iacas

Bryson Takes 2:15 to Miss an Eight Foot Putt

158 posts / 8921 viewsLast Reply

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Was this posted?

I don't think so, I was gonna post that, but I figured people would look at the tweet thread of the previous posted tweet.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I don't think so, I was gonna post that, but I figured people would look at the tweet thread of the previous posted tweet.

Yeah I thought the same....it’s just painful to watch. He didn’t do this nonsense in college. His just ridiculous.

merlin_159122028_55d5e903-db1c-4b3e-973c

Other golfers had complained about his pace during Friday’s round.

“If it’s not an easy shot, I’m going to take a little bit longer because that’s my job,” DeChambeau said. “I’m trying to do my absolute best. I’m trying to provide entertainment, and I hope that people can realize that it takes more than just me playing a shot in 30 seconds or 40 seconds for us to call it slow play.”

I would disagree. I don’t think you can compare 30-40 seconds to over 2 minutes!!!

Thomas said there are others who need to play faster. But on Friday, DeChambeau was the one in his group and, hence, in his cross hairs. “It’s hard because I should have just said something to him in person,” Thomas said. “If I feel that strongly about it, I don’t need to hide behind it.”

Yep. Please do this going forward Thomas. 

I hate slow play as much as the next guy, but I can’t agree with the idea of hitting players with penalty strokes. Maybe it’s because I was a player once, but I envision these horrible trickle-down effects. Say there’s a player who barely squeezes into the top 125 of the final FedEx Cup points standings because he made a couple of thousand dollars more at a tournament than the player right behind him on the list. Imagine if he’d been hit with a one-stroke penalty at a key moment because he was two seconds over his time. Say the penalty cost him $5,000. Suddenly he’s so far down the FedEx Cup point list he doesn’t have a place to play the following year, which in turn might mean his kid can’t go to college, or he can’t put a down payment on that decent house. Or worse. Basically it means you’ve drastically affected the guy’s life with the click of a stopwatch. I’m all for looking at fine structures, maybe increasing them. But determining his fate with a stopwatch to me is a little harsh.

Slugger White.

Does this guy not ever watch golf? ‘ A little harsh?’ That same example gave could be used for countless other penalties.  Is it harsh that the player’s fate was determined because he accidentally marked his ball 2” closer than its true position? Is it harsh because his fate was sealed when he left a sticker on his iron face that he hasn’t even used? They just don’t have any balls to enforce this. What a shame. 

19 hours ago, iacas said:

The Tour would probably wimp out but if I was a major winner like JT I would.

Rule 5.6 - Unreasonable Delay/Prompt Pace of Play

20 hours ago, Zeph said:

Can they?

Could you assess that penalty in match play? If so and I'm playing against him in a Ryder or a Pres Cup, I'm calling that on the first tee. 

The PGA obviously doesn't (yet) consider this to be an issue worth their input. Their product is selling and that's their bottom line - imo, until they feel that viewership is impacted by slow play they will feel no need to respond to it. 

Slugger's response is ridiculous, I think. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I hate slow play as much as the next guy, but I can’t agree with the idea of hitting players with penalty strokes. Maybe it’s because I was a player once, but I envision these horrible trickle-down effects. Say there’s a player who barely squeezes into the top 125 of the final FedEx Cup points standings because he made a couple of thousand dollars more at a tournament than the player right behind him on the list. Imagine if he’d been hit with a one-stroke penalty at a key moment because he was two seconds over his time. Say the penalty cost him $5,000. Suddenly he’s so far down the FedEx Cup point list he doesn’t have a place to play the following year, which in turn might mean his kid can’t go to college, or he can’t put a down payment on that decent house. Or worse. Basically it means you’ve drastically affected the guy’s life with the click of a stopwatch. I’m all for looking at fine structures, maybe increasing them. But determining his fate with a stopwatch to me is a little harsh.

Slugger White.

Good grief, for soooo many reasons.

Let’s start with protecting the field.  By turning a blind eye, the player at 126 is harmed in exactly the same way as a slugger is claiming that the #125 slow player would have been, but through no fault of his own.

We don’t seem to have a problem assessing a penalty with a stopwatch when it comes to the 3 minute search rule...

14 hours ago, David in FL said:

I’d really have liked to see them walk over and sit on their golf bags. 

Maybe walk over to a consession stand and grab a hot dog

Why are you all so ANGRY? A threesome playing a PGA tour event finished in less than 5 hours. A few minutes longer than AVERAGE. So what.

Something tells me this won't turn into the Bryson DeChambeau Fanclub.

The pacing is good enough reason to allow the use of rangefinders.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Slugger White.

Does this guy not ever watch golf? ‘ A little harsh?’ That same example gave could be used for countless other penalties.  Is it harsh that the player’s fate was determined because he accidentally marked his ball 2” closer than its true position? Is it harsh because his fate was sealed when he left a sticker on his iron face that he hasn’t even used? They just don’t have any balls to enforce this. What a shame. 

Yeah I tend to agree with this not administering penalty strokes idea. It could be a direct, negative impact on a pro golfer's lively hood. It could bring about issues that might effect their families as far as income restraints.

I am of the opinion that larger fines might be a better way to go. Say 25% of the golfer's net winnings for the tournament. One warning, and on the second violation 25% gone. A third violation, another 25% gone. Yes it's another form income restaints, but at least the golfer is losing his own winnings. It's not being taken away by others. 

Maybe put habitual slow players at the later starting times, and the faster players taking the early starting times. I mean the pro ranks are full of statistics, It would be nothing to add a "speed of play" stat, use that stat to place player in their appropriate starting time. Then on Sundays let the leaders still go last for TV coverage like always.

Then again, as mentioned above, things seem to be going well for the pro tours, so why mess with something that isnt broke?

Slow play, unless the game is totally changed from what we have now, will always be a part of every level of golf. 

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Yeah I tend to agree with this not administering penalty strokes idea. It could be a direct, negative impact on a pro golfer's lively hood. It could bring about issues that might effect their families as far as income restraints.

And what about the other players in the field? Their income is being negatively affected by a penalty being withheld from a player who earned one.

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Was this posted?

That's insane! The PGA is going to have to enforce their rules with this guy.

Edited by iacas
moved post outside of quote

3 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Why are you all so ANGRY? A threesome playing a PGA tour event finished in less than 5 hours. A few minutes longer than AVERAGE. So what.

Because the best way to do the opposite of growing the game and have people think it is exciting is to watch a professional labour for 2 and a half minutes over an 8 foot putt as if he is designing a spaceship. It's about the shot, not the round.

3 hours ago, Patch said:

So can any other violation. So now we assess whether to give a penalty based on the livelihood of the player? That’s why rules are supposed to be followed and that’s why there are consequences if one doesn’t. If you need to feed your family then move your ass and play in time. Period.

7 hours ago, colin007 said:

Could you assess that penalty in match play? If so and I'm playing against him in a Ryder or a Pres Cup, I'm calling that on the first tee. 

Sure. Or in stroke play.

I'd like to think that if I were Justin Thomas, he could read the tea leaves and know he'd be a hero to many if he said "Hey, I added a penalty stroke there under 5.6. We can fight about it if you want in the scoring tent but speed it up bud or I'll keep penalizing you, and the third one's a DQ."

4 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Others replied, but… you're nuts if you think that taking 2:15 to hit a 9' Putt is acceptable.

4 hours ago, Patch said:

I am of the opinion that larger fines might be a better way to go. Say 25% of the golfer's net winnings for the tournament. One warning, and on the second violation 25% gone. A third violation, another 25% gone. Yes it's another form income restaints, but at least the golfer is losing his own winnings. It's not being taken away by others. 

Maybe put habitual slow players at the later starting times, and the faster players taking the early starting times. I mean the pro ranks are full of statistics, It would be nothing to add a "speed of play" stat, use that stat to place player in their appropriate starting time. Then on Sundays let the leaders still go last for TV coverage like always.

Then again, as mentioned above, things seem to be going well for the pro tours, so why mess with something that isnt broke?

Slow play, unless the game is totally changed from what we have now, will always be a part of every level of golf. 

A ridiculous post, @Patch, on many levels.

• 25% of of their net winnings is MORE than a stroke or two-stroke penalty would cost them (unless they went from first to second).
  • Their "net" winnings? Are we letting them deduct expenses or something, somehow?
  • You want to accommodate the slow players and penalize fast players by making the schedule and tee times to accommodate the slow guys? And what about during rounds 3 and 4?
  • Things are NOT going well with the pro tours. Look at the player outrage. Look at the fan outrage. What are you even talking about?