IGNORED

Does winter end your golf year?

GolfTheMoon
Note: This thread is 3087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many rounds do you think you'll play the rest of this year?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many rounds do you think you'll play the rest of this year?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 6+
    • Zero, No more golfing for me this year.

I'll play 6 or 7 rounds in Pinehurst over Thanksgiving week.  Here in Virginia, the weather is getting cooler, so I may not get much in during December.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Still too damn hot down here.  Upper 80's this week.  I know it sounds weird to a lot of the folks out there, but we're praying to finally get some nice cool (relatively) weather!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The temp is still mid to upper 60s here in DC. My goal is to get in as many rounds as possible over the next couple of weeks. Once winter hits  I will be limited to when I visit family in TX and CA (I miss home a lot over winter!). That said, I will continue to work on mirror work pretty regularly. 

My general rule is over 40 degrees and no White Death on the floor. Around here that means that we should be clear for at least the next few weeks. After that it is hit or miss. A really mild stretch can see me play in December, January and February. Just as easy is a cold snap that erases a month or more. 

Seems to me we are due up for a mild winter after the B.S. we put up with the past two.

In Northern Michigan, where I live, once the snow comes -- it stays.  We're having a very nice November so far, so I'm still playing.  There's only one course in the area that's still open as the courses have to prepare for a harsh winter.

Last year I spent two weeks with no heat because our hot water heat on an outside wall froze and seven weeks with no running water for the same reason.  One night at -43 F. froze pipes even 6 feet under ground.

So, no golf during December, January and February.  We might get a course open towards the end of March.

Being retired, I may do what I used to do in my younger days -- hop in my car and drive straight south till I get somewhere it'll get in the 50's, play a couple rounds and head for home.  Doing that once a month will calm my cabin fever.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

I hate the cold. Below 54F is the cut off especially with a breeze. We're into the mid-upper 40s weather now. No white on the ground, but I'm a fair weather golfer. When it's cold, I tense up and it throws everything off. Heated driving range for the winter. Love the heat in the summer.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Still too damn hot down here.  Upper 80's this week.  I know it sounds weird to a lot of the folks out there, but we're praying to finally get some nice cool (relatively) weather!

There should have been a category in the poll for 12+ or more rounds or something. . .:whistle:

The daytime is around 80-ish here, but mornings are really cold. This weekend I am bringing a jacket to tee off at 5:30am. . .Hypothermia is not fun. My fingers were still a little numb for 4 hours after my round.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, since I'll be in Florida tomorrow until the 23rd, I figure I'll knock off 4-5 rounds. Then probably one or two when I get back before it's mostly Range (heated stalls) work until Mid-March when I go back to FL.

Living in Ohio all my life... winter is a permanent fixture along with the snow and cold. Hot or cold.... play continues. Though putting on ice is a deterent... in this case, you just chip to the pin (smile).  40 degrees this morning for a round of 18. For practice times over the winter... I have a practice net setup in the garage and just move out the cars (use practice balls there)... along with putting in chipping in the house.... it helps keep the chops up when the weather is unforgiving.

Dave

Snow ends my season because it closes courses. I had an outdoor golf lesson last year right before Christmas when it was 35° outside. Cold doesn't bother me for golf; I enjoy it and the leafless trees finally are 90% air like the saying says and the courses play softer / more forgiving. I bought the FJ Wintersofs now which might be the missing piece to let me golf sub-freezing since the hands were always the weak point in the past. But I'm at the mercy of the snow which has wiped out winter golf here most of the past two years. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I might hit some balls or play nine if weather and slack time mesh, but I don't plan my week around golf. If it's not 45* and sunny, I won't play.

Also, there's other demands on time: Thanksgiving and Christmas, and January start of new semester.

I use Nov-Feb. to get back to my gym workouts. Also, I get annual tasks like income tax out of the way so I can start up in March.

My wife and I will try a "spring break" trip to Myrtle Beach to launch our golf season. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Once snow starts (and stays), season ends. Otherwise, my home course stays open. Last year I played all the way to Jan 2nd. Then it's off to the dome and trips to warm states. They say it's gonna be a warmer winter. We shall see.

6+ for me. 6 or so weeks left, so I might get in 9 or 10 rounds. Maybe less with the holidays.

Winter in the desert southwest never stops me from playing. Worst case is it might slow me down if cold weather drops down from the north. A cold north wind will keep me indoors. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Voted 6+. It can get pretty cold in NJ but plenty of courses stay open year round. As long as the snow stays away there are enough good days to keep the season going. January and February are when things become more problematic.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

6 hours ago, dkolo said:

Snow ends my season because it closes courses. I had an outdoor golf lesson last year right before Christmas when it was 35° outside. Cold doesn't bother me for golf; I enjoy it and the leafless trees finally are 90% air like the saying says and the courses play softer / more forgiving. I bought the FJ Wintersofs now which might be the missing piece to let me golf sub-freezing since the hands were always the weak point in the past. But I'm at the mercy of the snow which has wiped out winter golf here most of the past two years. 

We should try and play one more round together before the year is out.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

For me, it depends on whether there is snow or not. If there is no snow we can continue play, if there is then not. Last winters were quite hot with less snow, so I hope that is also the case this year, then I will play once a week and throw in some more rounds during the Christmas holiday.

Note: This thread is 3087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!