IGNORED

What’s Your Favorite Stats to Use?

There’s no shortage of stats to use evaluate one’s game. The traditional stats of FWs, GIRs, and putts is not as popular as it used to be. 

In my own game, I track GIRs, first putt distance, and Scrambling %.

What’s the simplest metrics you track to give you an idea of your game?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I hit a high number of GIR's, I rarely have a bad round, compared to my typical game.

GIR, nGIR and average club hit into the green (Yep, I keep track of that)...

I go by the "Dammit" rule for putting.  You know when you miss a putt you should have made.  And then you utter it.   5 "Dammits" a round puts me in the "Crap" category for putting.  Zero "Dammits" an

Posted Images

GIR and scrambling. Putting to an extent but not putting alone. I know where I should be putting and if I have a lot of chips I should expect putts to be down. If I hit a lot of GIR and have a low putt total i know I made a few.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Strokes gained stats are my go-to.

GAME Golf lets you compare to scratch, 5, 10, 15, 20 handicappers. I know enough to compare to PGA Tour players too. And have other benchmarks for similar ranges of handicaps.

I manually track my cap and stats.

To me...the most important is GIR...which kinda dictates if I have a good rd....though I have had  some rds of 4 or 5 GIR's and shot in the high 70's...I'm a POSER.

I also track 3 jacks, total putts, scrambling (though it ALWAYS suck) and birdies.....I also track the date played, which course, $ green fee and skins won or lost.

The most meaningful stat for me, as far as correlation to good scores, is GIR and near-GIR.

Beyond that, strokes gained. 

Edited by Darkfrog

I use The Grint to keep my stats. There, I keep FIR, GIR, putts and penalties. For penalties, each type gets a point amount. Bunkers get half a point, water hazards a full point, and OB two points. In the 83 I shot last week, my penalties added up to a whopping five points: two OB, two traps, but I generally don’t pay attention to that as much unless the total gets to be three points or more, my usual around one point.

Lost balls is a very important stat.

Quite new to statistics I have an eye on which clubs I tend to use most. 
Keeping an eye on distance and consistency on driver versus 3 wood to get a better idea. Also trying to figure out the exact distance my H22 likes to go. 

I am pretty basic in stat tracking. Fairways, GIR, scrambling, putting and penalties. I know that if I can hit 8 greens, I am breaking 80 and my scrambling will be on point because my misses are generally fringe. Scrambling is my favorite stat to track because it sets my tone for lower numbers. There is something to having confidence in my wedge game that frees me up to make better approach swings. 

• iacas changed the title to What’s Your Favorite Stats to Use?

As an aspiring bogey golfer, I find a quick and easy stat to use is Pars or Better vs Double Bogeys or Worse.  Not sure that quick calculation works anywhere else in the handicap spectrum, but I like it for now to give a general idea of how i played that day.

I've scored well and poorly with FIR.  I've scored well and poorly with putts / green.    I've scored well and poorly with putts / GIR.  I've scored well and poorly with GIR and nGIR but never scored well when both were poor.   Looking back on most of my rounds, I'll have to say that GIR are king and nGIR are queen in my quest for a good score.   

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I've scored well and poorly with FIR.  I've scored well and poorly with putts / green.    I've scored well and poorly with putts / GIR.  I've scored well and poorly with GIR and nGIR but never scored well when both were poor.   Looking back on most of my rounds, I'll have to say that GIR are king and nGIR are queen in my quest for a good score.   

Concur.  When I score well it's GIR or a close proximity to the green.  The places I play do not have rough that is penal, so wayward drives oftentimes still end up with a GIR.

I track the following on each scorecard:

• Fairway (check for hit, arrow to the left or right for a miss)
  • Drive Distance / Distance Left
  • GIR/AGIR
  • First Putt Distance
  • Strokes (Full Shots / Chips / Putts)

On 7/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, iacas said:

Strokes gained stats are my go-to.

GAME Golf lets you compare to scratch, 5, 10, 15, 20 handicappers. I know enough to compare to PGA Tour players too. And have other benchmarks for similar ranges of handicaps.

Yea, me too. It says so much more about your game than the traditional counting stars can.

15 hours ago, knott said:

Lost balls is a very important stat.

You keep track of lost balls? Why? I mean yea, penalties will kill your score, but lost balls are almost completely circumstantial.

Strokes gained is a pretty good stat.

I like GIR and near-GIR too, although if I have good values for those, I probably have good values for Strokes Gained in long game categories, and with high enough, in the short game category.  

I've thought about this a lot since I first posted. I read Mark Brodie's paper and sorted through all sorts of websites to get a good idea of leading indicator stats that would not just track my game, but help me understand if my strategy is working. 

Brodie made two important contributions. First, he said, forget GIR. Yes, it is THE ONE metric worth tracking but ... greens aren't consistent in size and they vary course to course. Second, he said what separates amateurs from professionals (other than distance) is consistency. (Hank Haney said something similar.)

So ... here's what I'm going to start tracking ...

• Median FRL (Fractional Remaining Length) ... the % proximity to the hole from the approach shot.
  • 1st Putt Distance ... I have to record this anyway, but I average 18.1 feet from the hole and my goal is to always be within 30. If I am, I will two putt. 
  • Number of Awful Shots ... Brodie wrote that reducing this has the greatest impact on higher handicap players. Haney said the same ... eliminate 3-putts (which I will from 30 ft),  2 chips, and penalty shots. No need to track all the variations ... just the number is fine. 

So that's the system ... Record the Approach Shot Distance, Third Shot (which should be the first putt) Distance, and the Number of Awful Shots. This will provide a way to objectively measures ball-striking and consistency. 

Thoughts?

(PS - once FRL is < 6% ... Brodie suggested that is when you focus on length off the tee.)

• Informative 1

Right now, the only stat I'm tracking is the number of times I actually touch my clubs each week. I'm trying to get that number up to 2.