NM Golf

What Does Winter Golf Look Like to You?

41 posts in this topic Last Reply

I’m going out on Sunday in West Palm Beach, Okeehelee course.

I expect about 68 degrees at tee time, warming to about 77 by midday.  Rain unlikely.  That’s pretty typical.

Green fees about double in winter, but there’s no complaining about the conditions.

We are expecting two events here this month, Oasis and Honda Classic.  It’s a wonderful time of year, and not just for golf.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

AD281727-04F2-43FE-B7F7-DF2F31EB6412.thumb.png.ca5b775023ff39f287bd6647535431bb.pngNot warm like Florida...raining Sunday.

Frost in the morning 

That's beach weather here! I would play in any of those temps.

19 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

And the greens will have some loose impedimentsIMG_2430.JPG

Wouldn't those be "goose' impediments? :-P

Sorry, had to.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

Looks something like this...........

See the source image

I’ll bet a tree stand off the fairways might be effective for a deer

1 hour ago, IowaGreg said:

See the source image

ColdAmbitiousDogwoodtwigborer-small.gif.478a040b8b3f68165562f2037fd7e46a.gif

45 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I’ll bet a tree stand off the fairways might be effective for a deer

Funny you should say that......  2 Yrs about my tree stand was 20 yds away from the local country club 6th Green.  I was 5 ft from the fence line.  I could look left and forward into the woods to watch for deer and 90 degrees to my right to watch the guys putting.  They were well within in bow range....  LOL   I kept my self amused by wondering what reaction I would bet by putting an arrow at one of the balls on the green at they were driving up in their carts....... 

Oh and I did get a nice 8pt 5 yr old from that stand during the rut. 

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

That's beach weather here! I would play in any of those temps.

Yah, that’s what so used to say, now my blood’s thinned out from the wimpy life I’ve been leading here 😂

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Sorry, had to.

I was tempted to say the exact thing 🤪😂🤪

What course is this? Is it in San Diego?

6 hours ago, chilepepper said:

Winter golf? It’s a bit of a mixed bag here. Occasional frost delays, suffering through 40-50 deg mornings with 60-80 deg afternoons. Cart path only with the rains we’ve had at times. I really don’t know why we bother. 

D7216B86-CF31-4153-9D6A-AA3076F749FE.jpeg

12 minutes ago, jimnm said:

What course is this? Is it in San Diego?

Santa Barbara golf course two weeks ago

Winter golf in Denver is very similar to what @NM Golf said for Albuquerque, except that Denver is about 500 miles further north and thus colder. Basically every course is open, as long as the course isn't completely covered and the ground isn't frozen. I'm sure there's some that shut down completely for the winter, but it's pretty rare. Denver winter weather is highly variable, where we'll have cold snaps and 60 degree temperatures in rapid succession.

The golf itself is also highly variable. 30-60 degrees, depending on the day. Calm or 30+ mph winds. The ground might be pretty frozen, or it might be completely thawed. Generally, courses are pretty dry and baked out, but they can be pretty soggy right after a snow melt, as well. It can even vary from hole to hole. Holes on south facing slopes will play a lot differently from holes on north facing slopes. You might have one hole where you have to play a 30 yard roll out because the ground is frozen and the next hole have to find your embedded ball in the fairway.

It can be fun with the right attitude, but it's not really conducive to great scoring. You're playing just to play, really. Which is fine. My mid-March, courses are getting back into good shape, and the ground tends to be less frozen at that point.

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Sorry, had to.

giphy.gif

Edited by DeadMan

Well, many winters, we can play throughout the winter without any problems.  But some winters, including this winter, are like this:Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 5.36.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-08 at 5.36.01 PM.png

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Winter golf in Denver is very similar to what @NM Golf said for Albuquerque, except that Denver is about 500 miles further north and thus colder. Basically every course is open, as long as the course isn't completely covered and the ground isn't frozen. I'm sure there's some that shut down completely for the winter, but it's pretty rare. Denver winter weather is highly variable, where we'll have cold snaps and 60 degree temperatures in rapid succession.

The golf itself is also highly variable. 30-60 degrees, depending on the day. Calm or 30+ mph winds. The ground might be pretty frozen, or it might be completely thawed. Generally, courses are pretty dry and baked out, but they can be pretty soggy right after a snow melt, as well. It can even vary from hole to hole. Holes on south facing slopes will play a lot differently from holes on north facing slopes. You might have one hole where you have to play a 30 yard roll out because the ground is frozen and the next hole have to find your embedded ball in the fairway.

It can be fun with the right attitude, but it's not really conducive to great scoring. You're playing just to play, really. Which is fine. My mid-March, courses are getting back into good shape, and the ground tends to be less frozen at that point.

giphy.gif

Love Cary Grant!

If the weather allows play, it's on dormant grass.  The greens are a bit trickier, because they get "nappy", like the bristles on a brush when the blades dry out.  I don't play as much winter golf as I once did, and currently we are actually in a winter weather pattern.  This is our yard 2 days ago:

i-m2xkSkr-XL.jpg

Edited by Fourputt

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, IowaGreg said:

See the source image

^^this with feels like temps of down to -30. Been a great winter. Not

Well, it was going well with 14 rounds in January, albeit with some frost delays and some pocket hand warmers required. Feb 1 got a round in and then winter nailed us.  Snow like crazy, record snowfall and I'm shoveling like crazy so I can get up my driveway. It was looking pretty good there for a bit but time to get the honeydo list done and regrip my clubs and wait for the rain to return here on Van Isle