iacas

COVID-19 Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

810 posts / 30700 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You look like you could fly at that speed!

With the wind today I might have!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Erik for the feedback on the Day 1 video.  I am working on Day 2 stuff - have to admit, I was able to enjoy a round at a local course today (we are still allowed to play) that included time with my 4-yr old grandson and enjoying watching him swing the clubs.  

Day 2 routine - after doing a round with the grandson (actually a lot more challenging)....

I did the day 2 drills, no video this time. Liked these drills. Really felt the shoulder turn with these drills, especially the first two. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I couldn't do the third item on this video, but I attempted the first two.  The camera is as far back to the wall as it can be, and it still doesn't get all of me in frame, so even if I got the angle right, I probably wouldn't be able to use this for evolvr video, but it's better than no video.  I'll document the room during this crisis, really.

At the end of the first two, I do a chip with the hands (I hope) as described in yesterday's challenge.

Also, am I supposed to report practice related to this thread in the 30 day thread too?

If video of this quality is acceptable, I'll be able to do video for the whole month's challenge.  And maybe I'll be motivated to clean that room a bit too!  This is my indoor practice room, although I go out back for speed sticks (which I also need to get back to).

Erik, thanks for putting these instructions together!

Just got around to doing these in the dark which made the mirror part easier since I use my patio door as a window.

I liked this practice set even more than day 1. Not sure if I’m describing it correctly, but I have a tendency to cheat my shoulder turn by “finishing” the turn in my mind by moving my arms/hands, which results in a flat shoulders, and OTT swing. My instructor often corrects this at the beginning of each lesson. Doing this simple drill seemed to have a significant effect on this issue, so it’ll go into practice rotation. Only hit a few balls afterward because it was dark, but contact was solid, and I could feel ball strike was away from the heel. 

Okay, I swear I will eventually record myself doing these. I get so excited to give em a try that I don't even bring my phone. Anyhow, these drills are awesome! 

Great drills, easy to self diagnose. No additional equipment required.

Day 3 - Trail Elbow

On this third day, we'll talk about one of the most common problems in amateur golf — the way the trail arm works in the golf swing. Far too many people do one or both of these things:

• Get the trail elbow too far "around" or "behind" them.
  • Over-bend the trail elbow (below about 90°)
  • This causes all sorts of other issues that affect path, low point control, club face control, speed, "lag," and more.

The drills for today include:

• 2:00 - Left Arm and Reach
  • 2:00 - Left Hand Under Right Elbow
  • 2:00 - Two-Step Swing (Fold Elbow, Turn)

Video:

Day 2 complete. Still have to make time to setup my recording stuff.  Really needed it yesterday for this one to make sure my angles weren't getting off.

If I get my camera setup over the weekend, can I run through a time lapse of each day and load the videos for the first few?

Looking forward to Day 3 drills, this has been my priority piece the past 2 months.

@iacas, is there a preferred club selection or range of clubs that are preferable for these drills? I did the takeaway drill with a 9 iron because I don't have any practice balls and wanted to chip one on day 1 without endangering anyone.

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

Day 2 complete.

We're on day three, and you're already a day behind! 🙂

53 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

@iacas, is there a preferred club selection or range of clubs that are preferable for these drills? I did the takeaway drill with a 9 iron because I don't have any practice balls and wanted to chip one on day 1 without endangering anyone.

6-iron, but if you want to chip a ball, then a 9I is fine. Shorter clubs make the drills "easier" but… you can always chip a wiffle ball or ball up a piece of paper or something.

Just now, iacas said:

6-iron, but if you want to chip a ball, then a 9I is fine. Shorter clubs make the drills "easier" but… you can always chip a wiffle ball or ball up a piece of paper or something.

Ok cool. I figured it would be more towards the mid-irons. I did the drills yesterday but didn't film. Today, after work, I'll bust out the 6 iron and film yesterday's along with today's. I've got some practice balls that should be here soon so that should cover that. Today's video will be in the yard so you'll get to see how small of a yard I have to practice in. Really considering ordering a mat and net with how things are looking long term.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Day 3 - Trail Elbow

On this third day, we'll talk about one of the most common problems in amateur golf — the way the trail arm works in the golf swing. Far too many people do one or both of these things:

• Get the trail elbow too far "around" or "behind" them.
  • Over-bend the trail elbow (below about 90°)
  • This causes all sorts of other issues that affect path, low point control, club face control, speed, "lag," and more.

The drills for today include:

• 2:00 - Left Arm and Reach
  • 2:00 - Left Hand Under Right Elbow
  • 2:00 - Two-Step Swing (Fold Elbow, Turn)

Video:

Love Day 3 Drills thanks