IGNORED

What do you wear to the range?

Hardspoon
Note: This thread is 2957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since most courses around here don't enforce the dress code on the driving range I too often look homeless while just practicing.  Bothers the Mrs. but doesn't seem to bother anyone else I see.

Butch

It depends upon where I am and when I'm there. Like another poster said, it can be sloppy up here early in the year, so there's no sense in dressing nice. I'm not a pro, so no clothing company is giving me free stuff! And If I'm just going out to practice, I'll dress any way I please. There's a range nearby where you can back up your vehicle to the tee with cooler of beer in it, and the owner doesn't care! Well, as long as you give him one! If I'm at a fancy, shmancy  course with a range and am warming up, I'll dress accordingly. When practicing dress as you like. When playing dress like you should.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've worn everything from jeans and a grateful dead t-shirt to full golf attire to full business suit with the jacket taken off. Who cares, it's the range. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Clothes, :-D

shorts and collared shirt during spring/summer/fall

pants and collared shirt and probably a jacket during winter months

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

8 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I've worn everything from jeans and a grateful dead t-shirt to full golf attire to full business suit with the jacket taken off. Who cares, it's the range. 

I hope you didn't soil that t-shirt! :-)

Depends on where I am traveling from and the time of year. After work, I will wear my work clothes, polo and khakis or change to shorts if it is hot. From home, I will wear more athletic clothes if I am not going to play. In the summer, I will sweat so I change into clothes appropriate for that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

More often than not I'll wear a golf attire unless it was a spur of the moment decision.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Stand alone range - really casual, sweat pants or shorts with sweat shirt or tee shirt.  

Golf Course range - standard weather appropriate golf attire.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, ppine said:

why would you care what other people you will never meet do at a driving range?

Ever since I was 8 years old, I've had a strange obsession with what strangers are wearing. Sometimes, I sit on a street corner and photograph people as they walk by, and then go home and assemble spreadsheets cataloging their outfits. I use this for sophisticated statistical analysis, comparing hair color with factors such as tie width and lapel width. Since I now live in a more residential area, I'm forced to rely more on online research, so I have started going to a variety of forums, establishing myself with a couple hundred friendly posts over the course of a year, and then casually asking questions about what people wear for the activity that each respective forum focuses on (golf, in this case). This thread has been a fantastic source of data so far!

(It's either THAT, or I simply thought my wife's comment was amusing, and figured I'd post in a forum to start a discussion.)

:-P

• Upvote 2

- John

2 hours ago, ppine said:

why would you care what other people you will never meet do at a driving range?

Ordinarily, no. I don't really care. Then I noticed that the people I often get paired up with are on the range.

One day, I went to the range in essentially my pajamas, hit a few balls then went home.

2 weeks later I got paired up with some people, and they mentioned I was the person in the undergarment t shirt and shorts with the tousled unwashed hair in a foreign language I am familiar. :-P

I dress for golf, now...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 3/19/2016 at 11:21 AM, Hardspoon said:

Topic inspired by my wife telling me I "look homeless" as I left the house to go to the (public) driving range.

I usually just wear my workout clothes - since it's cold right now, that's a pair of beat-up sweatpants and a hoodie.  I'm wondering how many people actually wear "golf clothes" even when it's a public range.

Actually I like your wife's comment and it made me pause.

I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt.But you know this is my home course where I practice. I really don't want the staff and people I know to think I look cheap-ass.

I actually threw away all my jeans last year when someone i respect told me that back in his day "only farmers wore jeans".

We don't have to look snooty, but we shouldn't look like the welfare line either. I vote for looking respectable either at the range or the course. 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

At the range, I wear whatever leg-clothes I have on at the time (khakis, jeans, shorts) and usually a golf shirt.

Edited by krupa

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Always golf attire irrespective of where I play

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Jeans, t shirt, whatever.

I never wear golf shoes when at the range. Always trainers. I wonder if there is a benefit to practising wearing golf shoes?

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Jeans, t shirt, whatever.

I never wear golf shoes when at the range. Always trainers. I wonder if there is a benefit to practising wearing golf shoes?

You're most certainly a better golfer than I, but I wear my golf shoes to the range because a lot of my instructed swing is from trusting the follow through. I've been told to focus on the feel of that left foot left sole weight transfer feels in that follow through, which (for me) feels completely different in my golf shoes vs anything else. That's why I always wear them. Even though practically speaking there is no added benefit. They're made to not slip and slide all over the course in the early morning dew conditions, or playing in wet conditions I think

Edit: Also, I wear the FJ superlites. So when comparing to my normal walkin' around shoes they are completely different

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Note: This thread is 2957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!