IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Jordan Spieth would have won if he didn’t collapse. 

And Greg Norman, Scott Hoch. Jack wins from solid play but had unusual help with Seve dunking it in the water....I don’t see how your quote there contributes to the tournament being ‘predictable.’ Spieth didn’t win despite having a (5 shot?) lead at the turn. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Zeph said:

Here's a list of the past 11 champions, two of which has multiple wins. The 9 other tournaments were won by first-timers.

2007: Zach Johnson (1)
2008: Trevor Immelman (1)
2009: Angel Cabrera (1)
2010: Phil Mickelson (3)
2011: Charl Scwartzel (1)
2012: Bubba Watson (1)
2013: Adam Scott (1)
2014: Bubba Watson (2)
2015: Jordan Spieth (1)
2016: Danny Willett (1)
2017: Sergio Garcia (1)

And this....hardly leans toward a predictable tournament no? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Current odds:

• Rory: 10/1
  • JT: 10/1
  • Dustin: 23/2
  • Tiger: 12/1
  • Spieth: 14/1
  • Rose: 16/1
  • Bubba: 16/1
  • Day: 18/1
  • Phil: 20/1
  • Rahm: 20/1
  • Rickie: 22/1

I thought Bubba would have jumped a bit more.  I'd take him over DJ and Tiger for sure right now.  Rory, JT and Bubba would be my top 3 as it stands.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

If Tiger hits driver a lot better, his irons a little bit better, and keeps up the short game- he will top 5 or win the thing.  That said, we need to see the club under Frank perform.  I also really like Phil with his form lately and who could go against Justin Rose?  That guy has the game and is in great form.

I'm picking Justin Thomas with my head because he is so hot right now. With my heart, I'm rooting for Sergio. That said, there are about 5 or 6 other guys who a solid case can be made for. In my opinion Tiger isn't one of them. He can contend in this field, probably 5-15th place, which is terrific, but off the tee I see too many problems here for him to end up the winner. *** I'm including this "edit" because I just saw Tiger is polling at 30% in both poll questions. Lots of Tiger fanboys here, huh? LOL***

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

If Tiger hits driver a lot better, his irons a little bit better, and keeps up the short game- he will top 5 or win the thing.  That said, we need to see the club under Frank perform.  I also really like Phil with his form lately and who could go against Justin Rose?  That guy has the game and is in great form.

Agreed on the driver and irons. Scotty better know the greens too.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That is low. Lately it's been high 90s.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
10 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

Current odds:

• Rory: 10/1
  • JT: 10/1
  • Dustin: 23/2
  • Tiger: 12/1
  • Spieth: 14/1
  • Rose: 16/1
  • Bubba: 16/1
  • Day: 18/1
  • Phil: 20/1
  • Rahm: 20/1
  • Rickie: 22/1

On Golf Channel they still had Tiger at 9/1. For some reason.

I'm more inclined to believe those odds above. More realistic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

How realistic do you think Tiger is as the 4th choice? The fact there are so many Tiger fans will obviously lower his odds. I'm not too familiar with betting golf (a little too familiar with other sports however) but some of these prices look tempting. Rory, JT, Phil and Bubba especially.  

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

On 3/15/2018 at 2:05 PM, phillyk said:

I'm going for a Tommy Fleetwood or Justin Rose win this year.  Fleetwood has been steady for a while, Rose has been hot this year so far.  Of course I want to see Woods do well too, but I'd like to see one of the other guys win it.

+1 on Fleetwood. Also, Alex Noren at 50:1 isn’t a bad bet. Hasn’t won, but has been hot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chspeed said:

+1 on Fleetwood. Also, Alex Noren at 50:1 isn’t a bad bet. Hasn’t won, but has been hot.

I’m starting to question Fleetwood a bit. His putting in the last couple events hasn’t been good and you need the flat stick to be a good friend for Augusta. I’ll probably stick with him as one of my picks, so hopefully he gets it figured out. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'd be pretty pleased if Fleetwood took the win. Normally i'd say i couldnt see it happening but i said the same about Willett. All it takes is for someone to trip up and anything can happen.

Rory is too hot and cold at the moment. Speith has been fairly quiet of late compared to how he has been at this time of year (imo at least). Phil or Buuba? i think they may be good for a little punt.

I think the Master's (or all majors for that matter) is one of those events where form often gets thrown out the window. Its like the golfing equivalent to the FA Cup, sure Man Utd should be able to beat the likes of Fleetwood Town on paper but underdogs have a knack of upping their level and causing an upset.

I like to see the underdogs do well at the Masters.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I would not have Spieth that high, he's is off lately, and Bubba should be higher IMO.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have a feeling that this year's winner will come "out of the pack". I'm not sure who it will be but I'm thinking one of the young guys who has been hanging around the leaderboard for the past couple months. Kevin Kisner? Tyrrell Hatton? I'm also kinda thinking Matt Kuchar (although he's not a young guy).

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

21 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Agreed on the driver and irons. Scotty better know the greens too.

His putting has been pretty good though.  I think I read up through Sunday he was perfect inside of 10'.  Granted that wasn't Augusta, but still.  He knows Augusta and that Scotty shows up to play.  I fear more for his driving and iron play.  Driver is a usual nemesis, but his iron play hasn't been Tiger-esque save for a few here and there.  

Note: This thread is 2201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!