IGNORED

Phone Camera Insanity at Tournaments

leftybutnotPM
Note: This thread is 1519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look at the kid on the left. 

How many times in your life are you going to be standing 10 feet away from Mickelson while he's hitting a shot?

What do you do? Watch the screen on your friend's phone as he records the shot.

IMG20200209080011.jpg

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to Phone Camera Insanity at Tournaments
52 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

How many times in your life are you going to be standing 10 feet away from Mickelson while he's hitting a shot?

IMG20200209080011.jpg

I count 7 cell phones in that photo.  They go home, show the photo or video of Phil's ass to a friend or spouse once, then never look at it again.

Other observations:  The kids look up and ask, '''Where's the ball?"  'Cause you don't expect it to go so high and so long.  Those kids missed a learning moment.  And when did Phil take up smoking?

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Other observations:  The kids look up and ask, '''Where's the ball?"  

Pretty weird. Three kids in the photo and none of them looking at him hitting the shot.

Might've been a long day for them, but you see adults doing the same thing all the time.

The thing is, if you really need to have a video of the player in front of you, you can aim the camera at the player and still watch in "real life".

I’m kind of fine with this in one sense because I get to see all sorts of action I never did before social media existed.

@leftybutnotPM is right. You can lower phone to stomach and video and watch live while smartphone is recording. 

Personally it would depend on the situation but generally if I were that close I would have the phone in my pocket. If I knew I could get a view of the ball landing I would definitely put the phone away. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Warning - Boomer rant follows

Drives me crazy at all kinds of events, but mainly with parents recording their kids concerts, sporting events, and graduation where they not only miss out on what is happening but feel entitled to stand up to get a clear view - all the while blocking people sound them. Those using an iPad are the worst.

Players play, tough players win!

19 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Warning - Boomer rant follows

Drives me crazy at all kinds of events, but mainly with parents recording their kids concerts, sporting events, and graduation where they not only miss out on what is happening but feel entitled to stand up to get a clear view - all the while blocking people sound them. Those using an iPad are the worst.

Since you brought up a Boomer rant... I can’t stand it when I’m posing for a group picture or something and a whole bunch of people pull out their phones, “Take one with mine!” Damn Boomers 😜

But yes, having filmed many events in my life, I realized I can’t actually enjoy what I’m watching if I’m focused on framing my shot correctly. Plus, all the people in the OP are a bunch of amateurs. Everyone knows the right way to film a celebrity or athlete doing something right in front of you is to do it in selfie mode with them in the background of your shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Forget the camera phones, just strap a GoPro to your head then you can watch and film (and look like a tosser :-D)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Since you brought up a Boomer rant... I can’t stand it when I’m posing for a group picture or something and a whole bunch of people pull out their phones, “Take one with mine!” Damn Boomers 😜

But yes, having filmed many events in my life, I realized I can’t actually enjoy what I’m watching if I’m focused on framing my shot correctly. Plus, all the people in the OP are a bunch of amateurs. Everyone knows the right way to film a celebrity or athlete doing something right in front of you is to do it in selfie mode with them in the background of your shot.

I'm a Boomer and must say I have never taken a selfie! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 3:43 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

And when did Phil take up smoking?

It's the lanyard holding the course pass on the guy standing behind Phil.  Not a cigarette.  Sure does look like he's got a cig while taking a swing.

Edited by IowaGreg

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

It seems that every time I walk into the locker room at the gym, some kid is standing in front of the mirror taking a selfie. Pathetic... I keep trying to get a bare bootie photo bomb in but have yet to succeed (I think).

- Shane

1. I'm Gen-X and am filled with indifference
2. What's with the Nascar pit crew? Does Phil need new tires?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

22 minutes ago, krupa said:

1. I'm Gen-X and am filled with indifference
2. What's with the Nascar pit crew? Does Phil need new tires?

Lol omg just noticed this. I would make a fat joke but I have a spare tire of my own. Maybe I can hire this guy. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yes, but it had me fooled for a moment.

It’s coming out of his nose, though. Looks more like he stuffed a tissue up one of his nostrils to stop a nosebleed.

1 hour ago, krupa said:

What's with the Nascar pit crew? Does Phil need new tires?

You never know when you might need to replace a soft spike?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

19 minutes ago, billchao said:

It’s coming out of his nose, though. Looks more like he stuffed a tissue up one of his nostrils to stop a nosebleed.

You know Phil... he does things the rest of us mortals can't or won't do.  It's obvious, he was smoking a cigarette with his nose.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:03 PM, leftybutnotPM said:

IMG20200209080011.jpg

People are crazy.  We went to the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, one of the greatest art museums in the world and could barely see paintings by the more well known artists.  Dozens of people were blocking us as they tried to take pictures with their phones.  Now if you take a picture of a painting you have to hold your phone exactly parallel to the picture to avoid distortion.  And that perfect angle is virtually impossible in a jostling crowd.  And for a buck or two they could buy a professionally photographed picture of the painting.  And look at the picture with their actual eyes.  And these weren't kids, they were grown-ups from all over the world.

People seem increasingly focussed on photographing their life rather than just living and experiencing their lives first-hand.

Edited by turtleback

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 1519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!