IGNORED

2023 British Open

Beastie

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

His round on Friday gained an astounding amount against the field.

It was the best round of the tournament. 8.45 SG, a full stroke better than Rahm's third round 63 at 7.43.

4 hours ago, PatrickMurtha said:

Where’s the angle? He doesn’t even offer the Keegan Bradley anxiety angle, or the Kevin Kisner / Joel Dahmen / Max Homa entertaining talker angle. You sensed the reporters straining to come up with SOMETHING over the past few days.

That's the problem, right? Journalists are always looking for some kind of angle to work in emotional attachment. Somehow, a guy dominating the entire tournament isn't enough of a story.

4 hours ago, PatrickMurtha said:

I did read several stories about how he would probably fold on Sunday, i.e., the problem would go away. Well it didn’t, and I’m delighted. 

If he was going to fold, it would have been on Saturday when he started the first four holes +2. But hey, there's your media angle: scrappy underdog who nobody wanted to win ;-)

3 hours ago, PatrickMurtha said:

No one is arguing against personalities or drama, that I am aware of. No, it wasn’t a close tournament - some won’t be. But here we have a player who played incredibly well for four days, barely wavering an inch, and I don’t like it that the media were pretty pissy and ungracious about it. Plus he actually has a charming personality - watch the winner’s presser! - and he is not an unknown quantity, this is not totally out of the blue. #26 in the world coming in; T12 last week. T6 in the Open last year; also has a T2 in a US Open and three Top 10s at the Players. Had eight Top 10s in 2022 and three earlier this year. This is not exactly Joe Schmo we are talking about here. And anyone who is into great performances - on a tough course, in the rain no less, when the bunkers were eating some of the world’s best alive - should have found something to savor. 

I joked that the tournament was boring - not because the golf itself was boring, but because the outcome was pretty much determined by the middle of round 3. Harman was unflappable, stuck to his game, and executed. It was very reminiscent of Oosthuizen's win in 2010.

The narrative of this tournament changes completely if Rory, Rahm, or Koepka win the tournament in this fashion instead of some journeyman with two career top 10 finishes in majors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well Harman’s win certainly solidifies the dire need for rolling the ball back. 😏

• Funny 3

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Congratulations to Harman and like him a lot more after watching his post win presser for sure. But that waggle though... Not as bad as Keegan's pre address dance but a bit hard to watch.

• Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

9 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Congratulations to Harman and like him a lot more after watching his post win presser for sure. But that waggle though... Not as bad as Keegan's pre address dance but a bit hard to watch.

I am now a big fan of Harmon. I don't have a problem watching Keegan, but it was very irritating to watch poor Brian at the end of the Open. 13 waggles per shot 😵‍💫

12 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

I am now a big fan of Harmon. I don't have a problem watching Keegan, but it was very irritating to watch poor Brian at the end of the Open. 13 waggles per shot 😵‍💫

13?? Wow, I'm glad I wasn't watching that one. Having said that I don't blame him honestly. Never pull the trigger till you're fully settled. But still. Bit rough on everyone else's nerves... lol.

Vishal S.

9 hours ago, GolfLug said:

32 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

A buddy of mine dubbed him Lord Waggleton.

IMG_0920.gif

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, GolfLug said:

They list him at 5'7"... I have to say he doesn't look that tall to me. 

I've never worked as one of those guys who guesses your height and weight at the county fair. But, if I had to guess I'd bet he's closer to 5'5" ... 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I've never worked as one of those guys who guesses your height and weight at the county fair. But, if I had to guess I'd bet he's closer to 5'5" ... 

Welp we've met a couple of times, so if you want a random sizing guide, I'm 5'7" with shoes on plus a few pounds..:-)

Vishal S.

26 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Welp we've met a couple of times, so if you want a random sizing guide, I'm 5'7" with shoes on plus a few pounds..:-)

I think you are taller than Brian. 
And I don't think it's close. 

I think Brian's 5'7" is very generous. 

Having said that. ... It ain't always the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. 👍😁👍

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

53 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Having said that. ... It ain't always the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. 👍😁👍

Yes, very generous.  The PGA Tour stats around height/weight are always fictional. Adds inches, drops pounds.

This past week I noted that he slimmed up, too.  Very trim - which in his case, makes him even smaller.  But what an awesome performance.  The only player to just consistently hit good golf shots, tee to green, minimal mistakes.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It ain't always the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. 👍😁👍

Well said! Hits home closer than you would think..👍

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

But you have an aura around you that makes it seem you are 6’7”! Either that or I need a new prescription. 😜

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, GolfLug said:

But still. Bit rough on everyone else's nerves... lol.

Ever notice Jordan Speith's over-active thumb as he is getting ready to hit the ball?

Cantlay for reference:

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:17 AM, Vinsk said:

Well Harman’s win certainly solidifies the dire need for rolling the ball back. 😏

I know you were kidding, but it's still worth mentioning that outliers rarely serve as a solid basis for drawing conclusions.

7 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

FWIW, Ian Woosnam was 5'4" and not only won a Masters, but was #1 in the Official World Golf Rankings for almost a year in the early 90s.  He routinely finished in the top ten in the Order of Merit, leading it twice.  Largely forgotten now despite a sparkling career, largely because back then few golfers made the move from the European Tour to the US.

• Informative 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

6 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I was marshalling at a tournament in 2018 and I specifically remember standing next to Harman and being surprised at his size. I am 5'8" and I was slightly taller. 5'7" is probably accurate. McIlroy was slightly taller, probably no more than 5'9". 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M