IGNORED

Who is on Golf's Mount Rushmore?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Donald Ross, Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Old Tom Morris 

Nicklaus and Palmer would be under construction and Tiger would be scheduled next.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My four would be:

Bobby Jones:  As arguably the founding father of modern golf in America, he deserves a spot.

Arnold Palmer:  Beyond being the quintessential ambassador of golf, he was the original "brand" in the sport.  He turned that umbrella in to hundred of millions of dollars.

Jack Nicklaus:  In his era, no one had the influence that Jack had on the game.  It is hard to say if Jack or Arnie had more influence on the explosion of golf courses built in the 60's and 70's, but I know of a dozen 9 hole munis close to where I grew up that are all gone.

Tiger Woods:  He is simply the greatest to play the game.  He changed the way it was played and brought millions to the sport.  Today he is "the" brand worldwide.  I would not be surprised if one day he becomes the logo.

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

download.jpgSeriously though, Id remove Shooter McGavin and replace him with Payne Stewart.

Edited by snapfade
added text
  • Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

10 hours ago, snapfade said:

download.jpgSeriously though, Id remove Shooter McGavin and replace him with Payne Stewart.

Mr Larson will make you put Shooter back. They're buds now.

Mr Larson.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Historically: Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods, Bobby Jones 

Truthfully: Ben Hogan, Fred Couples, Reteif Goosen, Curtis Strange.

Fantastically: Ben Hogan, Fred Couples, Brooks Koepka, Payne Stewart

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 11 months later...

:-DSomehow John Daly has got to fit on the mountain side, don't you think?

Edited by Billy Z

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• Administrator

Who are you asking? Because, uhhhh, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First answer that comes to my mind is everyone who has won all 4 majors for the men’s side.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Who IS on golf's "Mount Rushmore"?

Nobody, because there isn't one.

Who SHOULD be on golf's "Mount Rushmore"?

Harry Vardon, Bobby Jones, Ben Hogen and Arnold Palmer.

• Booooooooo 1

:ping: G400 SFT driver @ 12 degrees

:ping: G410 3-wood @ 16 degrees, G410 7-wood @ 22 degrees, G410 5-hybrid @ 26 degrees,

:ping: G410 7, 8 & 9 irons, Glide 3.0 wedges @ 46, 52 & 58 degrees

:ping:  Craz-E [Platinum) putter

:cleveland: Smart Sole 4.0 C chipper

8 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

Who IS on golf's "Mount Rushmore"?

Nobody, because there isn't one.

Who SHOULD be on golf's "Mount Rushmore"?

Harry Vardon, Bobby Jones, Ben Hogen and Arnold Palmer.

It would be interesting to see what criteria was used that ignored the 2 GOATs in whichever order.

11 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

First answer that comes to my mind is everyone who has won all 4 majors for the men’s side.

That would be Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods.  One too many, if you limit yourself to the traditional 4.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

6 hours ago, turtleback said:

It would be interesting to see what criteria was used that ignored the 2 GOATs in whichever order.

My criteria for my choices would be influence on the game throughout its history, achievement on the course, and, in general, being a class act and a credit to golf.

Tiger loses out by the last standard.

(How do you explain TWO "Greatest Of All Time"s?)

:ping: G400 SFT driver @ 12 degrees

:ping: G410 3-wood @ 16 degrees, G410 7-wood @ 22 degrees, G410 5-hybrid @ 26 degrees,

:ping: G410 7, 8 & 9 irons, Glide 3.0 wedges @ 46, 52 & 58 degrees

:ping:  Craz-E [Platinum) putter

:cleveland: Smart Sole 4.0 C chipper

2 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

My criteria for my choices would be influence on the game throughout its history, achievement on the course, and, in general, being a class act and a credit to golf.

Tiger loses out by the last standard.

(How do you explain TWO "Greatest Of All Time"s?)

It is a bow of courtesy to the people bound up in their nostalgia about Jack and unwilling to look at the objective facts that indicate that he was surpassed as GOAT by Tiger long ago.  Cf., the massive thread on the topic.

Thanks for sharing your criteria.  I disagree with them, but you are certainly free to choose your own criteria.

Rich - in name only

The fatal flaw in this entire thread is the limitation of four players. If someone were designing a monument to the most important golfers of all time, you'd have to have more.

Vardon, Jones, Hagen, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus and Woods all strike me as incredibly important people. Leaving one of them off seems like a travesty.

Also, in today's day and age, you'd get some pissed off people if a woman didn't make it. Not sure who that would be. Sorenstam, Mickey Wright, Zaharias, Lopez maybe?

Edited by mcanadiens

6 hours ago, turtleback said:

you are certainly free to choose your own criteria.

And nobody exercised ( abused ) this more than Jack.🤭

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 1/1/2021 at 8:36 AM, mcanadiens said:

The fatal flaw in this entire thread is the limitation of four players. If someone were designing a monument to the most important golfers of all time, you'd have to have more.

Vardon, Jones, Hagen, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus and Woods all strike me as incredibly important people. Leaving one of them off seems like a travesty.

Also, in today's day and age, you'd get some pissed off people if a woman didn't make it. Not sure who that would be. Sorenstam, Mickey Wright, Zaharias, Lopez maybe?

It is a Mount Rushmore, not a Hall of Fame.

• Like 1

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 1200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!