IGNORED

How long should you take to hit your shot on the course?

RWalker84
Note: This thread is 2114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 questions - how much time should you take to hit your shot on the course once you address the ball

and

how much thinking about your swing and fundamentals go on when you prepare to hit the ball?

I sometimes over think mechanics and fear making a bad shot so I tend to take longer than I want to before hitting a shot.  how much thinking should go on?

Inside 15 or 20 seconds.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator

Five seconds or so.

Can’t answer the other. Different for everyone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, RWalker84 said:

once you address the ball

Less than 5 seconds.    I do a quick alignment check, check the target and swing.

Thinking about the swing process after addressing the ball causes me problems.   I may have one swing thought but definitely not an overload of thoughts.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Less than 5s once adressed. As far as thinking about swing or fundamentals, before the round, you should have limited the swing thoughts to one or two to carry with you through the round. Any more and you’ll likely lose it at some point. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I probably take 10-12 seconds; I don't know how long I should take. But I do whatever thinking I need to do and my practice swing(s) before I step into the batter's box to setup and swing. Something related: Have you seen someone stand over the ball like forever before pulling the trigger? I don't think I do that; I like to keep moving. Have a great weekend! -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

53 minutes ago, RWalker84 said:

how much time should you take to hit your shot on the course once you address the ball?

I agree with most of the others, less than 10 seconds.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

My 15-20 secs is once you reach your ball on a normal shot. Once you address the ball - a few seconds. No more than 5.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

39 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Less than 5 seconds.    I do a quick alignment check, check the target and swing.

Thinking about the swing process after addressing the ball causes me problems.   I may have one swing thought but definitely not an overload of thoughts.  

I agree! I might be the weird one here, but I draw a definite line between the practice tee and play! When you are on the range "swing thoughts" are perfectly appropriate because that is what you are working on. When you are playing you should switch to "shot thoughts" because you are trying to score.You want to imagine the shot you wish to hit. 

Golf's a weird game in that way. It involves a combination of dedicated, mindful practice, and surrender to sudden inspirations of the moment. As Hogan said, something like, "There aren't minutes enough in the day to practice every shot that may present itself to you on the course."

I want my mind as quiet as possible before every shot.

Once I address the ball, just a second or two to start my swing. 

No swing thoughts at all once I address the ball. Just swing the club. 

I make all my decision before it is my turn to hit. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have enjoyed simplifying my pre-shot routines, so I'm withing 1-2 minutes per shot.

One casual practice swing with a baseball grip; get a proper grip; hit the ball. Reading greens I mark and align the ball, walk halfway to the hole, take one practice swing and hit.

I do better when I focus on each movement so I don't like to waste them. Looks pretty conscious and deliberate even though it is fast.

I will allow myself as long as I want on half swings, pitches, chips, and bunker shots approaching the green.

I agree with those that said 5 seconds or less. I have played with people that routinely took 15-20 seconds from address and the day dragged on forever. 

I think people will realize that anything over 10 seconds is a long time to stand over the ball. They probably lose track of time because they are focusing on something.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Long enough but not too long... I can't say how long I am over the ball but I have taken a little more time on putting setup which has resulted in better putts. My beef is the guy who takes an unforeseen amount of practice swings until he feels like it is right and then duffs it. If you are this guy, stop it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

No swing thoughts before any shot.  I think of what shot I want to hit when behind the ball.

1 practice swing, let my breath halfway out an wham!  It's in the hole!!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I think that depending on the distance from the hole, lie, and confidence. As you approach the ball you can get your understanding for what club to use and whether you need to club up or down with the conditions (which should take probably 10 seconds minimum). Then you line up or take practice swings behind the ball, or however you do (which should take 10 second or so), then you take your shot. 

You shouldn't think too much on how you swing if you have all the fundamentals down, if you struggle with getting you body rotating or your club all the way through the ball. When you take your practice swings, try to exaggerate and slow down your swing, if you do this every shot your going to make the subtle changes you trying to do in your practice swing to overlap into your full swing.  

Once I address the ball, just a few seconds, I'd be surprised if I got to 5 seconds.

I'm trying to incorporate a little more "rehearsal" in my practice swing, a reminder of the changes I started on last Spring, and that's about all of the "swing thought" stuff i want to do.  As I address the ball I have a couple of specific things I try to ensure that I do (knees tall, eyes down, feet flared) but then its all about just swinging.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!