IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I updated my counts. Only 1 hole I can recall that I haven’t birdied and it’s not that hard of a par 3. I just can’t seem to do it I guess. My HIO and few other par 4 eagles lowered that overall score. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I played early this morning. 6:15 tee-time. Me and one other guy. We got done well before 9AM. Made a birdie on number 3. Amazingly I chipped in again. Two chip ins for birdie within 24 hours. Had two other really good chances for birdie. Missed pretty easy putts on 11 and 14. Number 14 I three putted for bogey, I was less than 6 feet away. I hit it way too hard and had a 6 footer coming back up the hill. I had 3 other GIR's, but none of them were within makeable range. Those were all around 18 to 25 footers. 

I birdied number 17 at league last night... Wait for it... Amazingly it was another chip in birdie. My last 3 birdies have all come by way of the chip in. 17 is short a par 3, which I flew right over the flag. Left it just 3 feet or so off the back, thick rough with about 3 paces of green to work with. Hit a half-flop-half-chip-60-degree to just on the collar. It rolled straight into the cup like their was a magnet in it. 

My handicap has been steadily rising all year. (A lot of that is because I've gone from a one way miss to a two-way miss off the tee.) But I'm excited that I've birdied 12 of the 18 holes. Two of the remaining holes I've had a bunch of chances at this year. The other four... well, we'll see. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

16 hours ago, Roblar said:

Played Lake Chabot today (visiting in-laws).  83. Two birdies to add to the Away Course Composite: 16 and 18.  18 is a par-6. 😄 Lots of fun!  ...hope I can make time for one more round before I leave - maybe at Tilden?...

Congrats on the birdies, including #18. Did you know that one guy recently scored a 2 on that par 6, yes 4 under par, called a condor? The ball went all the way down to the bottom of the hill with some lucky bounces and back up the other hill into the hole for his second, with witnesses too!

• Like 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Another 3 birdies round (to go with 6 bogeys and 12 pars), but they were all duplicates.  Darn!

Philippe

10 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Congrats on the birdies, including #18. Did you know that one guy recently scored a 2 on that par 6, yes 4 under par, called a condor? The ball went all the way down to the bottom of the hill with some lucky bounces and back up the other hill into the hole for his second, with witnesses too!

The guy I was paired with told me about the ever elusive CONDOR when we teed off on 18.  Impressive.  When we played, it was fairly damp, but with a bit drier fairway, and with someone who could hit a drive more than 250, I could easily see how it would only take one cart-path hop to end up all the way at the bottom of that ski-slope hill!  (I've never even been close to turning the corner down the hill there.)  I managed to hit my second out to a flatter part of the hill on the right, about 155 yards out, still a bit above the hole, knocked a 7-iron to 10 feet (very lucky!), and two-putted (😞 really wanted the eagle putt to drop!!).  Still a great way to end the round though!

• Like 1

Obviously I didn't get 12 pars, with 6 bogeys and 3 birdies. Just 9, of course... Duh!

• Funny 1

Philippe

I birdied 4 today in my first 18. Pretty sloppy wedge shot and made about a 40-45 foot putt from the front of the green. Now I just have the first 3 holes and the 15th left. Maybe I’ll get it done the next 3 days I’ve got 3 chances at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

With my busy season going an extra month and my various other issues, It's been a real slow start to the year. But I got a couple of birdies over two 9-hole sessions this week to get me to three holes. Stuff is starting to look up.

Gonna have to start playing more 18-hole rounds if I'm going to make a dent on the back nine.

• Administrator

I only have four holes on the back nine to get, and I didn't get any of them today. I had looks at 11 and 18, though. Not so much at 10 and 14.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am updating the spreadsheet for yesterday's round.  I now have only one hole, hole #9, on my away list composite left without a par or better.  Not many birdies;  even when my game is on (it wasn't yesterday) and I hit a good number (esp. for my handicap) GIR, I don't make many birdies.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Very inconsistent round today but I did manage two birdies, one on hole #4 and one on hole #6. I already had a birdie on hole #4 but didn't on #6.

IMG_20210705_202251337.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

9 hole league round this evening and I should have had several birdies. Lipped out at 1,5,7,and 9. Stuck a 9 iron to a foot at 3 and made that one. 

After the 9 holes 10 and 11 are in line with the return to clubhouse and we played them. Made birdie at 10. So I get to add 3 and 10 today. Shot 1 over for my league round. Could have very easily been under par.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Birdied the 1st hole at Watchung Valley Golf Club yesterday, so a new one for the away composite.

It's occurred to me that I've played my "home" course twice all year so far. I'm probably just going to add any birdies I might make on that course to the away composite at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I have not been playing as often as years past and only twice at my "home" course.  I have rededicated myself to tracking stats again.  My game is slowly coming back.  My goal is to beat @sjduffers to 18 away hole birdies or better.  He has the lead but I am playing easier courses.  😉

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Huh, so I'm not the only one neglecting his home course this year.  Although my home course is now tougher to get a tee time at (moved from 6-minute increments to 10 due to Covid, and is probably sticking with it because pace of play and rounds played have increased -- I'd rather have a good round when I can get a tee time than easy tee times but slogging rounds, but that's another topic) and I moved away almost two years ago (so now it's a 45 minute drive in favorable conditions instead of the 30 or so it used to be).

And despite over a dozen total rounds (away + home) this year, I have yet to make par-or-better on a hole nine.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I have not been playing as often as years past and only twice at my "home" course.  I have rededicated myself to tracking stats again.  My game is slowly coming back.  My goal is to beat @sjduffers to 18 away hole birdies or better.  He has the lead but I am playing easier courses.  😉

Not sure about easier: the one away course I play the most has a 110 slope. 🙂. There are still some difficult holes though, long into the prevailing wind. Also, I use to play about equally on the home and away courses, but this has now shifted a bit, with more rounds at the home course.

That said, it's good to know you are on the mend and getting back to more and better playing.  Go get'm Tiger!

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

And despite over a dozen total rounds (away + home) this year, I have yet to make par-or-better on a hole nine.  

Just the one hole, number 9, or the whole 9 (front or back)? One is easier than the other... 😉

Philippe

3 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Just the one hole, number 9, or the whole 9 (front or back)? One is easier than the other... 😉

Great question.  Hole number nine, whether home or away, I have not made a par or better.  Except at an executive course (it was a par-3, 6-iron and two putts), but that doesn't count for this challenge 🙂  

I have only once had par-or-better for nine holes, and that was a 35 for the second nine at Harding about five years ago.  Would have been even nicer if my first nine hadn't been a 46. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Picked up a birdie on my away course composite fourth hole with on a 145 par 3. Hit a 7 iron to one foot!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!