IGNORED

How Much Difference Does the Ball Make for Average Player?

Marty2019
Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm an average hacker, drive the ball about 200 to 240, shoot in the mid to high 80s, and my question is, at that level, how much difference does it make what kind of ball I am using?  

I get balls at Costco, usually Callaway Toursoft or whatever they have on sale for about $24 for 2 dozen.  It usually comes out to around a dollar a ball.  

Should I be more discriminating about what kind of ball I use, or at my level, does it make very little difference?  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only real difference that I ever notice is how they feel on putts and chips. If you can play a ball around the green and it isnt ripped to shreds then I think it's fine. 

I think that premium balls are more of a luxury item than a necessity. I buy the bulk online premium stuff usually. This year I went Snell (need to update my signature) and it was something like 140 for 60 balls. To me that is worth it to have a top end ball  even if it doesn't make any difference to my game. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I shoot mid 90s, sometimes high 80s but not often. I have used every ball out there and have found little difference at my level. I know a lot of people will tell us that the ball is critical but for me, not so much. I also hit the Costco Callaway and or KIrkland balls, they work fine for me. 

Almost none.

Playing with the same ball, rather than playing several different balls, to maintain consistency in playing characteristics might be incrementally more helpful...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm a mid handicapper. I love the feel of Pro V1, but when the ball lands on the green I typically get 6 feet of back roll. I don't like it. I now use Tour Soft balls and when they land on the green they usually stay no more than 3 feet from the ball mark, either a little in front or a little behind. I prefer this. Cheaper balls like Titleist Velocity hit the green and continue rolling forever.

I personally don’t think it matters much between most balls, except the really cheap ones from Walmart (I forgot the brand). 

I have a decent handicap and have been playing used balls I got from my instructor a few years ago. I played a few rounds with new ProV1 and my distances/scores remained the same. 

Edited by FlyingAce

3 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

So I'm an average hacker, drive the ball about 200 to 240, shoot in the mid to high 80s, and my question is, at that level, how much difference does it make what kind of ball I am using?  

I get balls at Costco, usually Callaway Toursoft or whatever they have on sale for about $24 for 2 dozen.  It usually comes out to around a dollar a ball.  

Should I be more discriminating about what kind of ball I use, or at my level, does it make very little difference?  

None.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Funny this topic shows up. Last week four of us were warming up on the d-range prior to our tee time. We purchsed a small basket, and were conversing with each other, while taking turns hitting balls, using one station..

The idea came up to play the round using range balls. We decided to do it jokingly. We each selected two balls from the basket. Ones that looked newer, with less mileage on them. 

The four us,  with in a few strokes, pretty much shot our normal scores. One was 3 strokes better with an 82 than his normal rounds. I shot an 86, which was a little higher than normal for me. 

So, to answer the OP's question, I'd have to say it depends on the golfer, and the type of game they have. Some golfers can take advantage of different brand ball, while others not so much. 

Being older, we don't hit the ball as far as we use to. Lack of distance means fewer problems on average for the four of us. This, regardless of what ever brand ball we use. 

Me, I am not giving up my normal game ball for range balls.....

Yes, we returned all 8 balls to the d-range......

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to How Much Difference Does the Ball Make for Average Player?
20 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

I'm a mid handicapper. I love the feel of Pro V1, but when the ball lands on the green I typically get 6 feet of back roll.

I don't believe this. As a 15 handicap you are likely hitting 5-7 GIR per round, and "typically" IMO means well over 50% of the time, likely 75%+ of the time, so that means that 4-5 times a round you are hitting shots into the green with a crisp enough contact and enough spin that the ball just zips back 6 feet after it lands? Are all the greens you play sloped severely back to front? I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've witnessed a 15 handicap generate 6 feet of backspin on any shot let alone having that be their "typical" outcome. (I know that I have a limited sample size of experiences)  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

No.

If you're a 15+ handicap, just play with anything you find. You don't compress the ball consistently enough for the ball type to matter. If you improve your game well enough to be consistent low 80s shooter ( i guess thats 7-8 handicap most places) then playing one type of ball might be a benefit. 

I guess I'm in the minority here, but based upon your scores you are likely getting 4-6 GIRs a round, meaning 12-14 pitch / chip shots.  Why wouldn't you look for a ball that helps your short game? If nothing else, the consistency of using one ball on a regular basis should play shots around the green better.  I have also found, for reasons I don't understand, that I struggle to control certain balls off the tee. So yes, I think it matters - how much, maybe very small overall - and I would likely place a premium on playing good one ball consistently rather than playing multiple "best" balls.

4 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I guess I'm in the minority here, but based upon your scores you are likely getting 4-6 GIRs a round, meaning 12-14 pitch / chip shots.  Why wouldn't you look for a ball that helps your short game? If nothing else, the consistency of using one ball on a regular basis should play shots around the green better.  I have also found, for reasons I don't understand, that I struggle to control certain balls off the tee. So yes, I think it matters - how much, maybe very small overall - and I would likely place a premium on playing good one ball consistently rather than playing multiple "best" balls.

I doubt it’s the ball. We don’t have consistent enough strikes to be able to deduce it to the ball.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I don't believe this. As a 15 handicap you are likely hitting 5-7 GIR per round, and "typically" IMO means well over 50% of the time, likely 75%+ of the time, so that means that 4-5 times a round you are hitting shots into the green with a crisp enough contact and enough spin that the ball just zips back 6 feet after it lands? Are all the greens you play sloped severely back to front? I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've witnessed a 15 handicap generate 6 feet of backspin on any shot let alone having that be their "typical" outcome. (I know that I have a limited sample size of experiences)  

Me neither.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I believe the overwhelming sentiment on this thread.  It was my hunch, though not a particularly informed one.

Funny thing is:  There are so many sources telling even noobs to get FITTED for a golf ball. That goes way beyond "Does it even matter?"  To state your sponsor's tagline is one thing.  To use your influence to knowingly misinform me to throw my money away is entirely different.  I can not stand such dishonesty.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always used inexpensive golf balls.  Once in a while the model I'm using is discontinued and I have to pick a new favorite.  I think it is helpful, for me anyways, to use the same ball...especially around the green.  I don't think it matters which ball one chooses though.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I'll go against the grain here and say that the ball does matter to me, as a ~17 handicap. In the last 2 years I've tried about 20 different  balls, from Top Flite XL to Titleist ProV1 (I won a sleeve, I would never pay so much for a ball I am destined to lose 😆).

Off the tee or on approach shots I don't notice any difference.

For short game shots urethane cover balls perform better for me, and with 10-14 nGIR a round, successful short game shots can make a big difference in my scores.

To me, some balls just feel better off the putter face than others, and while this may not result in a physical performance with regards to how it actually rolls, the feel contributes to my  confidence, which does in turn impact physical performance.

Now I won't go so far as to say a specific brand and model of ball is best, but right now I am using Snell MTB and Cut Blue and I like both of them for short game and putting, and they're relatively inexpensive so I don't get sad when one flies into the trees.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

So many people will spend +$400 dollars on getting fit for a driver that they use at most 14 times a round, but for the one piece of equipment that is used on every shot they will use any ball they find that looks like it's in decent shape.  Just saying.

Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!