IGNORED

Difficult Playing Conditions

Cantankerish
Note: This thread is 1624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get annoyed with the dewy 7 AM grass grabbing the face of my clubs when I chip.  I marvel at the wind owning my would-be solid strikes.  Shots with altitude changes make it hard for me to judge distance. Slope-infested greens, insane heat, fairways in need of some rain, foggy mornings, etc, all create challenges.

Which ones do you hate to encounter?

Which do you thrive in?

What stories can I get from you about your experiences in difficult conditions?

Do you consider these conditions part of the game? A fun additional challenge? Something to be avoided when you can?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

I get annoyed with the dewy 7 AM grass grabbing the face of my clubs when I chip.  I marvel at the wind owning my would-be solid strikes.  Shots with altitude changes make it hard for me to judge distance. Slope-infested greens, insane heat, fairways in need of some rain, foggy mornings, etc, all create challenges.

Which do you thrive in?

Do you consider these conditions part of the game? A fun additional challenge? Something to be avoided when you can?

I grew up playing in the wind in the St. Louis area.  Qualifying for the high school golf team or the university team (scant miles from St. Louis) in the Spring was hell!  I am no longer there and I will no longer play in the wind.  Period.  Even when I play WGT I set the wind at "low".

But I will play in the snow.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
Correcting a tipo.

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I am no longer there and I will no longer play in the wind.  Period.  Even when I play WGT I set the wind at "low".

Would be tough to golf in Michigan...

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

35 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Which do you thrive in?

Learn to chip with your putting stroke. (Paul Runyon) When done properly, with a clean lie, the club face rarely touches the turf. 

As for me, wind is my bugaboo. Especially two club plus winds. Not only do higher winds make for less than good ball flights, the wind causes physical fatigue to set in faster. 

High winds on a open green are the worst. After a great, accurate green read, your rolling ball is still at the mercy of the wind. 

There's a hole at one of the Primm Valley courses, where the tee box is on top of a hill, with the green 150'+/- feet below. There is usually a good afternnon wind blowing. 30+ mph. 

Here's the shot. Your ball is tee'd up at 6:00, with the hole at 12:00, 160 yards away. East to west "air" fairway. Depending on if it's a north, or south wind, you hit the ball at either 3:00, or 9:00, and let the wind carry (curve) the ball back over the green. When you get to the wind protected green, there is absolutely no wind. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I avoid playing in windy conditions, especially when tumbleweeds are rolling across the fairways. I don’t play in the rain either since if there is rain, there will be wind. I don’t mind the cold as long as the sun is out (and no wind), and if there is snow on the course, I’d be on the mountain skiing already...

42 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Which do you thrive in?

I have to admit I like the challenge. I actually practice knock-downs and stingers. Don't get me wrong. I do not score as well in windy conditions, but I enjoy the challenge. 

Where I thrive is when the course plays super slow. Let me explain. I am NOT a slow player. But, some times when playing tournaments you will encounter slow play. I remember one tournament round I played where the round took about 6 hours. (Yeah, I know) I didn't play any better in these conditions mind you, but I didn't let it bother me either. Most everyone else became frustrated and many people played much worse. So, it brings the field back to me. I play better relative to the rest of the field, who generally play much worse. Slow play in tournaments nearly always helps me out. 

But let me be clear. I do NOT encourage, endorse, or condone slow play.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I’m pretty much a golf addict but I won’t play in the rain unless it starts raining in the middle of a tournament. If there is a chance of rain I will reschedule the round. 

I enjoy playing in the wind.  I also enjoy leaving a trail when I putt and watching the rooster tail.  I'll take cool, gray, and blustery, over hot and stifling, any day.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

32 minutes ago, Piz said:

I enjoy playing in the wind.  I also enjoy leaving a trail when I putt and watching the rooster tail.  I'll take cool, gray, and blustery, over hot and stifling, any day.  

So you've been to Michigan!?! 

I will not play in the rain or if it is below 50F.  Wind is the biggest factor when I play but I just go with it.  I have yet to figure out why on my home course the wind can be in my face on 14 of 18 holes!

30 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I will not play in the rain or if it is below 50F.  Wind is the biggest factor when I play but I just go with it.  I have yet to figure out why on my home course the wind can be in my face on 14 of 18 holes!

Funny you should mention that.. I Rollerblade around a Metroparks lake and it seems like I'm always skating into a head wind. 

49 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

So you've been to Michigan!?! 

I was born and raised there.  Detroit then Midland then banishment to the south.  I must have done something very bad in a previous life.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I'm easy going when it comes to conditions.  Versus a field, I'd say give us tough conditions and I'll do better.  I can and have played in almost every condition, and the only one I really don't like is a colder (like low 40's and lower), rainy, and very windy day.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

I generally have the same rules unless I am playing somewhere special where the rain and temperature are part of the typical experience. Though I did play a scramble in freezing weather once...free round of golf so figured why not!?

Any time there is a ball at my club-face, it seems to be a difficult condition.

Joking aside, full blown rain stops me, and we will see how my first Ohio winter is, because I plan on playing during weekend days year round. I have a feeling that under 40 is going to steer me away really quickly

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

7 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Any time there is a ball at my club-face, it seems to be a difficult condition.

Joking aside, full blown rain stops me, and we will see how my first Ohio winter is, because I plan on playing during weekend days year round. I have a feeling that under 40 is going to steer me away really quickly

Even for nutters like you, I wouldn't bet on more than four weekend rounds between January and February.

May get lucky and have a nice winter, but when the snow falls it can stick around for quite some time. 

Note: This thread is 1624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!