IGNORED

Looking for a New Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently started playing a 3-piece ball, the Top Flite Gamer. I chose that ball because I'm cheap and I found those on a twofer a little while ago. I have had very good results with that ball, contrary to what I have read. I don't have a problem with the ball "running out" as it is always within 3 feet of its pitch mark (even on 200 yard 3H approach shots) and most time behind its mark. I like the feel of the ball and the distance is good. My problem is the Gamer is being discontinued without a direct replacement.

I am viewing this as an opportunity to try out other golf balls. I have a box of Srixon Z Stars (which I got for $16 at Dick's when they were on sale a couple of months ago) which I will test when my last box of Gamers is exhausted. I am planning on ordering a box of Snell MTB Blacks and perhaps the Bridgestone E6 Speed and I have been thinking about the 3-piece K-Sig as well. I have read about Cut and Vice balls and don't really have any interest in those, I don't have any reason for my lack of interest or know why they don't interest me, but they don't. 

So right now my short list is:

Srixon Z-Star

Srixon Q-Star Tour

Snell MTB Black

Bridgestone E6 Speed

K-Sig 3-Piece.

My criteria: 3-Piece and cost less than $35 per single dozen. 

My plan to test them is to buy a dozen and use them until they are gone and then make my decision on my overall impression. I know it is not scientific, and probably horribly flawed... but that is the plan. I don't have the ability to take multiple balls out onto course and pit them head-to-head. When I playing on the course I am playing for a score, I am usually trying to get my round in before the sun goes down, and I don't want to pay a green fee to test a bunch of golf balls (I'm cheap... remember.).

So are there any other 3-piece balls which meet the criteria? I don't care about the cover material just yet (although I know 4 out of the 5 I listed are urethane covered balls). I also left the Top Flite Urethane off the list intentionally, not because I don't like Top Flite balls, but because Top Flite are all I have played since I started golf again. I want to check other brands out.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

TaylorMade Project A is a good 3 piece ball, right at your $35 limit.

Thanks for the recommendation... I've not read much about the Project A. I'll have to check it out.

you may want to try OnCore Elixr. Join their club and get discount when purchased directly. I think I paid around $25 a dozen, but went with a two piece instead.  I would buy them again  though.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

The best place to look for new golf balls is in the right rough.  Brier patches are also good...the closer to the tee the better.  Anywhere on the golf course, after Senior day, is also a good bet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• iacas changed the title to Looking for a New Golf Ball
16 hours ago, Piz said:

The best place to look for new golf balls is in the right rough.  Brier patches are also good...the closer to the tee the better.  Anywhere on the golf course, after Senior day, is also a good bet.

"Senior Day"????. Hey I resemble that remark.......lol😁

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Q-Star, Callaway SuperSoft.  Both decent golf balls. good price at walmart or rock bottom

Edited by CaptainsChoice

:tmade: M9.5* Kuro Kage Stiff
:nike: VR Pro 3 Wood 15* Project X 6.0
:nike: VR Pro 3 Iron Project X Rifle 6.0
:tmade: M4 4-6 Project X Rifle 6.0, M4 7-GW KBS Max 85
:cleveland: RTX-3 56* & 60*

I'm a big fan of the Snell balls, I've been playing the MTB for over 2 years, and I just received my shipment of the MTB Black.  I don't think there's a better ball made for the money.  I'll trade a few of those to a friend in order to try the MTB Red that he ordered, and eventually decide which one I prefer.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm a big fan of the Snell balls, I've been playing the MTB for over 2 years, and I just received my shipment of the MTB Black.  I don't think there's a better ball made for the money.  I'll trade a few of those to a friend in order to try the MTB Red that he ordered, and eventually decide which one I prefer.

Yea I agree. Not sure if they are still available but I ordered four dozen of the MTB (2017) ball for 25.00 per dozen. I personally like the older version better than the new one. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

7 hours ago, Par Fore said:

Another vote for Snell MTB Black....love them, stands up to any premium ball IMHO.

Because they ARE a premium ball. They just have a lower price. I've been playing them for most of the season. Almost identical feel to the ProV1x.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I play ProV1s because the kids get them for me for gifts-- with my name stamped on them.

If I had to buy them myself, I'd settle for Top Flite Gamers at a much lower price.

They're nothing like the Top Flites that Spalding used to make, but it's a nice, familiar name.

I'm no longer good enough to worry about ball model.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I played a round Monday with a found Titleist Pro V1X. I shot well (9-strokes better than my previous best at that course). I felt the Pro V1X spun a little too much for my swing. Shots I normally hit 150 yards were traveling 140 or less. The ball seemed to fly a bit higher than my usual 3-piece TF Gamer. I liked the V1X off the driver. It has a really good feel and I hit my normal distances. 

I was gifted three sleeves of V1Xs and will play them just to be sure this one round was not a fluke. But I think it is confirmation that a 4-piece ball is not for me, at least with my current irons. 

I like the Titleist AVX, but it doesn't meet your $35/dozen criteria. I am a half club longer with it off my irons, vs the ProV1x.

If you can find them still around at someplace like Dicks, the prior version of the Bridgestone B330 series was a great ball, and they were selling in the $30 range as they were closing them out.

I have been meaning to try the Snell MTB Black and Red, but just haven't gotten 'round to it.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 1669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!