IGNORED

Do You Purchase Equipment Locally or Online?

Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Trying to get a feel for where you guys purchase new or used clubs and other equipment such as golf balls and bags.  Do you shop at the local golf shops in your area, or do you primarily buy your gear off the internet?  Why do you buy where you do?  Are you the type who likes to see/touch/feel an item, or are you comfortable buying things sight-unseen?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some of this and some of that.  My bag (all leather) is from a Goodwill store; my driver from a PIAS outlet; the rest of my clubs were assembled from parts purchased on-line.  Once in a while I stop by a PGA store to pick up a grip, or some golf balls, and rummage the used stuff.  That's about it.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

22 minutes ago, Dufferpauly said:

I generally go to either Roger Dunn or PGA Superstore type places and hit everything...then I go on line and buy..much cheaper

Which is why I cant hardly find clubs in my local shops anymore. 

Buy locally as I like to touch and feel before I buy. Nice to support my local retailers as well even if it costs me a bit more.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

There use to be a big golf store close, King Par, but it closed a few years ago.   If I were to buy clubs, I'd travel to Carl's or Miles of Golf which is about an hour drive.   Buying something like balls or other accessories, I'd buy online or at Golf Galaxy.

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I try to purchase as much as possible from the one golf store in the region. I don't mind slightly higher prices - and they are sometimes very competitive. They usually make up for it with information. But if their service starts to suck, there's no sense doing business with them.

I plan on buying new grips this year. The shop doesn't carry Pure grips but the owner told me he could order them, sell them for the same price as the internet, and still make a profit. Why wouldn't I get them from him?

I don't like to go there unless I'm going to spend money, even it's just a few bucks. I don't want to become that guy who just goes to a shop, asks a bunch of questions and leaves without making a purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jon

2 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I don't like to go there unless I'm going to spend money, even it's just a few bucks. I don't want to become that guy who just goes to a shop, asks a bunch of questions and leaves without making a purchase.

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

About the only item I purchased on a regular basis is balls, and I usually get those at WalMart. They always have what I want, and the price stays consistent. 

I suppose if I had to buy something big, I would most likely purchase the item(s) from a place in Kansas I am quite happy with. I've spent $1000.00s of dollars with them in the past with absolutely no problems. 

My wife likes to visit second hand stores for her charity. Sometimes I find something golf related that trips my buying impulse. I usually don't need the item, and most of the time it ends up being donated again. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, 1badbadger said:

Trying to get a feel for where you guys purchase new or used clubs and other equipment such as golf balls and bags.  Do you shop at the local golf shops in your area, or do you primarily buy your gear off the internet?  Why do you buy where you do?  Are you the type who likes to see/touch/feel an item, or are you comfortable buying things sight-unseen?

It honestly depends.

My clubs are purchased through my fitter... (Though they are drop-shipped directly from Tour Edge),

Balls usually locally occasionally bulk purchases on-line.

Bags depends on price... It really depends on whether or not Dick's has the lowest price or I can find it elsewhere.

Shoes, 95% for whatever reason, I have to buy any of my shoes online. Why? I have big/wide feet, Dick's doesn't usually carry my size. For that matter of the 4 pairs of footwear I own... 3 were purchased online. (Non-slip shoes for work, Sneakers, Flip-Flops, Golf Shoes... I do not own dress shoes, nor will I ever)

Other accessories, tees, club brush, towels, all local...

Rangefinder: Shopping around for one.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I generally go local because I want to be able to test out the clubs first.

We have four well run chain shops in the area, plus four excellent small shops also. I think it's sleazy to hit irons at Joe's shop all day, and then go and buy the same irons online. (And the online may not fly like the "in person" model you hit.)

The fitters are good and treat me well, and fit me better than if I self-fit.

I go online if I decide I want a 3H to match my 4H, or I can find a good deal on a club a friend let me hit and I hit it well.

• Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Mostly local, only occasionally online.

I have a small independent shop about 45 minutes away that I like to support. I bought my irons there. I bought a wedge at my local course-they had on close-out for the same price as online retailers.  We have a Dick's locally, and I buy balls and some clothes there, and the occasional club.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I think it's a bit of a falsehood that equipment is always available cheaper online. First, most if the golf manufacturers set the prices on their equipment so selling it cheaper than that price can/will get the retailer in hot water with the club company. Stuff that's a year old can be discounted, but I know the shop where I work will match prices as will many others. 

I'm not saying I never buy things online, because I do, but I buy the majority of my stuff at a store. This thread reminds me of a guy I talked to last year. He didn't even check our price on a ClickGear pushcart before he ordered one online. After he got his he was standing in line getting ready to buy his green fee and noticed we had them $20 cheaper. Little did he know we sell like 10-15 of them a month because we sell them pretty cheap.

Not to mention it's nice to support locally. :-)

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

They closed the Golf Galaxy and both GolfSmiths near me, so unless I want to go to Dick's for golf stuff (I don't) I have to drive close to an hour to go to the PGA Tour Superstore (which I also don't want to do). This kind of limits my options in terms of where I can test and buy equipment, which is fine since I don't buy clubs often. Any time I have done so in the past has been in a store after demoing and getting a basic fitting (except for my Ben Hogans, that was an eBay purchase).

I buy small things occasionally from local pro shops (bought a pair of rain gloves last season) but they're not really set up with racks full of clubs from different manufacturers like a retail store is. I might get new wedges this year which I'll get fitted for and order through the fitter, which is how I made my last (and final) putter purchase.

Golf balls I buy online, directly from Snell. My wife bought me a new bag last year she purchased online and she will probably do the same if she gets me a new cart this year. I'm planning on buying a pair of TRUE Originals, so that will be an online purchase as well.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

For me, it depends on what I am buying.

All of my clubs I have hit/tested in person at my local Golf Galaxy, and then purchased online. In my experience, its simply cheaper, and there is a better selection of shaft/head combos of used clubs online than what is available in my store for used clubs. 

I can also get new clubs cheaper online via ebay. Last summer when the 2017 M2 driver was still $400 new from TaylorMade and stores, I was able to get a brand new M2 head and the shaft that I was fit for from 2 separate auctions that together totaled $300. 

Callaway pre-owned frequently has discount codes and coupons that have saved me quite a bit of money on my wedges. 

The only exception to this is my putter, which I purchased in person from Golf Galaxy, the sale price they had was the same as I was finding online so it just made sense to get it in person.

Golf gloves, shoes, tees, balls, etc. have all been purchased in person from Golf Galaxy. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Balls - I generally ask for a dozen for my birthday or Christmas.  The last couple years, I've been using old models, so have maybe picked up 3-4 dozen mint used ones off e-bay during the year.

Gloves, bags, shirts, occasionally a club - turn in course winnings for events over the season to purchase from my local golf pro shop.

Shoes - buy online - my local pro doesn't currently stock big enough shoes for my feet

Clubs - generally new or used off e-bay.  I bought a new hybrid from my local golf pro last year.  Used wedges off e-bay the year before.  Used putter off e-bay the year before that.  Used iron set off e-bay the year before that.  New driver off e-bay the year before that. 

I keep telling myself at the end of the year (when my swing is somewhat grooved) that I should make a several hour drive to the city and go through a significant fitting and get new stuff, but tough to fit it in, and then my swing goes to pot over the winter, so don't want to get fit then.  Over the years I've gained a pretty good feel for what kind of equipment works and doesn't for me, but don't think some of my spin characteristics are quite maximized at present, so would like to capture a little more yardage and consistency if I can from get clubs that can do it.

John

Depends on what it is.  Golf bags I prefer eBay because I can get a past year model I like better etc....  Or a different color/print scheme.  

Clubs...not online.  I have a good relationship with guys at a couple local places like Golfers Warehouse so I like to give them the business.  Balls I could buy anywhere but if it's a difference of a few bucks I'd rather keep it local and help out the store and it's employees.

Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!