IGNORED

Do They Really Mind???

Osnola
Note: This thread is 2257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not being very good at the game of golf, generally shoot mid 90's, but able to get around the course and not slow anyone down.  But, i really do not feel comfortable when paired with a pretty good golfer because I always wonder how they feel when they get paired with someone like me.  Older guy, 69, and in good health.  How do you guys feel when you get paired with someone like me...?

• Administrator

If you're pleasant to play with and can get around at a good pace, I've not met many who will mind.

I'd rather play with a pleasant, fast playing guy who shoots 95 than a jerk or a guy who plays slowly, regardless of his score.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll second the motion.  What someone shoots has no bearing on whether or not I enjoy their company.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

69? Hell, I'd shake your hand, slap you on the back and say "lets do this".  I wouldn't care what your score was. 

After the 18th green, I'd shake your hand. If we had a good, friendly session of play, I'd ask you if you wanted a beverage before leaving. If we didn't get along, that's not a problem either, because I still had a good time. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've never really met anybody who minds what others shoot providing they keep a good pace.  If you shoot mid 90's but you spend 5 minutes looking for balls on half the holes or something... they're gonna be ticked.  Beyond that... most will be happy to share a round with a golfer of any skill providing they keep it moving.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I definitely don't mind at all, particularly if you're not super serious about it. The act wears thin if you're hitting all of your drives OB and still cursing yourself and stomping around after every single one. 

By and large though, I don't mind it at all. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm with @iacas here.   I sometimes golf with an older couple that are in their mid 70s.   She has broke 50 for 9 holes only once.   We can usually play in 3:30.   I really enjoy playing with them.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I like playing golfing with older gentlemen. 
They often have a great sense of humor and can tell a lot of good stories...  :whistle:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

If you're pleasant to play with and can get around at a good pace, I've not met many who will mind.

I'd rather play with a pleasant, fast playing guy who shoots 95 than a jerk or a guy who plays slowly, regardless of his score.

This...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

To me, it really does not matter what you shoot as long as you keep up the pace, are pleasant to be around, don't throw clubs or temper tantrums, and don't curse and raise hell about your bad shots.  

I have never had a problem playing golf with people who were much better than me.  I tell'em about what I shoot and off we go.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I like to play with anyone who can keep the pace, doesn't throw clubs and curse the whole round, and will chat between shots/holes. It's a bonus if they want to have a couple beers afterwards. Hell...I'll even buy them.:beer:

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

14 hours ago, Osnola said:

Not being very good at the game of golf, generally shoot mid 90's, but able to get around the course and not slow anyone down.  But, i really do not feel comfortable when paired with a pretty good golfer because I always wonder how they feel when they get paired with someone like me.  Older guy, 69, and in good health.  How do you guys feel when you get paired with someone like me...?

I have many partners in this age range, and almost expect it every round.

if I get paired with a pretty lady, no problem with that either.

We’re out there to play golf and nothing more.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

To add to the chorus, keep up a good pace and don't be a jerk, and nobody cares. I play frequently with people I don't know, and it only bugs me if they fall into one of those two categories.

Also, shooting in the mid 90s is pretty good golf. It's better than the majority of golfers. I wouldn't worry about that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I RARELY find someone that's unpleasant to play with.  When I do, it has nothing to do with:

• how well they score
  • how old they are
  • or even if they are wearing a nice watch or cargo shorts.......

It's kind of a coin flip on whether you'll get an irritable partner.  And, frankly, if they are 'that guy', it won't matter if they trigger on you being average vs good, they'll find something to grump about.

The good thing is they are rare.

I'd rather always play with someone personable.  the rest doesn't matter.  Just play ready golf and have a good time.

Bill - 

I wouldnt mind at all. My buddy and I got paired up with two retired locals when we played Myrtle Beach National in December. My buddy groaned and whined to me at first, but then after a hole or two he got over it and we all ended up having a very nice round together. They played ready golf, followed golf etiquette, and helped show us where to aim and where good misses were since we hadn't played the course before.

We teed off at 8:30, were the first group out, and finished right at 12:45.   

The main scenario where it would bother me is if the person I'm paired up with tries to give me unsolicited advice on my swing or my game. (that can happy when getting paired up with goflers of any age though)

Outside of that I dont mind at all.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Score or ability has nothing to do with it for me. As long as the person I'm paired with is pleasant to be around and doesn't knows how to move at a good pace around the course, I couldn't care less what they shoot.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

17 hours ago, iacas said:

I'll second this.  As long as you are pleasant and don't hold up anyone, I would love to be paired with you rather than a jerk or someone who is slow.

For me, there is nothing worse than a slow player.  It takes my game off rhythm. I don't care how good he is, if he is slow, it just drives me nuts.

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 2257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!