IGNORED

Greenbriar Under Water

Note: This thread is 2861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to Greenbriar Under Water

Here's what it looks like in West Virginia right now.

It's hard to see the course being ready for tournament play in two weeks.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

That storm was pretty severe.   I'm sure they'll work hard to make sure it will be in great shape.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow! I'm so glad that stuff missed us. It went by to our southwest. We got a few small thunderstorms and rather gentle rain. The AJGA was in town at Mill Creek, and they had to finish in a gentle, intermittent sprinkle this morning. A little off topic but, man, can some of those kids play golf!

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Oh man. Going by the title I assumed you meant monetarily. Wow.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Wow, I didn't know Greenbrier was in a flood plane. They might not play for a few years. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Wow, I didn't know Greenbrier was in a flood plane. They might not play for a few years. 

As fast as that water was moving, I wouldn't be surprised if it came and went and they were able to play (albeit ball in hand) for the tourney. Only takes a little wind and 3-4 days of heat to dry up a course after flooding. 

There might be some impact to the bunkers and rough and some tree damage, but the greens keeping crew at Greenbriar are top notch and can work miracles. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

7 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

As fast as that water was moving, I wouldn't be surprised if it came and went and they were able to play (albeit ball in hand) for the tourney. Only takes a little wind and 3-4 days of heat to dry up a course after flooding. 

There might be some impact to the bunkers and rough and some tree damage, but the greens keeping crew at Greenbriar are top notch and can work miracles. 

I think it will depend on how much of the turf was damaged by the swift moving water and debris it was carrying. If it is mostly intact it's possible that they will still be able to turn the condition around well enough to host the tournament, but if there was any significant debris being dragged along the ground by the water there could be some pretty nasty damage. It will be hard to tell until the water recedes and the extent of the damage is revealed.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

28 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

19 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I think it will depend on how much of the turf was damaged by the swift moving water and debris it was carrying. If it is mostly intact it's possible that they will still be able to turn the condition around well enough to host the tournament, but if there was any significant debris being dragged along the ground by the water there could be some pretty nasty damage. It will be hard to tell until the water recedes and the extent of the damage is revealed.

As someone who has been through ocean floods, I hope for the best but fear for the worst . Moving water can erode turf quickly and leave behind lots of dirt, sand and debris.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here is an overhead view (from the Washington Post) and I've read somewhere there maybe places with up to 3" of mud.
Larger photo here - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/06/24/historic-flood-engulfs-greenbrier-golf-course-home-to-pga-event-in-two-weeks/

Do they cancel, or can they try to move it to another location

13512125_10208520348318542_7736028007439

Edited by Wally Fairway

Players play, tough players win!

The video looks bad. I guess it depends on the weather going forward. If its dry they can probably get it ready. 

Michael

I did a lot of research on flood water damage, standing and moving, when we were about to purchase a house in a flood plain zone (we ended up not).  Moving flood water is devastating to grass. It completely messes up almost every aspect of the turf (sediments, density, mineral profile, pH, and and can bring in saltwater and all sort of junk depending on location). The roots will swell and if dried out too quickly can completely rot. Then there's the disease that comes with it. There is some terrific research that the government did (you heard me right... the government. I was absolutely shocked at the high-caliber report they wrote and everything, and this is coming from a chemical engineer).

I know that there are extremely skilled greenskeepers at Greenbriar and I'm really not all that familiar with how good folks can be when it comes to restoring damage like this, but I would be dumbfounded if they were to be able to repair the damage done in time for this tournament. Of course, that would be splendid if they could!

Edited by jkelley9
  • Upvote 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

As someone who has been through ocean floods, I hope for the best but fear for the worst . Moving water can erode turf quickly and leave behind lots of dirt, sand and debris.

Ocean water kills grass so salt water floods have a double attack.  The debris they carry and the moving water can erode and destroy areas of turf but long term the grass left will die due to salinity.  They would have to flush the area with a lot of fresh water to reduce the salt levels to save the grass.  

Joe Paradiso

7 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Ocean water kills grass so salt water floods have a double attack.  The debris they carry and the moving water can erode and destroy areas of turf but long term the grass left will die due to salinity.  They would have to flush the area with a lot of fresh water to reduce the salt levels to save the grass.  

Surprisingly, this is not always the case. My Mom's yard gets flooded every year and the grass recovers. It must be the kind of grass she has in Mass. Either way, I hope that area recovers quickly. Flooding devastates an area. My thoughts are with the folks in West Virginia.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:40 PM, saevel25 said:

I agree. We had floods in 2012 and the courses that were underwater took a few years to come back. When they did reopen it was just some holes and it was not as severe as the WV flooding.

Dave :-)

Don't know if it was accurate, but I saw a guy on the news specifically say that this is a "1000 year storm."

That is shocking to me since, as a civil engineer, I have never seen reference to such a thing.  Our worst case design storms are always 100 year.  I don't even think any of our reference materials go past 100 year storms.

Note: This thread is 2861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!