IGNORED

Is There a Reason for the 100-Foot High Approach Shot?

golfthyme
Note: This thread is 1361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Or does it just look cool?

im old school, keep the ball as close to ground as possible and rolling on the green as soon as possible. That’s more accurate and better control than a 100 yard approach shot flying 100 feet high, if there’s water or a bunker in front of the green that’s different, I dont even own a hybrid or a lofted wedge! Old school!

27 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

im old school, keep the ball as close to ground as possible and rolling on the green as soon as possible. That’s more accurate and better control than a 100 yard approach shot flying 100 feet high, if there’s water or a bunker in front of the green that’s different, I dont even own a hybrid or a lofted wedge! Old school!

Just be aware that repeated "Old School" references are a veiled technique to achieve carte blanche in opinions that are denigrating and run counter to modern thinking.  It's a way of making a statement and then washing your hands of the responsibility of it by claiming "Old School".  Trying to be diplomatic here in reference your other stances, on items other than golf.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

A valid question which I posed to myself yesterday while playing.  I was 85 yard out from the green w/o any trouble either side of the green.   I paused for several seconds thinking about my club choice.   Should I hit a bump and run or a 3/4 sand wedge?   Since there was no real danger except length, I chose to bump and run a pitching wedge which worked well.     I believe it was the safer shot in this instance.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The high approaches is more about being able to use a full or near full swing for me. Find it harder distance control on half swing but I am still experimenting. I am actually currently trying to convert to a chip and runner. I even removed my lob wedge from my bag. Dispersion wise left to right is probably a bit better and distance a bit worse. I must say its a booring defensive shot but safer for sure. That said to simple shots I sometimes miss due to underestimating them. Its ridiculous how you can miss the simplest pitches sometimes. A full shot with my 50/56 wedges do require my full attention. 

It depends upon the course. Sometimes I might want to hit a 100' high approach shot that sticks on the green. Sometimes, if the fairway is trimmed tight and conditions are dry I might even want to putt it from 100 feet out.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Anything outside of 75 yards, I want to bring it in high because I typically will hit a full shot.  Now, inside of 75, getting a bit too close for my LW so I tend to hit knock down type shots which will come in lower.  If I can't reach a green, I prefer to be 75 yards or more out so I can hit a full shot.  I hate 30 or 40 yard shots, especially over bunkers.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

5 hours ago, RickK said:

If I can't reach a green, I prefer to be 75 yards or more out so I can hit a full shot.  I hate 30 or 40 yard shots, especially over bunkers.  

May I make a suggestion?  Learn how to hit those.  Figure out for your wedges what your half swing gets distance wise;  there's a good chance that after a little bit of practice, you'll get the ball closer from 30-40 yards than you do from 75 yards. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

19 hours ago, golfthyme said:

Are you using a brassie and pitch with a niblick with hickory shafts? Or are you talking first gen metal woods, 50* degree pitching wedge, maybe a 55* sand wedge and a bullseye putter with a wound ball old school? How do you feel about graphite shafts? I think of old school today as traditional lofts on normal sized irons along with a quality spin ball. I carry a hybrid, but its an Adams Pro Gold. 

The high lofted shot suits me when carrying a bunker with the pin tucked. I also will use it on a tiered green if the tier you are trying to get to is tight and you want to avoid hitting a severe slope and killing the shot.  With that said, I prefer flighting the ball with my wedges especially into the wind. I don't try to hit it as low as possible from 100 yards, but tend to hit a controlled and predictable trajectory with a nice amount of spin. Many times, I am in what many consider to be "x" wedge range, I hit a lower lofted wedge for control.  To become a better player you need to be able to hit a variety of shots and then know when to play them. I try to play using the don't hit it higher than you need to philosophy.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

The way courses are built today it is imperative to hit the  ball in the air. I have been playing since 1962 and back then it was easy to keep the ball on the ground, but not today with all the sand traps and water hazards in front of the green and behind it. 

2 minutes ago, shanksalot said:

The way courses are built today it is imperative to hit the  ball in the air.

Ditto that. also wanted to mention green design in modern courses.
I played a new course this past week which left me very lengthy putts when my approach shots
landed in the wrong zones of the greens.

It wasn't due to poor shot selection, but lack of knowledge of the greens.
One was a really good shot into the middle of the green and just rolled off the hump in the other direction.

Being my first time playing this course, I could not tell from the fairway these greens had these massive undulations.
It made for some challenging putts which was fun. LOL

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

Yeah. Pretty crazy. I like to keep mine at about 95’ high. Anything over that is just for vanity. 

... or gets lost in low hanging clouds.  "Yes, I uploaded my golf ball to the cloud."

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Yeah. Pretty crazy. I like to keep mine at about 95’ high. Anything over that is just for vanity. 

Yeah, I keep mine 93-96. 100 is just for posers.

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... or gets lost in low hanging clouds.  "Yes, I uploaded my golf ball to the cloud."

I’m about 10 miles from Logan International. They asked me to keep it down for safety.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My peak height is around 110’ what the hell is wrong with that?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

We track that instead of closest to the pin.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Yeah, I keep mine 93-96. 100 is just for posers.

I’m about 10 miles from Logan International. They asked me to keep it down for safety.

Ha! Good one, @boogielicious. Mine hang in the air so long I had to register my ball on the FAA drone website!  😄

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!