iacas

What are Your 2019 Golf Goals?

66 posts in this topic Last Reply

Like our 2008 , 2009 , 2010 , 2011 , 2012 , 2013 2014, 201520162017, and 2018 threads, here's the official thread for 2019!

The rules are the same as they've been:

1. Post your goals personal golf-related goals for 2019. Be specific and thorough.
  2. Elaborate on how you'll go about achieving these goals. Details, people! :-)
  3. Post just once, though if you reach all of your goals, you should quote your post and revise them later in the year. And set harder goals next year.
  4. Keep the replies to a minimum. This thread is mostly for the posting of goals. If you want to encourage more discussion of your goals, post a copy of them in your Member Swing thread.

If you're looking to recap your 2018 goals, that's over here in this topic.

Let's hear 'em!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I have a glaring weakness in my short game.   

According to Game Golf:

I'm losing 3.6 strokes to a 15 handicap player, but gaining strokes everywhere else  

Losing 4.42 strokes to a 10 hdcp  while losing only 1 stroke off the tee, losing 1.4 strokes on approaches, and gained 1.1 strokes putting

During the year, I developed the chipping yips and anything from 50 yards and in scares the hell out of me.    I've hit three chip shots from 20 yards.  I've had rounds where I can count as high as 7 strokes I could have saved if I had a good short game.  It's may be a mental issue because on a practice mat, which may mask the error, I'm some better.   On grass, it's like I've never swung a club.   

I believe with a fix in this glaring weakness I can lower my handicap two strokes.    I'm going back thru my lesson notes and videos to review what my instructor has shown.   I'd like to make this a strength where I don't lose strokes to a 10 hdcp player.   Since the season is winding down in Michigan, I'll go indoors at least once per week with heavy focus on my short game.  I think it may be time for another short game lesson.  

In 2019, which actually started today for me, all I want is to play at least one, or two rounds a week. Sometimes more. 

The other days of the week that I don't play 9/18 holes, I will be practicing various shots, and/or my puuting. Doing something with a golf club every  day is also a goal.

I will also be happy to keep most of my rounds in 80s, while occassionally breaking 80 a few times. I also expect some scores in the 90s too.

Of course to accomplish those playing, and scoring tasks, my health will be the determining factor as to how successful I am. 

Basically I just want keep hitting golf balls for another year.

Edited by Patch

2018 was the year I finally broke through to under the 13.0 handicap level.

In 2019, I'd like to break 80 and complete the no sixes challenge.

How?

* Continued practice and lessons (evolvr).  I do at least 5 minute of practice most nights, thanks to having room to practice at home (this probably also helped my handicap decrease).  

* I periodically analyze which holes I'm averaging the worst on at my home course, and try to look into seeing what I can do about those in particular.

I think breaking 80 will occur naturally as a consequence of these, eventually.  And with my scoring average going down, I think no sixes is doable -- many of my rounds at home have only one or two such scores. 

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

2018 was the year I finally broke through to under the 13.0 handicap level.

In 2019, I'd like to break 80 and complete the no sixes challenge.

How?

* Continued practice and lessons (evolvr).  I do at least 5 minute of practice most nights, thanks to having room to practice at home (this probably also helped my handicap decrease).  

* I periodically analyze which holes I'm averaging the worst on at my home course, and try to look into seeing what I can do about those in particular.

I think breaking 80 will occur naturally as a consequence of these, eventually.  And with my scoring average going down, I think no sixes is doable -- many of my rounds at home have only one or two such scores. 

I have gotten to where I break 80 about 20% or so of the time. It is a good feeling considering the journey and where I had started. I looked back on a few years of score cards recently and think I found only one where I had no 6’s! For me breaking 80 is much easier than the no 6’s challenge. I am usually fairly consistent with very few blow up holes with doubles or triples so it was usually a par 5 that did me in. A typical round below 80 would have maybe 1 double, 1 birdie, 10 or so pars and half a dozen bogies. Usually a 3 putt in there, 8 to 10 GIRs and near 50% scrambling success. Good luck in your quest!

My 2019 Goals

Short Game - Improve my short game inside of 25 yards. Gamegolf says I can improve my short game by 1.43 strokes compared to a scratch golfer. I only hit the ball with in 15 FT of the pin 63% of time. I think that is pretty bad. I want to drop my strokes gained short game by 2 stroke this year. I will achieve this by working on my short game more consistently, with proper technique.

Approach Shots - I need to work on my GIR%. My GIR% is 23% points lower than a scratch golfer. I want to improve my GIR% to above 55% next year. I will do this by continuing practicing my priority pieces, and figuring out a way to play golf with out getting to mechanical on the course.

Lag Putting - Improve my distance control. Gamegolf says I can improve my putting by .5 strokes by improve my distance control. My goal is to have a strokes gained zero or better in this aspect of my putting. I will achieve this by practicing distance control more often to gain the proper feel.

SWING:

I may add further specifics later but my overall 'goal' this year is to stay dedicated to my backyard net-practice which I begun couple of months ago. I have identified two major fault tendencies that affect BS and one that affects impact. I can honestly say that if I manage to conquer these regressive faults then it will be a huge win for 2019 all by itself. 

PLAY:

No 'goals' for amount of play but would be really nice if I can check off one bucket list course in 2019. Have a few in mind to pick from but not decided. 

My 2019 Goals

1. Improve my swing. I worked very hard last year on this, but did not progress forward. Giving it one more year since I have more systematic instruction.

2. Handicap down to 3. Hung around 7 with zero practice, increased to 9 by trying to improve my swing last year.

3. Improve my lag putting (weakness). 1  3-putt per 18 holes max.

4. Improve wedge play. 100-30 yards.

I say the same thing every year....Play more often. Family commitments prevent me from playing as much as i'd like, having two sons  (5 and 2) take a lot of my time. Still, wouldnt change it for the world as they are a nice "problem" to have :-D

I would like to break 85. 

I will continue to take lessons, focus most of my efforts on my full swing and hope to resolve my glaring short game struggles.

1. Maintain syncing, shallow and rotation improvements learned in 2018.
  2. Continue work on Key #1, #4, plane is a little steep from 3-4 and shallow 6-7.
  3. Work on post impact, straight arms, arms more in sync with body, supinate, natural finish. No stalling rotation.
  4. Continue working on escape shots, low draws/fades. Maybe take it a step further to longer shots.
  5. More short game practice, one session short game area a month and Mevo to dial in distances.
  6. Use Game Golf.
  7. Get putting looked at, use Blast to check tempo, get fitted for putter. Maybe driver and irons.
  8. Try and take swing videos during rounds (lazy).
  9. Renew indoor practice membership, keep practicing indoors during winter until able to do so outside.
  10. Figure out how to play in wet conditions.
  11. Swing more aggressively when playing, holding back.
  12. Take a look at the new Drive Shack. 😀

In 2019 I have a practice goal and a scoring goal.

Practice Goal: I'm going to work on balance. Literally... balance... when I was putting together my VLOG I noticed that I tend to fall out of my finish because I'm often off balance. 

Scoring goal: Shot at least one round 9 or 18 at even or under par. To date, my best score is 5 over on 18 and 2 over on 9.  

Swing speed - Increase my swing speed by improving my technique.  There is a lot there for the taking.  I would like to get near or north of 100MPH

Distance - Increase distance with my clubs, at least 20 yards for Driver and less as you go down the bag.  See above for how.  Right now my average drive + my average 7 iron = 350-375, I need that to be above 400 to really be able to chase down pars and better.

HCP - Reduce HCP to mid to low teens.  Continuous improvement, along with adding length should make this doable

Continue my training.  Lots of meaningful practice, lessons and task specific drills.

Improve course management - I am OK and generally know what to do, but need to get better.

Shoot in the 80s consistently - See all above.

And finally - Remove the STENCH of the 119 I put up at my course championship.

I’m basically starting over. I’ve finally joined Evolvr which I’m confident will get me where I want to be which is:

1. No more disaster rounds riddled with shanks only to walk off the course in shame.

2. More efficient practice I.e. working on specifically what my Evolvr coach(s) suggests.

3. Play more rounds. At least once a week. And try to enjoy the process. However I will always continue to care about the results. Period.

4. I aim by Spring of 2019 I’m at least performing a functional backswing even if it means 3/4 speed. I have the ugliest backswing of this community.

5. A bit of a bucket list here as well but: 

a. Play Wine Valley golf course again in Washington with my new/improved swing.

b. Visit Golf Evolution in Pennsylvania, meet some of the guys there and maybe an hour lesson with Erik.

Cheers everyone!

I started 2018 with a 16 hcp and it looks like the season will end (expecting snow this week in Chicago) with a 13 hcp.

For 2019, my goal is to reduce the 13 to a 10 hcp. To do this I need to improve my short game and putting (2018 saw the  improvements in driver and hybrids). I also need to get realistic about the tees I'm playing. At 66 with a 75-80 mph swing speed - I need to be playing around 5000 - 5800 yds to have reasonable expectation of being able to reach most holes in regulation - question will be whether my ego can handle this. Guess time will tell!

First off i am going to become a full member of my local club and get an official handicap, i expect it to be around 18.

I hope to play in a few of the club comps.

I would like to reduce the handicap i get by one or two strokes during the year, I think it is possible by improving my driving in particular, it is very unpredictable and with a bit of consistency it should see my score reduce by a good amount.

Id like to break 80 at least once in 2019.