IGNORED

Why Is Larry Mize Playing the Masters?

mighty
Note: This thread is 1841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have wanted to ask this question for a while, Larry Mize seems to be playing every year even though he probably knows he has no chance of winning. Also a question about the lifetime exemption of a champion, does the exemption reduce the chances of the other exemptions entering the field? What happens if too many past champions sign up?  

50 minutes ago, mighty said:

I have wanted to ask this question for a while, Larry Mize seems to be playing every year even though he probably knows he has no chance of winning.

Let me put it to you this way. If you were told you could play at Augusta every year, even though you had no chance of winning i'm sure you would. How many people get the chance of at least to rounds (not inc. practice rounds) of golf at that place?

The Masters has a certain magic to it that entices past winners back year after year for as long as they are able to.

Just because they are exempt they can choose not to play. Larry must just love the place. Good on him.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He plays because he wants to play. Most of the older, previous champions play without any realistic chance at winning. Like Russ said, wouldn't you play at Augusta if you could?

The old champions do not take up any exemption spots, so the number of oldies that show up has no effect on the field of players that can potentially win it.

From Wikipedia:

Past champions are always eligible, but since 2002 the Augusta National Golf Club has discouraged them from continuing to participate at an advanced age.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

a) because he can

b) nobody is taking a place from anyone else, this is an Invitational.
One with a small, elite, field - if Larry Mize (or anyone else) were to drop out, there would be one less player in the field, there are no alternates, there is no waiting list, there is no Monday qualifier.

Players play, tough players win!

Because no one at Augusta has had the talk with him yet. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Last year he played 2 rounds at AGNC in The Masters and got paid $10K for doing it.

He doesn't suck enough to get "the talk," that's for egregious cases of old geezers out there hacking it around.

2 hours ago, jamo said:

Kind of like this only about still playing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
3 hours ago, jamo said:

And they may not for awhile. In the last five years he’s made three cuts.

Thats more than Tiger Woods. 🙂

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

And they may not for awhile. In the last five years he’s made three cuts.

Thats more than Tiger Woods. 🙂

Lol.  /thread

If I could play in the Masters, I would.  Larry earned the privilege.  Winning the Masters has to be one of the highlights of his career, and he gets to relive it every spring, good for him

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I feel like if you win the Masters, you deserve it.

:whistle:

Part of the charm was seeing Arnold even when we knew he had no chance. Otherwise, I would never have seen the King play a round of golf. Even if he carded an 80, he still had his army. No other place would you see that.

And while Mize certainly isn’t Arnie, he’s a Green Jacket winner and has earned the right.

I remember Doug Ford gettlng a lot of flack for continuing to play every year while in his 80's.  I recall people saying that he was taking someone's spot.  Based on what I'm reading here, that wasn't true at all, so I don't know why they were saying it.  I think it's a great tradition to have past winners play.  This tournament is very very special and that's one of the reasons. 

16 minutes ago, Herkimer said:

Based on what I'm reading here, that wasn't true at all, so I don't know why they were saying it.

This question comes up every year. People simply don't realize that the Masters is different from regular PGA Tour events.

• Thumbs Up 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Because he gets to...wouldn't you?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!