IGNORED

Not So Easy To Find The Right Golf Friends

sophia K
Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, SloopDanB said:

I used to not mind playing with strangers back in the day. These days, it sucks. I actually quit my Men's Club (I was new) and every 3 some I got paired up with started in with Politics. These duechebags don't even know me and start talkin' smack about my people! ha ha. Happened 3 months in a row. Bye!

Welcome to The Sand Trap. This is why we don't allow political discussions here either. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I lived in Massachusetts I had 3 or 4 buddies I usually played with. Now in Minnesota, i play with my wife and father in law. I miss my buddies occasionally but I enjoy my rounds much more now. I didn't mind playing alone on the rare time that happened as I was more focused that usual.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

On 2/21/2019 at 12:40 PM, Nutsmacker said:

There are many of us that are envious of your situation.  I have 4 local golf friends and its a challenge to get everyone together any more then a couple of times a month.  

I play alone mostly out of necessity. There is a group of guys I have connected with here, but it’s been tough trying to get on the same schedule. My regular golf buddy only plays in the spring and summer, so I go out by myself whenever I have some time in my schedule.

I joined a club in order to meet some new golf buddies. Took a little time but now I have a pretty big group. As a matter of fact, I usually can't play with everyone when they can. I'm still a working stiff and I think most of those guys can leave the office at noon-one o'Clockish and play during the week. That rules me out. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

14 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I joined a club in order to meet some new golf buddies. Took a little time but now I have a pretty big group. As a matter of fact, I usually can't play with everyone when they can. I'm still a working stiff and I think most of those guys can leave the office at noon-one o'Clockish and play during the week. That rules me out. 

Same boat. If I’m lucky I can run out after work on Friday and play 9 solo. Then occasionally on Sunday mornings I can play 18 if I get out there early.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, boogielicious said:

A lot of folks join leagues for this reason. They find friends in the league and play outside the league with them.

This 100%, at least for me.  I joined a league about 5 years ago.  I've made a good number of friends, 3 of which became my closest friends since moving to Florida 13 years ago. 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for sharing. I probably will find and join a league (hoping there are weekend leagues, great idea btw to meet other golfers). I will keep encouraging my friends and family to learn golf, joining a golf group at social media will help too. And, yep, playing alone occasionally could be nice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I don't mind playing alone once in a while.  It's usually because the place is dead.  I'll end up playing a couple approach shots every hole so I just look at it as practice.

I have a regular group I meet up with.  I enjoy playing with them.  Funny thing is we don't hang out together outside of golf....it's just a golf thing.  Over the winter we have an annual breakfast get together but acts it.  Sort of strange where we spend so much time together and enjoy each other's company and then when winter comes it's , " see u in the spring!"

i wont play with anyone else unless it's a total stranger.  Weird right?  I've told my friends and work counterparts that I quit a few years ago so I don't have to play or spend time with them doing something I like.

Edited by Typhoon92

If ever my friends can’t make it for a round on an 18 holer, I just play my local 9 hole course for £10, then visit the range if I’ve noticed anything needing tweaking.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 6:05 AM, sophia K said:

Like any other sports, it's not so easy to find the right golf friends with similar skills, similar schedules, similar goal, right chemistry.... and of course in the same area. 

I know it's a struggle.  Do what I did,  turn your passion into a business and you can feel less out of place doing your own thing out there.  I feel humbled because I'm doing it at the end of the day to grow the game,  it's a labor of 😍 

Edited by trainsmokegolf

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed reading the responses to this topic!   I noticed that most prefer to play with friends and so do I.  Because time currently time-challenged, I'll play whenever I can, which usually means as a solo at the tail end of the day.  Oh well.   Its better to have played and screwed-up, than to have not played at all    🙂

Recently joined an after-work 9-hole golf league - its really helped in meeting other golfers.

• 2 months later...

You know it can be tough being a female in this sport. Especially if you've been benched for a decade with injuries, like I have. When I played in the past, I would show up as a single and, almost universally, I would be playing with men. Men who outwardly or inwardly groaned at seeing a lady join their foursome.

So.... not a lot of bonding going on there. Although, I did garner some respect. Having grown up in the sport, I wasn't the newbie they were expecting. But, alas, still not a man. You guys do enjoy your male camaraderie. Understandable.

Recently, I took the game back up and enlisted my long-time husband (non-golfer) to join me. We even joined a club. He's a duffer, but a good sport and has a lot of raw talent that I'm curious to see blossom. I admonished him early to get lessons before his bad habits become ingrained, and he's doing that while I rest between rounds (old injuries still need nursing, such a bummer I don't have to tell you).

So... I'm hopeful. We've made a pretty good pair in other walks - I'm an avid poker player and now he's one too! However his passion, motorcycle riding, never stuck with me regardless of road or dirt or how many bikes he bought me. I'm a big fat scared-y cat! 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My business partner got me into the game after his golf trip weekend stag 8 years ago. Since then I've really embraced it. It's funny that the guys from that trip, I now find it boring to golf with because they are just weekend duffer types. I joined a golf club four years ago and it's been great — met lots of good people, found my regular foursome, and am around more dedicated, serious golfers. It's been totally worth the membership fee.

I play with my husband on the weekends and mostly alone during the week, which I actually enjoy. I tried my club’s women’s group but did not exactly enjoy the social and competition aspect of it. I have 2 golf buddies that I met at my club through pairing up on slow days. I usually don’t like playing with strangers but these 2 turned out to match my pace, level and personality. 

Most of the members that play midweek are retired or older at my club, and they have been there for decades. They like to talk about 1. Politics and 2. Who is in the hospital, who didn’t make it, and whose funeral is this week...pretty depressing. 

30 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

They like to talk about 1. Politics and 2. Who is in the hospital, who didn’t make it, and whose funeral is this week...pretty depressing. 

I agree.   I wouldn't have patience with those either.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have had a hard time finding people that I would want to play with again. Aside from a few, most either took too long for me, or they were too negative (wouldn't get excited about good shots or take a compliment, and when they hit a bad shot, they would be angry enough to where I wouldn't want talk to them for fear of more anger), or we just didn't mesh that well. My best friend, @topoftheline89, is the only one that I have really meshed with on the course and keeps up a reasonable pace of play (to me, and I'm really fast), but hopefully next year we are going to do a golf league together and maybe I will meet more golfers like him. Also hoping that golf league helps me with slower pace of play because right now it completely tilts me and can turn a decent round into a bad one.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I will most likely join a local men’s club or league next year. Mainly becauseI don’t have regular golf buddies and usually play alone. 

I played in a work league for a few years but the conversation always seemed to lean towards work.  I left after two years and the league fell apart the year after, for the same reason, so I was told.  I then got a membership but it was mostly retirees with a few younger members but evenings and weekends were so expensive, even with a membership that I’d most often be paired with retirees or play alone.  I have about 1/2 a dozen friends who always like to talk golf but never play, and I have one golf buddy now who doesn’t share my enthusiasm for the game.  We both bought a golf card with a dozen rounds from local courses.  I’ve wound up playing most of those as a single, waiting for my buddy to “find the time” to get out with me.  Maybe it’s me.

Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!