N8theGr8_1988

You're Down to 4 Clubs in Your Bag...What Are They???

54 posts in this topic Last Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Driver, hybrid, pigeon wedge...and a Canadian Club for cooler weather conditions.  I'd putt with the hybrid.  The Canadian Club could also serve as emergency snake-bite medicine.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I’d choose Driver, 5 iron, 8 iron, sand wedge.

(I once did a 3 club match against a buddy and I think for that one I went 3w, 7i, wedge and he went hybrid, 8i, putter, and we ended up tying lol)

This is interesting...might have to give it a go in a 2 ball format next time I have enough time to do so during a round and the course isn't busy.

I would go Dr, 2H, 7i, GW.  Use the GW or 2H for putting.

4 drivers - you guys are such 'scientists' studying the game down to the nano-details.  I "Feel" my game.

10 hours ago, Piz said:

Driver, hybrid, pigeon wedge...and a Canadian Club for cooler weather conditions.  I'd putt with the hybrid.  The Canadian Club could also serve as emergency snake-bite medicine.

aside - What's a "pigeon wedge"

24 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

4 drivers - you guys are such 'scientists' studying the game down to the nano-details.  I "Feel" my game.

aside - What's a "pigeon wedge"

Years ago, I started calling my pitching wedge a "pigeon" wedge.  Most people don't notice the difference if you say it quickly and casually.  I use a lot of near homonyms...for my own amusement.  Four egg sample:  I sometimes use pear halves in lieu of perhaps.

1 hour ago, Piz said:

Years ago, I started calling my pitching wedge a "pigeon" wedge.  Most people don't notice the difference if you say it quickly and casually.  I use a lot of near homonyms...for my own amusement.  Four egg sample:  I sometimes use pear halves in lieu of perhaps.

charming - a very 'old uncle joe' kind of thing to do

Driver, 4h, 8i, putter. I should try this some time. I know my men's club has done '3 club' events but I haven't had a chance to enter one yet. If it was only 3 clubs, I think I'd take the putter out and use either the driver or 4h for putts. 

Driver, 5i, 56W (lot of sand on my course) and putter. I use my 5i for lot of punch shots from trouble with very good effect.

The question is how many shots do you all estimate you would loose compared to a full 14 club set? I think I would be about 5 shots off at the most.  In fact, it would be a fun idea to plan a full round shot by shot on a particular course and then, at some point execute and compare the results.  

2 hours ago, Piz said:

How about a sandwich?

Putter, SW, 5I and 5W. 

I've tried putting with various wedges and irons and it doesn't work.

Gotta have the wedge for anything inside 60 yards.

The 5W and 5I give me the best mix of distance and reliability.

3W: Not that much a gap between my driver and 3W, and I could much more easily go off the deck with the 3W
5i: Distance iron
8i: Approach iron
54° SW: My home club is brutal around the greens (steep bunkers, tons of bad-close-misses, and lots of tough pin locations); this would give me an approach ~100y and in, and bounce around the greens

My putting is so spotty right now that I could probably putt with any of the above without losing much.

My choices are built around my home club; we're only ~6400y from the tips, but they protect par with tight, tree-lined fairways and difficult greenside areas.  I'd likely go Dr/4H/7i/54W if playing a bigger/longer course. 

Edited by BamaWade

First, a tip of the cap to @N8theGr8_1988 for a nice discussion query.

I would take Driver, 7 iron, pitching wedge and putter.  If I hit my 3 wood more consistently, that might replace the driver.  The course and tee chosen might change things a bit but let's go with this.

Who is going to do it and report?

9 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

First, a tip of the cap to @N8theGr8_1988 for a nice discussion query.

I would take Driver, 7 iron, pitching wedge and putter.  If I hit my 3 wood more consistently, that might replace the driver.  The course and tee chosen might change things a bit but let's go with this.

Who is going to do it and report?

I've already done it. With 3 less clubs yet. 😁

Guessing somewhere between 7 strokes over my average to my average...

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, Osnola said:

3W, Putter, 7i, and GW

Same but I would use a PW instead.

Driver, 2-Iron, PW, Putter. Pretty much all I use anyways, at this time.