IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather...? #27: Assume you're told you're going to shoot a net even par round and play to your handicap. Assume you're also told you're going to shank three balls. Would you rather: a) shank them on the first three holes, b) shank them on the last three holes, or c) shank them randomly throughout the round?

Why?

I’ve done all three options in one round. I would probably choose the random as that’s what I’m most familiar with. 

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather...? #27: Assume you're told you're going to shoot a net even par round and play to your handicap. Assume you're also told you're going to shank three balls. Would you rather: a) shank them on the first three holes, b) shank them on the last three holes, or c) shank them randomly throughout the round?

Why?

I'm all for shanking those suckers early and getting the bitter taste out of my mouth.  Then, at the 19th hole, when asked, I can say, "Shanks, what shanks?"

42 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve done all three options in one round. I would probably choose the random as that’s what I’m most familiar with. 

You know Vinsk, when you die and go to golf heaven (which is at least 60 years from now) you will be presented with Pebble Beach, a new golf bag, a personal caddie and never another shank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'd take the shanks early, perhaps even all 3 on the first hole, lol.  What, that's not one of my choices? Fine, on the first 3 holes then. After that, they'll be out of the way and I'd have to be pretty good the rest of the round to get to net par after such a starting disaster.

Incidentally, I have been having a little bit of a case of the shanks lately, post-shutdown, albeit seemingly randomly throughout the round, sometimes more than three per round, unfortunately. All with my partial wedges, sometimes from only 10-15 yards... I think because my takeaway is too far inside on those shots, as I may set up too open.

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Why?

I believe as painful as it would be, I'd chose to have them the first three holes.   I could then believe I had worked out the problem and reduced the possibility of shanks in future rounds.   If they were on the last three holes, I'd have to spend a considerable amount of time on the range trying to figure out where the heck my game was.   If they were random, it's time for lessons to help solve the issue.      If I had three shanks in a round, it's time to talk to the instructor.      

Playing net par is always good but I'd still come away not happy with my round.    Been there, done that.

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

For me "knowing" is the operative word here.  Since we would be foretold that three shanks would happen and when, I would rather get them out of the way early on for a couple of reasons as it would get the monkey off the back and second early on says that it won't be an issue later.  This plays into the mental side as well, as it frees the mind to know that after the first three holes, it will be relatively event free.   

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, WillieT said:

For me "knowing" is the operative word here.  Since we would be foretold that three shanks would happen and when, I would rather get them out of the way early on for a couple of reasons as it would get the monkey off the back and second early on says that it won't be an issue later.  This plays into the mental side as well, as it frees the mind to know that after the first three holes, it will be relatively event free.   

Sure.

FWIW, the point of the question is… if the three shanks come late, you would have been under net par for most of your round. If it was early, you would have been over net par and worked your way back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Sure.

FWIW, the point of the question is… if the three shanks come late, you would have been under net par for most of your round. If it was early, you would have been over net par and worked your way back.

Gotcha as the "dimly lit light bulb comes on".  The question for me now becomes, what is better  - to "lose" the net par or to "gain" it back.  In my life I have always cherished the recovery moments better than the have it in my grasp and lose it.  In recent rounds, seeing myself play better after disaster moments (shanks included) provided a deeper sense of accomplishment.  Great question Erik (@iacas) - have missed these questions. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

4 hours ago, iacas said:

#27: Assume you're told you're going to shoot a net even par round and play to your handicap. Assume you're also told you're going to shank three balls. Would you rather: a) shank them on the first three holes, b) shank them on the last three holes, or c) shank them randomly throughout the round?

Why?

A) Shank on the first three holes.

I’d rather walk away with a decent score knowing I recovered from an early case of the shanks, than wonder what my score could have been if I hadn’t had the shanks for the last three or randomly throughout the round. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

C, I think. I feel like if it is consecutively, then something is seriously wrong. If it is random, then it could be just stupid mistakes. Honestly if I shanked 3 holes off the bat, I’d be going back to the clubhouse.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

I would rather it happen on the first three holes because it would tend to make me focus more for the rest of the round.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

Shank them in the first 3 holes.  That means I settled down and played net under par for the last 15 holes.  Not only am I pleased that I corrected and overcame the deficit, but it also leaves me feeling positive moving forward...

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

As soon as I saw this question I had to look for your response!  :-D

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

I'm going with "c" throughout the round because that's what happened to me last year.  I shanked on holes #1, #4, and #9 and yet birdied twice near the end of the round to shoot 75 (6.1 which pretty much matches my handicap).  Amazingly, two of the shanks happened in front of water hazards but were so bad I missed the hazards and saved bogey.  Also can't get over the fact that the previous day I set a PR with five birdies and no shanks, yet shot a stroke higher 76.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Shank them in the first 3 holes.  That means I settled down and played net under par for the last 15 holes.  Not only am I pleased that I corrected and overcame the deficit, but it also leaves me feeling positive moving forward...

This.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

A. I know they’re coming, right? I just want them out of the way. I can also say I’ll feel better because the fresh memories are holes I played well.

C is basically the inverse of that and I’ll walk off the course feeling annoyed that I struck the ball poorly at the end. B doesn’t work for me because I know they’re coming but not when so I’ll have that constant feeling of dread over the entire round wondering if the next shot will be the one.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’s sad my friend, but whenever I shank one, I think of you!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, gbogey said:

Amazingly, two of the shanks happened in front of water hazards but were so bad I missed the hazards and saved bogey. 

The nerve......

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It’s sad my friend, but whenever I shank one, I think of you!

Yes, yes. It’s a curse the Gods bestowed on me years ago. I’m Kalibus from Clash of the Titans.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 2 weeks later...

Would You Rather...? #28: Use only a driver for the entire round or only a putter for the entire round? Why?

“I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone’s golf game. It’s called an eraser.” - Arnold Palmer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dynatour Titanium Matrix Driver, Top Flite 3W, 4HY, 5HY, 6,7,8,9 irons,PW, Ping Eye2 Gorge Lob Wedge, Top Flite Putter

15 minutes ago, ejm1994 said:

Would You Rather...? #28: Use only a driver for the entire round or only a putter for the entire round? Why?

Driver.  Primarily because I’d destroy a putter in a few holes...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1