IGNORED

Worst Shot You've Ever Witnessed (not by you, unless yours is the worst. )

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sadly the worst shot I have ever witnessed was my own. I was 16 I think and was playing my second round of golf. I hit the ball behind a tree, well me thinking hey I can hi it under the tree lines up and takes a full swing. Well I hit it pretty well but i hit an over hanging branch, ball comes straight back at me and wap! Hits me right in my forehead, needless to say I had a nice shiner the next day! The second worse was last year, we were on the 9th green, the 18th green is right next to it. A guy looked like he was hitting from about 40 yards from the 18th green. He hits completely over the green, bounces off the cart path about 20 yards past the green and the ball bounces and smacks a second floor window on the club house.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was teeing up on a longish par 4, trying to swing out of my shoes, but hit the ball way off the toe end of the club, and as a worm burner as well. The ball struck the right tee marker in front of the tees I was hitting from and launched in the air... backwards and sailed over my head.  I am now hitting my 2nd shot, 30+ yards behind my own tee box...

:doh:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Its my first summer golfing and I'm out with my brother in law, who, (for the sake of perspectvie) is directly related to a member of the golf hall of fame. So he's got some years over me and i'm out enjoying the round, learning some pointers. For whatever reason, he decided to wear sandals to the golf course that day, that and combined with a few beers throughout the course of the round, he tees up a shot on the back 9, takes a hard swipe at it, and totally misses everything. I don't know what happened, it looked like he spun right out of his sandals. The only part of the club that made contact with the ball was a part that certainly was not intended to make contact as the ball darn near came straight back at him (slight exaggeration) and came to rest maybe 10 yards from its starting point. I stopped worrying about being a newbie at that point. ....

wait, that's not the worst... just came to me.

Same summer. I'm playing at a small, 9 hole, semi-private course with a nice wanna-be-country-club pool and grill... great for bringing the family along, which is exactly what I did. The 4th hole plays alongside the pool which sits up on a hill and is guarded by a rather high fence... right about where most approach shots are hit. As I'm nearing my approach shot, I call my wife and tell her to grab the kids so they can watch daddy hit the golf ball... I'm beaming with confidence as I set up to the ball, take aim, and proceed to shank the crap out of this ball, with just enough trajectory to clear the fence, up over and into the pool on a rather busy day there. It was a horrific experience. The good news is that no one got hurt, the bad news is my wife and kids really let me hear it after my round...

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

All the worst shots I can think of are my own. I'm that kind of self-absorbed.

The one that sticks with me was from my first year. On the 17th tee at Pipestone GC (Miamisburg, OH), I knocked the tee out from under my ball with the 1W. The thing went a mile in the air and about 50 feet to the right. It missed a van driving down the road by about 5 feet. The ball bounced nearly straight up in the air and hit the road three times before settling in the ditch on the far side of the road.

There was most definitely a stain in my shorts after that one.

worst shot I ever saw was a complete whiff on a tee shot ... BY ME.

Tough to convince anyone it was a practice swing ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Probably the idiot stood next to me at the range yesterday afternoon. One of those annoying grunters!

Somwhow he managed to sky his Hybrid into the roof and just missed my head. I almost crapped myself.

"Dont know how that happend", maybe because youre a moron mate!!. He had a good point though, how the hell do you hit hybrid vertically???

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

A buddy had the onset of shanks during a round which seemed to worsen as the round continued.  Near #17 green, the rest of us watched as he shanked the ball completely around the green.  When he got near the cart path, rather than attempting a 4th chip shot of similar result, he picked up and walked to 18 tee and sat on the bench while we finished out.

More than one shot, but wow.  I've shanked more than a few in my day but completely around a green?  I'd pull the putter before that!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I still I own this one. My swing was all sorts out of whack early on this day. I was on a par 3 and I took a mighty rip at the ball. I hit the top of the ball with the bottom of the hossel, almost whiffed. The ball hit the ground and bounced up and hit me. So not only did I hit one of the worst shots ever I had to take a penalty for touching the ball.

Yea, I can't think of anything that beats that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Worst and dangerous....

A guy playing in front of us shanks a tee shot, hits a tree then ricochets back hitting the scorecard holder on his partner’s golf cart smashing it to pieces. His buddy that was sitting the cart takes two injuries as a result – the ball hits him in the neck and a piece of shrapnel from the score card holder lodges itself into his leg just above the knee. The guy started bleeding and had a welt mark on his neck right under the ear.

They let us play through.

Ferg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post

The guy started bleeding and had a welt mark on his neck right under the ear.

They let us play through.

Ferg

Nice to know there still some thoughtful golfers still around :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

A few years ago, down in Arizona, I was playing with a buddy who was just taking up golf. This was maybe his 3rd or 4th round now with his own clubs and he was struggling to figure out how not to hit a wicked slice. Anyways, were on like the 15th hole which is a dogleg left par 4 that plays right into his slice, he's left-handed, so he is all excited and you can just tell he is gonna swing as hard as he can. This course was in a retirement community down there so there is a road about 15 yards behind the tee box. About 20 yards in front of the tee box and off to the left there is a desert area with a couple cacti and a fairly large rock. My buddy takes a huge swing and tops his drive right off of this rock face and it bounces straight back at us but about 20 feet over our heads and ends up maybe 50 yards back across the street. He successfully hit about a -75 yard tee shot and could have killed us if it had bounced lower off of the rock. The four of us who were playing that day all hit the deck on the tee box from laughing so hard. It was easily the worst shot I have ever seen but also the most entertaining.

This one.  The guy hit the ground about 12" behind the ball and never touched it.  Because I am a jerk, I took a picture.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

This one.  The guy hit the ground about 12" behind the ball and never touched it.  Because I am a jerk, I took a picture.

See if I ever play golf with you again..............

:-P

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

See if I ever play golf with you again..............

Lol, good one.   Sorry about that... ;-)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I don't know what it is currently, but it's a safe bet that it will be replaced in that slot in my memory bank in September by something off the clubface of one of those East Coast clowns like @cipher , @jamo , or @saevel25 .

Off @Golfingdad he hole! Wait that would be an amazing shot! :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I can't say that this is the worst shot I've ever seen but it was noteworthy. It was the day after the big derecho wind storm in 2012. My buddy and I got to the tee on the 4th hole of our 2nd nine (this course has 4 nines). A large tree on the left hand side of the fairway - about 50 yards out or so - had been knocked over by the wind leaving (for the time being) a stump about 10-15 feet high. My buddy, who has a fairly pronounced slice, was overjoyed since that tree was no longer an impediment to him hitting his slice. So he teed it up and took a mighty swing - only to hit the remaining part of the trunk square and have the ball bounce back up about a foot or two from his feet. Neither one of us could talk for a few minutes - first from being dumbfounded and then from laughing so hard. Needless to say when we next played that course he was much happier that they had trimmed the trunk down to ground level!

My buddy somehow managed to drive one almost 90 degrees right off the first tee into a parking lot.  The ball ping ponged off a number of cars and somehow made it through the parking lot into some rough that was in play.  His ball had two different color car paints on it.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 3267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!