IGNORED

2020 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just when you thought I was out of this. 

I think I'm the last golfer to add their first birdie to the spreadsheet.

I just haven't played the course at all this year. In previous years I played here all the time because you could walk on. So, I'd walk on as soon as my work day was over and play 9 holes. However, this year with the Covid restrictions you literally MUST have a tee-time. So, I've played a lot less when I can't just spontaneously jump out there and play. 

However, on Tuesday, October 6th I got to play 9 and made 2 birdies. I birdied hole 4 (par 5) and hole 6 (par 3). 

On Saturday, October 10th, I birdied hole 5 (par 4). 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was almost 20° temperature difference from start to finish today!  I had 2 birdies (unusual) but both were repeats.   It almost looks like golf is over for me unless we get some sunshine.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Seven more birdies but only added #12 to the list. Need 2, 6, 7, 14, and 15. 

1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Finally birdied the 1st hole. Started off the back, so it wasn't the first hole of the day. Playing into the wind, I hit a good albeit slightly pulled drive into the left rough, then hit a good 7i just to the apex of the dogleg. Had about 110 left to a back left pin and I lined up right at it because I was hitting a cut most of the day. Hit a choked down GW, ended up dead straight at the pin, 8' short. Made the 1% right to left uphill putt.

Had a chance on 4 and 9 to add birdies to my sheet, but couldn't make the putts.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I feel like I've been gone from this thread for months, but I finally got another.  I chipped in on #8, a long downhiller, leaving me only two more holes.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'll try and do this next year, but in 9.5 rounds of golf at my home course since the middle of August I was able to birdie, 1,9,11(2),14,18.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• Administrator

So how's this going for everyone?

I'll probably only get about two or three more rounds in (and a few more, hopefully, on the composite away course stuff).

I still need, on the home course, holes 1 and 2. 1 is a tough par four. 2 is a medium-length par three with a tricky green, but I've lipped out about 12 times there this year.

On the away composite course, I need holes 4 and 13. Maybe I can get those at Bedford Springs or Royal New Kent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In my away courses, I need 2,6 and 8.   My home course, I've only played 5 times with 3 birdies.   The season is almost over here because I'm not as robust as @bkuehn1952.    

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

A year ago I was -8 with 15 rounds at Leslie Park.  Today I am -8 after 13 rounds.  My guess is I will play 1-2 times more so there is a chance of beating last year. As always, a lot depends on the weather.  Also, being a municipal course, the profit motive is a bit lacking so Leslie closes sooner than many courses.

I completed the away Challenge at -18.  No eagles yet so that is likely to be it for the year.

@iacas, thank you for thinking up this Challenge.  It certainly made me aware of my birdies during the year.👍

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Weather permitting I will play my home course for the last time tomorrow.  Still need Par on 3-9-10-11-13-15-17.  I need a helluva round, Among the holes I need are the #1,2,3 &4 handicap holes.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

It took me way longer to birdie #15 at my home course than I imagined and I still only have 1 on that hole. Its a 90 degree dogleg right with no real opportunity to cut any of it off, which leaves 150+yds from the green. It’s also a weird approach, or it just got in my head that I hadn’t birdied it and I kept thinking I had to. Either way, got it and a few eagles.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Weather here in Eastern NC permits year round playing - though the grass will be going brown soon. My skills are such that it was a "par" challenge for and I am missing par on two holes, 10 & 11. 11 is the #1 hole on the course, with a large pond guarding the front of an elevated green.  I do love its challenge.  #10 borders the driving range and I honestly think I have a phobia of hooking it onto the range so I go for the trees on the right.     

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

It took me way longer to birdie #15 at my home course than I imagined and I still only have 1 on that hole. Its a 90 degree dogleg right with no real opportunity to cut any of it off, which leaves 150+yds from the green. It’s also a weird approach, or it just got in my head that I hadn’t birdied it and I kept thinking I had to. Either way, got it and a few eagles.

I’ve got a similar hole at my home course. It’s only 318 yards, but, because it’s almost a 90 degree dogleg to the left, you realistically can’t have less than 120 in unless you hit a gutsy shot over trees, where if you miss and hit the tree there’s a very good chance you’re re-teeing. I couldn’t seem to birdie it until a few months ago. That marked almost two years of playing the course. Over a hundred rounds played since April 2018 (when I first started playing the course), and I’ve birdied it only once. But it feels great to birdie a hole that you’ve been dying to make birdie on for a while.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

My home course was in New Hampshire and I haven’t been there since June. I have got birdies on away courses. I will revise the home course next year.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Not sure how much more golf I'll play this year.  I've already packed it in, and consider this the offseason, so anything else I play this year is going to go in the "Practice Round" category.  That makes this my final update for the year for this challenge.

I finally strung some good shots together and actually got a birdie on one of the 2 remaining holes for my par challenge on my "home" 9 hole course.  Which left only hole number 7 as my arch nemesis this year.  Many missed par putts on that hole, some only a few feet.  Nonetheless, that par managed to elude me all season.  I'll get it next year for sure.

For the composite, I had already finished the par challenge earlier in the summer and added a couple more birdies on 2 and 15.  Looking forward to beating a composite 6 under par next year.

Well, played final round at home course yesterday and checked off #10.  Should have pared #17 but stupid 3 putt, should not have happened!  Overall for the year I golfed 11 rounds at the course, got par on 12 holes, no birdies.  The holes I failed to par are the 1,2,3,4,10 & 14 Handicap holes. The #14 handicap hole was a par-3 and I can't believe I never got par on it.  The #10 handicap was the hole I 3-putted for bogey yesterday.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Made it out this afternoon.  Temperature got to 70 in Chicago, so I made sure to get out again.  Intended to play as a practice round,  but got put in a group who was playing straight up, so I played along.  Ended up grabbing a birdie on 4, bringing my total composite score to -7 for the year.  

• Administrator

WooooOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Finally pulled it off in about the 14th round at Whispering Woods (from the blue or black tees)! I needed 1 and 2, and most of the time, I'd show up and roll onto the first tee without warming up. Even still, I've hit a lot of good shots on those holes, and lipped out a combined 15 times or so for birdie there, so it was hopefully bound to happen soon.

Today the course was WET but I putted before going to the first tee. Tee shots embedded on both holes (one is a par 4, two is a par 3), and I made about a 12 footer on the first and an eight footer on the second. The latter lipped IN from the high side!

So happy to have finished this off. Pursuant to the rules I played the rest of the front nine, but I switched out to some pink cheap ball I found by the third tee as I didn't want to embed and lose some decent balls. It turns out I didn't lose that sucker, and played pretty well considering the slop. Ended up at 34, with another birdie and a bogey out there on the last seven.

So, I'm done with my home course. I still have a few on the away/composite, but only two more rounds actually scheduled, and hopefully the weather holds up for those.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!