IGNORED

2018 Tiger Debut - San Diego Open (Farmer's Insurance)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2018 Debut  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Tiger finish in his 2018 debut?

• WD in first two rounds
    • MCs
    • Makes cut, WD in last two rounds
    • Makes cut, finishes 50th+
    • Finishes middle third (25th to 50th, roughly)
    • Top 20
    • Top 10
    • Top 5
    • Wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/26/2018 at 06:16 PM

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

Riviera at the Genesis Open.

That's when he's committed. I see the AT&T at Pebble is the week before that and he's played that quite a few times. Anyone know if he might show up there or is that a definite no?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

He gained strokes for the week off the tee. I don't think that's an F. He definitely hit some wild ones, but not enough to have him losing strokes off the tee (on average for the week at any rate)

Strokes Gained doesn't really make any differences for "rough" based on how far offline you are, whether you're blocked out by trees, etc.

It's kinda "dumb" in that sense. So he gained strokes because of how far he hit it. Hitting the fairway does help, of course, but "334 in the right rough" is still going to gain strokes over 275 in the fairway, even if he's blocked out by a tree and has to pitch almost sideways.

2 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

That's when he's committed. I see the AT&T at Pebble is the week before that and he's played that quite a few times. Anyone know if he might show up there or is that a definite no?

He hates the pro-am format and pace of play, and skips that tournament when he is able to. Like… when AT&T is not sponsoring him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Too bad you didn't hit driver, Alex... you could have used a few yards closer for the second shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Noren in the water! Wow. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Who knows? Possibly? But I'm guessing more than likely no.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

And DAY with the killer approach!

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

And DAY with the killer approach!

He's hit some excellent wedge shots the past few times he's played this hole. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Strokes Gained doesn't really make any differences for "rough" based on how far offline you are, whether you're blocked out by trees, etc.

It's kinda "dumb" in that sense. So he gained strokes because of how far he hit it. Hitting the fairway does help, of course, but "334 in the right rough" is still going to gain strokes over 275 in the fairway, even if he's blocked out by a tree and has to pitch almost sideways.

There is a recovery position though, which would ding his driver if he was in the trees wouldn't it? I'm not sure exactly how they determine whether it was rough or recovery.

51 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Playoff!  They just mentioned that there are no breakfast balls for this group, although it might happen on the North course.  Are public tee times back on the North course today?

Perhaps @No Mulligans can answer this one for us.

When I used to live in SD County many years ago, I had heard that the course iis open the Monday after the tournament (obviously this  playoff throws a bit of a monkey wrench in there) with the pins and tees left as-is from Sunday.  I was also under the impression that it was first-come first-served, in which case nobody would have had any tee times.  How that may or may not apply to the north course, I have no idea. :)

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Perhaps @No Mulligans can answer this one for us.

They have a lottery shot-gun on the North today and on the South tomorrow with tournament conditions.  I believe it goes back to regular reservations after that.  I'm not sure how long they keep the tournament like conditions going, I doubt it would be more than a week.

Personally I don't want to play in those type of conditions.  They had tournament like conditions in late November last I played and I shot 106 on the North from the green tees (6,346 yards, 71.2/122).  In those conditions it was the most difficult course I've played... if I could have stayed out of the rough it would have been fine though.  The greens, though really fast where rolling really true and I liked them for putting.   The greens for approach shots, I couldn't stop a ball unless I was approaching with a wedge.  But the primary difficulty for me was the rough, they had a special 2 minute rule... if you couldn't find your ball in 2 minutes in the rough you had a free drop at your best guess of where the ball was.  You could be a foot from your ball and still couldn't see it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

They have a lottery shot-gun on the North today and on the South tomorrow with tournament conditions.  I believe it goes back to regular reservations after that.  I'm not sure how long they keep the tournament like conditions going, I doubt it would be more than a week.

Personally I don't want to play in those type of conditions.  They had tournament like conditions in late November last I played and I shot 106 on the North from the green tees (6,346 yards, 71.2/122).  In those conditions it was the most difficult course I've played... if I could have stayed out of the rough it would have been fine though.  The greens, though really fast where rolling really true and I liked them for putting.   The greens for approach shots, I couldn't stop a ball unless I was approaching with a wedge.  But the primary difficulty for me was the rough, they had a special 2 minute rule... if you couldn't find your ball in 2 minutes in the rough you had a free drop at your best guess of where the ball was.  You could be a foot from your ball and still couldn't see it.

I'm sure it would be torture but it would be fun to do once just as an eye-opener. :beer:  It would have been especially cool for me this year to compare since I just played it a month ago as well.

ED678E21-A52E-4032-9BFB-ED2F856BE791.jpegA114A50D-C578-4E25-8C23-C2A1C1D1364F.jpeg

Edited by Golfingdad

Fun weekend for returns.  (Li and Noren, I'm a new fan.  They are the real deal)

Tiger did respectable - if anyone wants to question the importance of good tee shots setting up the rest of the game....this is a great example.  I'm sure he'll win now.  the rest of the game looked solid and fixing his tee shots is something he can do.

Jason wins one.

Rory - very respectable considering it wasn't his A game...maybe not even his B game.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm very happy with my prediction. I voted for Tiger finishing in the middle third, but commented that I expected to finish in the upper part of it. As it turns out, he finished in the bottom part of the upper third! Very respectable considering how long he's been away from competitive golf.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:30 AM, Marty2019 said:

And I would just like to add- JB Holmes deserves punishment for what he did on the 18th hole.  If I was the God of Golf, I would give him a 2 shot penalty, $50,000 fine, and a suspension.   And then I would tell the rest of the players, this cannot ever happen again, or it will kill TV golf.   I can't believe there isn't more backlash about what he did.  What.  A.  Dick.  

That was Redicio.  I was fast forwarding the Tourney and thought my Playback was busted!!

Note: This thread is 2277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!