IGNORED

Hoodies - Pro Golf Attire/Dress Codes?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Where do we stand on this?

Personally, I don't really care all that much so long as the attire looks "decent" - meaning somewhat professional. Which means not wrinkled, not obnoxious or offensive in some way, and not shorts. (I still think PGA Tour players should wear pants - shorts don't look professional to me in the context of golf. Plus pants help ward off skin damage.)

I don't think a hoodie is particularly functional (I guess if it's cold you could keep your ears warm when you weren't swinging), but it's not particularly unprofessional either.

P.S. And I'm just talking about professional events. If you're meeting the course's dress code where you are, you do you. I don't really care what you're wearing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been having a debate about attire with friends of mine.  It's tough because a lot non-golfers see the PGA Tour as the standard for golf attire whereas it should be seen just like any other sport, a jersey.   When someone plays basketball outside, they wear whatever.  When you play in a league, you wear something more official.  I think golf should be the same.  Country Clubs are going to be a bit different, but public courses, I think golfers should be allowed to wear almost anything, so long as they are appropriately covered up. 

I don't know how to make attire on tour seem more jersey like.  But if a clean looking hoodie helps golf evolve a bit more, I'm all for it.  Golf does need to grow and move with the times, and the perceived attire is one part that has to change and appeal to more people.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Personally, I don't really care all that much so long as the attire looks "decent" - meaning somewhat professional. Which means not wrinkled, not obnoxious or offensive in some way, and not shorts. (I still think PGA Tour players should wear pants - shorts don't look professional to me in the context of golf. Plus pants help ward off skin damage.)

I am ok with hoodies strictly because it can be used to ward off skin damage.  And I could also see them looking hip or cool without being obnoxious if executed properly.  Perhaps accompany it with a rule where if you can't see a players face they have to have their name on the back of their outer wear.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

As long as its clean and looks decent, I don't mind much.  To me it looks kind of goofy, I can't imagine having the hood up while swinging, and its just easier to wear a ski cap if your ears are getting a little cold.  Its not like a Tour player can't have whatever cold-weather gear he wants in the bag, so I don't see a reason to have to attach something to the back of your neck in case you need additional coverage.  But if JT gets paid to wear something his sponsor wants him to wear, more power to him.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I don't much care about dress codes (official or unofficial) when people are getting weird about 'image' or 'tradition'.

But I tend to have issues with attire that clearly impacts performance - (i.e., baggy outfits on 'speed' snowboarders is the biggest joke where speed matters but they wear draggy clothes because that's the image - it's senseless, to a lesser extent tennis players wearing jewelry that flops around, rings on hand sports (bowling, golfing, racket/paddle game, etc) - pretty much anything that interferes with the natural motion of whatever sport is being discussed.  IMO - swimming and downhill skiers, bicyclists, etc all seem to 'get it'....as do clowns 😄.  Other sports seems to handcuff themselves for silly reasons.  I find that professional swimwear migrated in a direction I'd have never conceived of....obvious today, but hindsight is what it is...so it's interesting....

That said - golf is mild enough so attire could span a wide range of comfort and performance preferences.  Full swings - Pretty much anything that's comfortable, deals with the current weather, and offers a freely moving swing is good.  Putting and short game....anything that clearly doesn't hang such that it inhibits the view or swing, or can hide an anchor....

I don't have an issue with hoodies, but i think functionally, it could be an unnecessary distraction, and it addresses weather conditions that is likely better served by more closely fitting attire.

If I find something that just looks 'funny', well, that's my issue, regardless of who or how many agree with me or not.  Shorts are one of those items - I can make a good case for shorts over pants, or pants over shorts - but it's subjective enough, that I'd leave it up to the individual.  There are a lot of really great fabrics out there that could swing the discussion either way, at any time....

Edited by rehmwa
  • Upvote 1

Bill - 

I went to a high school basketball game last Friday.   The visiting team wore hoodies during the first shoot around and warm-up.   I don't know if they were making a statement or just a fashion sense but either way, I wasn't bothered by what somebody else was wearing.  

I would like to see professional golf continue to wear pants and a collared shirt.   If the PGA were to change, again, it's not something that would bother me.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I can't imagine having the hood up while swinging

I just tried making a golf swing motion (no club) in my office wearing a hoodie with the hood up and it felt really odd/uncomfortable. I suppose I could get used to it, but a ski hat seems more functional for warmth. Also, when the hood is down, the fabric kind of bunches up around the neck, and seems like it would be slightly distracting. Overall, not a really functional piece of athletic clothing IMO.

As for how they appear, I'm neutral, and it wouldn't bother me if pros wore them. Hoodies definitely skew toward casual. I wear one around the house on cooler days, and I keep one in my office for when the AC gets too vigorous.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I hit balls with a hoodie on a handful of times. The hood whips around after impact and looks goofy on camera.

Unless it’s raining sideways or super windy, it’s just a fashion statement- which I’m ok with.

These guys are trying to become popular and look like cool athletes, but the hood is not actually helpful lol.

Knickers and necktie all the way.  None of these guys even knew what a hoodie was.

hoodies.jpg

2 hours ago, Keep It Simple said:

I am ok with hoodies strictly because it can be used to ward off skin damage.  And I could also see them looking hip or cool without being obnoxious if executed properly.  Perhaps accompany it with a rule where if you can't see a players face they have to have their name on the back of their outer wear.

... and a number, of course.

Fine with this completely. I think the dress code of the PGA is generally ok, but they could adopt a shorts rule like I think eurotour has. Something where if it gets over 85 F then shorts are acceptable. I don't even mind the flood joggers that Rooyen was wearing the other week lol. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

2 hours ago, phillyk said:

I think golfers should be allowed to wear almost anything, so long as they are appropriately covered up. 

I recently visited a golf course website and found a funny misspelling under "Dress Code".  Among other items it listed "No mesh shits".  Gave me a good laugh.  But wondered later if maybe it was intentional.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I recently visited a golf course website and found a funny misspelling under "Dress Code".  Among other items it listed "No mesh shits".  Gave me a good laugh.  But wondered later if maybe it was intentional.

I don't know.  Makes me want to visit that course though 😀

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!