IGNORED

Is Jordan Spieth the long awaited next Tiger?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Jordan Spieth the long awaited next Tiger?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It's too early to tell, he has the potential, so does Rory but neither has shown they have the mental strength to dominate over multiple years like Tiger did.  One or both will need to dominate for at least 3-4 years before we can even begin the conversation.

Please tell this to The Golf Channel

The Golf Channel is about entertainment, and not much else. Good, bad , or indifferent, when/if you watch it, you are being entertained.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Arnie isn't Hogan

Jack isn't Arnie

Tom isn't Jack

Nick & Greg isn't Tom

Tiger isn't Nick & Greg

and Jordan isn't Tiger

Each is their own person and their own player - Jordan will never be the Cabalasion, may never grwow the interest in the game in the communities that Tiger did.

Jordan may win more, he may drive up purses, he may reignite interest to new levels.

All I know is that every generation has dominant players and it is clear that Jordan is one of those, hopefully for the next 10+ years.

Players play, tough players win!

To even start a thead like this is beyond ridiculous. He won 2 majors and 5 total tournaments, and now he is TW. Cmon , please.

Agree. Plus, I thought Rory was the next Tiger. Maybe Spieth is the next McIlroy?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

"long waited" isn't really accurate is it? how long has Tigs been a non-factor really? Didn't he has a two-win season no that long ago? It's not like he's been the crappy golfer he currently is that long, has it? One full season?

I said I don't know, and nobody does know.  Someone make a note to ask this question in about 2025, by then we'll have a clue.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Agree. Plus, I thought Rory was the next Tiger. Maybe Spieth is the next McIlroy?

Maybe McIlroys the next Tiger and Spieths the next Jack. Maybe Ollie is the next Palmer. Maybe Thomas is the next.....ugh I got a headache. I hate this talk as does he. Let's just enjoy the ride and root for the kid because the game needs him to excel with Tiger basically finished. We want the game to be at its best, and right now the best thing for golf is Spieth and McIlroy dueling it out and trading majors.

• Upvote 1

Way too early to make that kind of prediction.  I would hope that we could have a couple of guys who rise to the top so there is an ongoing rivalry to help make golf more interesting to the masses.  The game sure needs it.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

"long waited" isn't really accurate is it? how long has Tigs been a non-factor really? Didn't he has a two-win season no that long ago? It's not like he's been the crappy golfer he currently is that long, has it? One full season?

You are correct. 6 win season 2009 then knee trouble and reconstructive surgeries. 3 years rebuilding body and swing. 8 wins 2012-1013 then back surgeries. Still on schedule. What's your point? Not a Tiger fan...I'm a lefty a root for Phil :-D

Tiger was a transformational player.

Spieth will be different ... what he will be is hard to say at the moment.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

would be very disappointed if Spieth turned out to be TW, especially how he treated people, the press, the fans, his wife, and Perkin wait staff.......I never did like seeing any sports champion compared to another - even when TW was compared to Jack......different eras, different courses, different equipment, different competition.....

Do you also have issues with Ben Hogan who was also known for not being very friendly to the media, his peers or fans?

I don't want the next Tiger, I want the next guy that has a legitimate shot at challenging Tiger and Jacks record.  Overall Tiger has been very good for golf, I'd likely have not followed golf if not for Tiger, but I want someone new who will take golf to the next level.

Joe Paradiso

I also think Tiger had easier competition than Jordan does. It's not to say Tiger beat a bunch of pansies, but the game is a bit deeper now and the top 50 in the world now is a lot better than it was in 2000, in my honest opinion, just like the top 50 in 2000 was better than it was in Jack's prime. The younger generation is stronger. I just think Jordan's going to have a tougher time winning majors because Rory is out there and Dustin Johnson and Jason Day and some of these other great, young rising stars that are going to continue to elevate the game. But if Rory and Jordan were at the top of their games coming out in 1999, my honest opinion is Tiger wouldn't have 14 majors right now. Those two guys would have picked a few off from him between '99-'08. It's just a lot harder and less room for domination now than in 2000.

But the competition now is tougher precisely because of Tiger Woods. He took the game to a new level of talent and fitness. Today's player has benefited from having to compete at a much higher level. That said, if Tiger were now 21, he would still dominate the game but as you say, not quite to the level he did from 1997-2008.

Hell no!! Spieth is fine exactly who he is. I love commenting on threads with silly premises. Has any other great player been hailed as any other great player before them?

Vishal S.

@David in FL , I hope you get gonorrhea on your duodenum... ;-)

The only reason I even made that post was to get a rise out of you... ...extremely disappointed that it took this long! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

But the competition now is tougher precisely because of Tiger Woods. He took the game to a new level of talent and fitness. Today's player has benefited from having to compete at a much higher level. That said, if Tiger were now 21, he would still dominate the game but as you say, not quite to the level he did from 1997-2008.

Forget being 21. At some point(even though many may disagree)TW is going to click and he win just as many if not more the next 5 yrs then anyone. Tiger said he is close and not done. And I have no reason not to believe him. Why would he constantly bust his butt if he knew in his heart we was done.

Forget being 21. At some point(even though many may disagree)TW is going to click and he win just as many if not more the next 5 yrs then anyone. Tiger said he is close and not done. And I have no reason not to believe him. Why would he constantly bust his butt if he knew in his heart we was done .

I often ask myself the same thing about my own game...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!