IGNORED

What Are Your 2020 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1.  Shoot under 90 more than 6 times by playing smarter and playing more

2.  Walk more rounds in the spring, fall, and winter

3.  improve my wedge play by practicing with the wedges more.

4.  Play more than 52 rounds of golf                                                                                                                                                               

Basically the same as 2019. To stay healthy, and score in the low 80s....most of the time. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I plan on making a heroic comeback this Spring after sitting out a year with two partially torn tendons in my elbow.  I would like to come back better than ever and actually gain distance on my drives.  I've been doing nothing except practice putting for the last 7 months... I should be good there.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I really don't need to think much to answer this.

I need to get back into MUCH better physical shape first. In the past 3 months, I've fallen 3 times and I wrenched a knee in 2 of those falls. It's kept me from walking as much as I did and I definitely feel it on the course. I've become way too sedentary and I feel it badly.

Once I regain some strength, I need to get a contractor to the house to rebuild my practice area. The net is fine, but the ground under my mat has become unlevel. I'm going to put concrete under it. I'm also looking to have a company build a practice green about 12 feet in diameter.

Then lessons, so I can come home and practice the correct things.

I'm 70 years old. My long term goal is to shoot my age before I'm 75.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

Been away from the game for almost ten years--one abortive attempt to return five or six years ago.  Retirement, the Big C, back issues, blah, blah, blah.  Let's just say life got in the way.  So, my goals are pretty rudimentary:

1.  Return to golf at the most basic level--play and practice regularly.  Obviously, if I don't attain this goal, all else is moot.

2.  Join a men's association and start competing at the most elementary levels.  The camaraderie will keep me going and the mild discipline of competition will keep me focused and honest, increase my practical rules knowledge, etc.  Nothing intense here--somewhere you can find me way down in the high handicap flights.  I would rate this as the important goal.

3.  Start carrying a handicap (or whatever you guys are calling it after the 2020 introduction of the new system).  I think this would occur fairly naturally if I click with a group in goal 2.  But if I'm a sporadic participant, and life generally gets in the way, I could see this goal slipping into to 2021.

I admit that I can't offer the level of specificity some of you guys demonstrate above.  My apologies, I'm just not there yet.  But I wanted to enter into the spirit of the thing.

I had a heart attack in October 2018, and last year the huge majority of my golf was 9 hole rounds. My strength came back, and my scoring was good, but I want to play more 18 hole rounds this year.

• Break 80 (previous low is 86, handicap is 16.9)
    • Improve driving off the tee. Need to cut penalties and poor drives in half. Currently lose 4-6 strokes a round off the tee with driver from penalties or shots where I have to punch out / hit long irons 
    • Improve lag putting and putting in general, averaging around 38 putts a round. Want to average 34 or less. 
    • Improve short game. Need to leave myself with more shots at 1 putt per round. Specifically on confidence and decision making around when to putt, chip or pitch. Need better technique for shots that require higher ball flights at short distance
  • Improve my swing - ball first contact on most swings 
    • Working on increasing my shaft lean from perpendicular to the ground to slightly forward - really work on Keys 2 and 3 
    • Better pivot before impact - shoulders and hips more open than current swing 
    • Shorten swing to slightly before parallel
  • Beat my dad on 18 holes (he is an 8 handicap. I have beaten him on 9 holes.) 

Pretty much a continuation of last year.

• Work on Key #4 (basically ballstriking - hit the ball solid more consistently)
  • Continue filming a couple of swings during rounds when possible.
  • Work on dialing in distance wedges. Get better at pinpointing 1/2, 3/4, partial backswings.
  • Distance control w/finesse wedges.
  • Try and break 40 for 9 on home course.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Pretty much a continuation of last year.

• Work on Key #4 (basically ballstriking - hit the ball solid more consistently)
  • Continue filming a couple of swings during rounds when possible.
  • Work on dialing in distance wedges. Get better at pinpointing 1/2, 3/4, partial backswings.
  • Distance control w/finesse wedges.
  • Try and break 40 for 9 on home course.

I'll encourage you to take another stab at those. Good goals are SMART: 

• Specific
  • Measurable
  • Achievable
  • Relevant
  • Timely

Not a lot of the S or M in your goals list.

#trynahelp

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1. Break 90 (used to do this regularly)

2. Break 80

3. Improve H’cap to below 15

4. Play 5 courses off my ‘must play’ list

5. Take a golf trip to Spain / Portugal 

6. Get more involved at the club - possibly get on the committee in 2020

7. Win something - anything, doesn’t matter what. But I’ll enter all the various comps at my club

8. Get a country membership at a second club to play somewhere different once a month.

2020 game improvement goals

Lower score by more quality time on the course and practicing driving, mid and short game.

Release and follow through by practicing consistent release points and completing follow through.

Break 80. Close a few time but that means nothing. Consistent play without that miserable double thrown in. More pars. Keeping it simple. No need for new clubs, new grips for the start of the season just like every year. 

In the Wilson Ultras I trust!

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Golf Goals 2020

- Break 70

- Get from a 4 handicap to scratch

- See an AimPoint instructor

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Goals for 2020: 

1.) Break 70 at least once and be consistently below 75 in scoring 

2.) be able to hit the low spinning “one hop and stop” chip shot

How to accomplish:

1.) practice with purpose... dedicate actual time to specific areas of my game that need improvement (ie. distance control and driver accuracy) pick targets and stick to them. Don’t settle for missing targets and chalking it up to “just a bad shot” figure out what you did wrong and work to correct it

2.) not sure how to go about this one not many good short game practice areas around me with large greens but set up targets and towels for landing areas and make sure balls don’t roll out further than the allotted distance from the landing zone not only will this lead to closer birdie putts and lower scores but more confidence to stick them close around the green 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, iacas said:

Like our 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2011 , 2012 , 2013 2014, 2015201620172018, and 2019 threads, here's the official thread for 202!

The rules are the same as they've been:

1. Post your goals personal golf-related goals for 2020. Be specific and thorough.
  2. Elaborate on how you'll go about achieving these goals. Details, people! :-)
  3. Post just once, though if you reach all of your goals, you should quote your post and revise them later in the year. And set harder goals next year.
  4. Keep the replies to a minimum. This thread is mostly for the posting of goals. If you want to encourage more discussion of your goals, post a copy of them in your Member Swing thread.

If you're looking to recap your 2019 goals, that topic can be found right here.

Let's hear 'em!

1.I hope to shoot par on one of my regular courses this year and lower my handicap from a 9 to 5 or better. 

2.I plan to achieve said goals with my steadfast commitment to my work with George Gankas's online academy.  Ever since I started following him, I went from shooting in the mid to high 80's last season to shooting in the high 70s this year so I am committing myself to his teachings for the long term.  I will continue to do work on the range with a continued focus on deliberate practice as well as work at home with a camera and foam balls as well as a focus on strengthening my core to improve my balance. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

My goals for 2020 are:

1. I would love to break 40 at least three times for nine holes, at least one in my matches this season. However, I’ve come to a standstill in practice, so I need to get back on it. I haven’t come close to breaking 90 since October.

2. I would like to break 90 several more times, and break 85 once. Just once, and I’ll be happy. Again, I need to practice.

3. Going from about 50% makes from 5ft to at least 80%. That’s been my trouble lately, as I have been missing a bunch of 4- and 5-footers lately. To do this, twice a week, I will stay on the practice green for 30 mins just working on those short putts.

4. I want to play in our club’s annual Sat./Sun. Club Championship. This goal is self-explanatory, but I still need to practice. There are two men’s divisions, blue tee and white tee. The blue tee division usually has winning gross scores of around 155, the white tee around 170. I think if I practice hard enough, I can win the white tee division and have my name on the club’s snack bar and pro shop doors for a year.

5. Increase my drive accuracy from 50% to 70%. For this to happen, I should hit at least half a dozen drivers per range session, and they’ve gotta be within a 40-yard-wide range (about how wide our fairways are). 

And finally...

6. My current handicap is 18.6. I’m looking to bring that down to a 14 or lower. Will take lots of practice, but I think I can do it with hard work.

So, there you have it, my goals for 2020. My brother and I are playing tomorrow morning, so I’ve got a crack at starting goals 1 and 2!

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Each year I get off to a terrible start and my handicap usually goes up 1 or 2 strokes before I get my game together. This year my goal is to start off scoring better and to drop my handicap from a 12.4 to a 9.9 or better by years end.  In order for this to happen I must become a better ball striker on a more consistent basis. I have built an indoor practice area in my shed and plan on practicing at least 4 or 5 times a week. I am considering purchasing a sky trak to get a good indication of what is happening in my swing. 

Rodney 

Practice with a purpose!  I drive the ball well enough to not have to hit a mid iron on every hole but spend most of my range time hitting 150+ yard shots.   I play from about 6200-6500 yards and drive the ball about 265.  That usually puts me within a wedge on most par 4s and usually every par 5.   Why I have spent all these years using my range time smashing 6,7,8 irons all day is beyond me.   This year i need to dial in the approach shots with my PW, 50, 54, 58 wedges and start hitting shots to put me in a scoring position from within 40-125 yards!  

I have to accept that when I am pulling a mid iron on a hole that I will likely be shooting par and that I have a better shot at lower scores if I can master the scoring clubs (wedges).  

Note: This thread is 1234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!