IGNORED

Most interesting or surprising facts about your golfing life..

scotth
Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watching a tournament roll through the course from my deck this morning and starting thinking about some of the more interesting things about my current swing and golf life in general.  

1. Never putted for an eagle, but have made 8 eagles.  Once from 180 yards hitting a 7 wood.

2.  In an unofficial competition this summer, my 3 wood is currently outdriving my driver by 35 yards per hole.

3.  Played golf in more countries than states.  (8 countries and only 7 states)

4.  Never made a hole in one, but have had to take a drop and then made par on a par 3 hole.

5.  Played Pebble Beach with my cousin who lost what I am sure might be a world's record 36 balls during the round.

6.  Have walked more rounds of golf the last 2 summers than in my entire life, and really like it.

7.  IF I ever live on a golf course again, will not be on the right side of a fairway where the prevailing wind is left to right EVER again.  Especially if I am near the green.  Although I haven't purchased a golf ball in 2 summers either so maybe I need to rethink this one.

8.  My greatest golf accomplishment might be getting my 84 year old father to take up golf and watch his improvement like a proud dad in a backwards kind of way.

Would love to see/hear what others post.

• Like 3

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. At some point during my many years of playing golf i have scored the following on a single hole - 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11. I hope to add a 1 before i add a 12  :)

2. At some point during my many years of playing golf i have played when the temperture was in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 100s. I have no desire to add the 20s or 110s.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Played to a 6 hdcp. Had an accident,  and was told I would have to give up golf. Then played my way back to a 9 hdcp. Currently an 11. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have played a lot of golf over the last 50+ years.  I am competent from the sand (about a 25% sand save percentage over the past 10 years).  Despite all the rounds and sand shots, I have only holed out from the sand twice in my life.  And both came during the same year (about 10 years ago).  I have more hole-in-ones than hole outs from the sand.

Brian Kuehn

I've been playing since 1975 (or so) and have never got a Hole in One.  Had 4 or 5 within a foot, but never in.

I never took a lesson until about 5 years ago.  I wish I'd have done it YEARS ago.  I'm playing the best golf of my life now, even though my handicap is still real high.

1. never made an eagle.   Have had a ton of eagle putts.  
2. have now shot 80 six times.   never broken 80

On 6/26/2018 at 8:07 AM, scotth said:

7.  IF I ever live on a golf course again, will not be on the right side of a fairway where the prevailing wind is left to right EVER again.  Especially if I am near the green.  Although I haven't purchased a golf ball in 2 summers either so maybe I need to rethink this one.

I have seen some nice houses on ball zones that have some nice looking and very inconspicuous nets which block balls headed towards the house.   Would probably reduce the number of balls you collect, but you'd still get your fair share, i imagine.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Playing Bethpage, golfers from out of state were surprised when I mentioned I took a commuter train to the course. It's not uncommon for people in cities to do so. Have gotten some, wow, that's really weird looks about that. Getting some Zzzs or watching some Netflix in the train sure beats stewing in traffic.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1. Was 30 y/o first time I picked up a golf club.

2. First set of irons I purchased as a complete beginner was a set of shiny Snake Eyes 600B Blades complete with a 2 iron... Nobody 'educated' me that these type of clubs (MB/Blades) were supposed to be the hardest to hit clubs. My then boss who is an avid golfer, fell out laughing when he saw what I had bought as my beginner set. I didn't get what was so amusing. Found out soon enough though... 😊

Didn't hit it worth a damn but still have the set, still the prettiest clubs I have ever laid my eyes on.  

seaforth-snake-eyes-600b-blade-style-irons-steel-shafts-1.jpg

3. I used address every club (except the putter) toe down instead of up. Have gotten much better over last 2 years but still set it 45 degs closed and yes, it looks just as weird as it sounds. 

4. What's the hell is a hole-in-one? 😄

image.jpeg

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Interesting golf things? Just off the top of my head:

1. I started playing about 10 years ago.
  2. I've never made an eagle. Had many eagle putts.
  3. My first birdie ever and my second birdie ever came in the same round. The first was a 3' putt, the second was closer to 30'. They were the only two birdies I hit that year.
  4. I have never made a hole-in-one. My longest hole-out was from about 95 yards, after topping a ball off the tee and doing the same on the second shot. Disgusted, I took out a wedge and just hit it in the direction of the green and just started walking towards the cart. My playing partners who were already on the green all shouted it went in. I didn't even see it. That's the only hole-out I've had outside of 20 yards.
  5. I have never broken 80. I have broken 40 for 9 holes quite a few times now, but never did it twice in the same round.
  6. In my first round ever, I hit a tee shot on a par 3 within 3' and 3-putted for bogey.
  7. My favorite shots to pull off are Houdini shots. I enjoy it more when I pull one off than I do when I bomb it off the tee or stuff an approach shot close to the pin. Shit, maybe that's why I hit the ball in the woods so frequently - must be doing it subconsciously in an attempt to reward myself ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I think half the reason I continue on is maybe the chance to go back to the courses I've played that have been beating me up and reverse course and me beat them up for once. There are some holes I want revenge on as well. Kind of like an amateur runner trying to run a sub 20 minute 5K, something like that. But it's not so much a score but the course. Almost man against fate/nature.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

hmmm lets see....

1) Never made a hole in one...not sure thats interesting though as many people haven't done that. 

2) I have one verified drive over 300 yards at Cherokee Ridge Golf Course in CO. 

3) It took me YEARS of golf before I made my first birdie. I make one every other round or so now. Also, I made an eagle this year on a hole out. 

4) This year I have broken 90 and shot north of 100 in the same week....twice. 

5) I have played golf as a guest to a billionaire. He was very generous. 

Thats it for now I guess...not super interesting lol!

Only took up golf to help get a promotion. Got the promotion and the company went out of business shortly after.

Have never had a hole in one but hit the cup on the fly once, only to have it blast back out to 20’.

my oldest son and I didn’t get along for years, until we golfed one day and now we play just about every weekend.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I hit my first shank with a Mizuno sand wedge while in college in 1990. They’ve stayed with me ever since.

Never had a hole in one.

I once played in a two day tournament and shot 94 day one (shanks) then 75 day two (no shanks) and was accused of sand bagging. I wish that was the case. 

I once made 6 birdies in one round and shot 77 (par 72).

Golf is hard. I can’t imagine a life without it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I've been playing the game for just over half a century.  I played in the JGA for about 4 years while in FL. I met Jackie Gleason when we played a JGA tournament at Jackie Gleason Inverrarry Classic. I've never had a hole in one, but have been within a couple inches several times. My lowest score on a full length course was 77 (Haggin Oaks). I broke two car windshields with one shot in WA. :censored:

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

17 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

I've been playing the game for just over half a century.  I played in the JGA for about 4 years while in FL. I met Jackie Gleason when we played a JGA tournament at Jackie Gleason Inverrarry Classic. I've never had a hole in one, but have been within a couple inches several times. My lowest score on a full length course was 77 (Haggin Oaks). I broke two car windshields with one shot in WA. :censored:

Sheriff Buford T. Justice...one of the greatest characters from film...LOL!

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Sheriff Buford T. Justice...one of the greatest characters from film...LOL!

Yeah, that is a classic.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

I started playing 3 months ago. Ive played 6 total rounds. Ive made par three times. Now golf is all I think about. Poor poor fishing gear collecting dust

Edited by Baccam83

Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!