/s tees. So, I got what I got, and am not going to try to fool myuself thinking that I can get much better. One thing I might do is sign up for the "Greatest Golfer in the Valley" tournament. They have a senior bracket, 60-70 years old and no handicaps, straight scoring, just to see how things shake out. You get to play some really nice courses. I went out to watch the final round last year, and ran into a guy that I used to be in a league with. He had made the cut to Sunday, and I was a better golfer than he was! But with my knees these days, playing three days in a row is a challenge!  

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, coop5885 said:

Solid contact across the bag.  Its been too long since I have had confidence in all my clubs

Me too.  I've played many years with some fundamental flaws that have caused me to learn to play decent (mid/low 70s) but without that great feeling of wonderful contact.  I am a living example of "thin to win."

This year, I've committed to sacrificing short-term results to change my setup, increase my shoulder turn and recover that feeling of solid, high irons and effortless power.  Even if I shoot 90.

Playing pain free would be good .  Had a few good spells last year but found it hard to complete 18 . Got my meds lined up now along with some pre round exercises  so fingers crossed .

I used to play off one back in the 1980's. I was playing to four in 2008 and then gave the game up for a few years. Got back into it and started at seven handicap but with the help of you Guy's checking my swing out I managed to shoot a few good scores and got down to 2!!! Last week I shot a couple of sub par scores in a medal and am now off 1.3 so I have this weird goal of actually getting to scratch handicap this year for the first time in my life and at age 58! Not sure I'll do it but you never know.

• Like 1

1.  consistent routine on shots; observe, pick best option, get lined up, commit, accept result prior to swing, step in and let it go......

2.  keep accurate scoring method, including fairways hit, gir and Ngir, putts, penalty strokes, no mulligans.  tract my stats.  

3.  less actual time practicing, more focused practice with driver / irons.  Short game practice still needs same time, just better focused time

4.  play an entire round without every 'over swinging' or swinging too hard

5.  currently 12.4, like to see it break 10.5 by end of summer

6.  consistently score below 87, break 80.......

7.  make no doubles or worse in a round

8.  play 20 rounds that get posted.

9.  have 3 birdies in a round

10.  I have already made an eagle in 2018, so check that box.  Now I get to add, score an eagle on a posted round.

Gl to the others that have posted their goals.

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing 2 years , 6 months ago with any seriousness and I joined my first club , Coxmoor in the UK, in Jan this year.

My 2018 goals are:

1. Get my HCP from 23 to 15 

2. Engage in the club knockouts and tournaments. 

I played my first knockout a week ago in the 4somes and we won 1up , 4BBB and singles to come. 

I played my first stapleford comp on Sunday and came third with 40point -HCP down to 23.1  

My goal this year is purely mental:  Never give up on a round, no matter how poorly it may be going at any given time.

To accomplish this goal, I'll need to improve my focus, commit myself to the "next shot" mentality, and try to take/create positives from poor shots, stretches, etc.  I'll also need to develop a "go-to" shot type that I can rely on when my A-game isn't there.  Over my first couple rounds so far, I've found that a choked down, 3/4 swing with more club produces a low & tight draw that helps regain the feel of hitting it solid...will continue experimenting with this.

- Bill

My goals for 2018:

Get my index to around 6.  Playing to around 9 as of now.  To accomplish this, I want to lower my putts per round.  Plan on buying an indoor practice green in the near future.  

Going hand in hand with the lower putts per 18 is to really work on my wedge game, so I have closer putts to begin with.  I recently purchased wedges in 50, 54 and 58 degree, to go along with my 46 degree pitching wedge.  I'm hoping that with even gaps between all my wedges, I will build more consistency.

I am also trying to play 80 rounds this year.  I am currently at 15 rounds and with the North East weather this year, that is a pretty good start.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!