IGNORED

What Does Winter Golf Look Like to You?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m going out on Sunday in West Palm Beach, Okeehelee course.

I expect about 68 degrees at tee time, warming to about 77 by midday.  Rain unlikely.  That’s pretty typical.

Green fees about double in winter, but there’s no complaining about the conditions.

We are expecting two events here this month, Oasis and Honda Classic.  It’s a wonderful time of year, and not just for golf.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

AD281727-04F2-43FE-B7F7-DF2F31EB6412.thumb.png.ca5b775023ff39f287bd6647535431bb.pngNot warm like Florida...raining Sunday.

Frost in the morning 

That's beach weather here! I would play in any of those temps.

19 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

And the greens will have some loose impedimentsIMG_2430.JPG

Wouldn't those be "goose' impediments? :-P

Sorry, had to.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, IowaGreg said:

Looks something like this...........

See the source image

ColdAmbitiousDogwoodtwigborer-small.gif.478a040b8b3f68165562f2037fd7e46a.gif

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

45 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I’ll bet a tree stand off the fairways might be effective for a deer

Funny you should say that......  2 Yrs about my tree stand was 20 yds away from the local country club 6th Green.  I was 5 ft from the fence line.  I could look left and forward into the woods to watch for deer and 90 degrees to my right to watch the guys putting.  They were well within in bow range....  LOL   I kept my self amused by wondering what reaction I would bet by putting an arrow at one of the balls on the green at they were driving up in their carts....... 

Oh and I did get a nice 8pt 5 yr old from that stand during the rut. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

That's beach weather here! I would play in any of those temps.

Yah, that’s what so used to say, now my blood’s thinned out from the wimpy life I’ve been leading here 😂

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Sorry, had to.

I was tempted to say the exact thing 🤪😂🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What course is this? Is it in San Diego?

6 hours ago, chilepepper said:

Winter golf? It’s a bit of a mixed bag here. Occasional frost delays, suffering through 40-50 deg mornings with 60-80 deg afternoons. Cart path only with the rains we’ve had at times. I really don’t know why we bother. 

D7216B86-CF31-4153-9D6A-AA3076F749FE.jpeg

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

around here it looks a lot like this...  

How-To-Build-a-Home-Golf-Simulator-For-U

• Upvote 2

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Winter golf in Denver is very similar to what @NM Golf said for Albuquerque, except that Denver is about 500 miles further north and thus colder. Basically every course is open, as long as the course isn't completely covered and the ground isn't frozen. I'm sure there's some that shut down completely for the winter, but it's pretty rare. Denver winter weather is highly variable, where we'll have cold snaps and 60 degree temperatures in rapid succession.

The golf itself is also highly variable. 30-60 degrees, depending on the day. Calm or 30+ mph winds. The ground might be pretty frozen, or it might be completely thawed. Generally, courses are pretty dry and baked out, but they can be pretty soggy right after a snow melt, as well. It can even vary from hole to hole. Holes on south facing slopes will play a lot differently from holes on north facing slopes. You might have one hole where you have to play a 30 yard roll out because the ground is frozen and the next hole have to find your embedded ball in the fairway.

It can be fun with the right attitude, but it's not really conducive to great scoring. You're playing just to play, really. Which is fine. My mid-March, courses are getting back into good shape, and the ground tends to be less frozen at that point.

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Sorry, had to.

giphy.gif

Edited by DeadMan
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Well, many winters, we can play throughout the winter without any problems.  But some winters, including this winter, are like this:Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 5.36.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-08 at 5.36.01 PM.png

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Winter golf in Denver is very similar to what @NM Golf said for Albuquerque, except that Denver is about 500 miles further north and thus colder. Basically every course is open, as long as the course isn't completely covered and the ground isn't frozen. I'm sure there's some that shut down completely for the winter, but it's pretty rare. Denver winter weather is highly variable, where we'll have cold snaps and 60 degree temperatures in rapid succession.

The golf itself is also highly variable. 30-60 degrees, depending on the day. Calm or 30+ mph winds. The ground might be pretty frozen, or it might be completely thawed. Generally, courses are pretty dry and baked out, but they can be pretty soggy right after a snow melt, as well. It can even vary from hole to hole. Holes on south facing slopes will play a lot differently from holes on north facing slopes. You might have one hole where you have to play a 30 yard roll out because the ground is frozen and the next hole have to find your embedded ball in the fairway.

It can be fun with the right attitude, but it's not really conducive to great scoring. You're playing just to play, really. Which is fine. My mid-March, courses are getting back into good shape, and the ground tends to be less frozen at that point.

giphy.gif

Love Cary Grant!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Like this...

26736C3E-0BA1-4354-938A-8E3DE8E12582.jpeg

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Oftheunicorn.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If the weather allows play, it's on dormant grass.  The greens are a bit trickier, because they get "nappy", like the bristles on a brush when the blades dry out.  I don't play as much winter golf as I once did, and currently we are actually in a winter weather pattern.  This is our yard 2 days ago:

i-m2xkSkr-XL.jpg

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, IowaGreg said:

Looks something like this...........

See the source image

^^this with feels like temps of down to -30. Been a great winter. Not

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Well, it was going well with 14 rounds in January, albeit with some frost delays and some pocket hand warmers required. Feb 1 got a round in and then winter nailed us.  Snow like crazy, record snowfall and I'm shoveling like crazy so I can get up my driveway. It was looking pretty good there for a bit but time to get the honeydo list done and regrip my clubs and wait for the rain to return here on Van Isle

Note: This thread is 905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!