IGNORED

What’s Your Favorite Stats to Use?

Vespidae
Note: This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There’s no shortage of stats to use evaluate one’s game. The traditional stats of FWs, GIRs, and putts is not as popular as it used to be. 

In my own game, I track GIRs, first putt distance, and Scrambling %.

What’s the simplest metrics you track to give you an idea of your game?

GIR and scrambling. Putting to an extent but not putting alone. I know where I should be putting and if I have a lot of chips I should expect putts to be down. If I hit a lot of GIR and have a low putt total i know I made a few.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Strokes gained stats are my go-to.

GAME Golf lets you compare to scratch, 5, 10, 15, 20 handicappers. I know enough to compare to PGA Tour players too. And have other benchmarks for similar ranges of handicaps.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I manually track my cap and stats.

To me...the most important is GIR...which kinda dictates if I have a good rd....though I have had  some rds of 4 or 5 GIR's and shot in the high 70's...I'm a POSER.

I also track 3 jacks, total putts, scrambling (though it ALWAYS suck) and birdies.....I also track the date played, which course, $ green fee and skins won or lost.

The most meaningful stat for me, as far as correlation to good scores, is GIR and near-GIR.

Beyond that, strokes gained. 

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I use The Grint to keep my stats. There, I keep FIR, GIR, putts and penalties. For penalties, each type gets a point amount. Bunkers get half a point, water hazards a full point, and OB two points. In the 83 I shot last week, my penalties added up to a whopping five points: two OB, two traps, but I generally don’t pay attention to that as much unless the total gets to be three points or more, my usual around one point.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

If and when I play a round without losing a ball, I usually do pretty well. 

• Funny 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Lost balls is a very important stat.

Quite new to statistics I have an eye on which clubs I tend to use most. 
Keeping an eye on distance and consistency on driver versus 3 wood to get a better idea. Also trying to figure out the exact distance my H22 likes to go. 

I am pretty basic in stat tracking. Fairways, GIR, scrambling, putting and penalties. I know that if I can hit 8 greens, I am breaking 80 and my scrambling will be on point because my misses are generally fringe. Scrambling is my favorite stat to track because it sets my tone for lower numbers. There is something to having confidence in my wedge game that frees me up to make better approach swings. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• iacas changed the title to What’s Your Favorite Stats to Use?

As an aspiring bogey golfer, I find a quick and easy stat to use is Pars or Better vs Double Bogeys or Worse.  Not sure that quick calculation works anywhere else in the handicap spectrum, but I like it for now to give a general idea of how i played that day.

I've scored well and poorly with FIR.  I've scored well and poorly with putts / green.    I've scored well and poorly with putts / GIR.  I've scored well and poorly with GIR and nGIR but never scored well when both were poor.   Looking back on most of my rounds, I'll have to say that GIR are king and nGIR are queen in my quest for a good score.   

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

17 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I've scored well and poorly with FIR.  I've scored well and poorly with putts / green.    I've scored well and poorly with putts / GIR.  I've scored well and poorly with GIR and nGIR but never scored well when both were poor.   Looking back on most of my rounds, I'll have to say that GIR are king and nGIR are queen in my quest for a good score.   

Concur.  When I score well it's GIR or a close proximity to the green.  The places I play do not have rough that is penal, so wayward drives oftentimes still end up with a GIR.

I track the following on each scorecard:

• Fairway (check for hit, arrow to the left or right for a miss)
  • Drive Distance / Distance Left
  • GIR/AGIR
  • First Putt Distance
  • Strokes (Full Shots / Chips / Putts)

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On 7/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, iacas said:

Strokes gained stats are my go-to.

GAME Golf lets you compare to scratch, 5, 10, 15, 20 handicappers. I know enough to compare to PGA Tour players too. And have other benchmarks for similar ranges of handicaps.

Yea, me too. It says so much more about your game than the traditional counting stars can.

15 hours ago, knott said:

Lost balls is a very important stat.

You keep track of lost balls? Why? I mean yea, penalties will kill your score, but lost balls are almost completely circumstantial.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Strokes gained is a pretty good stat.

I like GIR and near-GIR too, although if I have good values for those, I probably have good values for Strokes Gained in long game categories, and with high enough, in the short game category.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I've thought about this a lot since I first posted. I read Mark Brodie's paper and sorted through all sorts of websites to get a good idea of leading indicator stats that would not just track my game, but help me understand if my strategy is working. 

Brodie made two important contributions. First, he said, forget GIR. Yes, it is THE ONE metric worth tracking but ... greens aren't consistent in size and they vary course to course. Second, he said what separates amateurs from professionals (other than distance) is consistency. (Hank Haney said something similar.)

So ... here's what I'm going to start tracking ...

• Median FRL (Fractional Remaining Length) ... the % proximity to the hole from the approach shot.
  • 1st Putt Distance ... I have to record this anyway, but I average 18.1 feet from the hole and my goal is to always be within 30. If I am, I will two putt. 
  • Number of Awful Shots ... Brodie wrote that reducing this has the greatest impact on higher handicap players. Haney said the same ... eliminate 3-putts (which I will from 30 ft),  2 chips, and penalty shots. No need to track all the variations ... just the number is fine. 

So that's the system ... Record the Approach Shot Distance, Third Shot (which should be the first putt) Distance, and the Number of Awful Shots. This will provide a way to objectively measures ball-striking and consistency. 

Thoughts?

(PS - once FRL is < 6% ... Brodie suggested that is when you focus on length off the tee.)

• Informative 1

Right now, the only stat I'm tracking is the number of times I actually touch my clubs each week. I'm trying to get that number up to 2.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!