IGNORED

Dress Codes

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I prefer a reasonable dress code including collared shirt and decent length shorts or pants.  As far as color of socks or belt, quite frankly I have never run into this even at private clubs.  I do find amusing some the clubhouse dress requirements but it's their club, and no doubt old timers will call you out if you happen to leave  your hat on.  That being said I do dress in standard golf attire even if I play a course that does not require it - just a personal preference to show respect for the game and course.

At the two courses I play most near Pinehurst, there's a nice understated brass sign on the bar rails that let you know you should take off your hat in the grill rooms and bars.  In the Members bar, Joe the bartender will quietly and politely remind new members of the rule.  I'd never thought about it before, but it does seem like the right thing to do.  As in, my Mom taught me that gentlemen take off their hats indoors.  Mom is always right.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was a guy who had a bar.

He had a rule: NO HATS

We asked him why you couldn't wear a hat

He said it was against the rule, then went on to say he didn't really care about hats but life was a lot easier when he kept out the people who couldn't obey a simple rule

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

The course I am a member of does not have a dress code, however, I confess that I like them ...

... What is strange is that I hate golf snobbery, but I also hate chavy golfers.

What about you ?

The collared shirt rule lessens the chances someone will wear a tee shirt with an obscene remark written across the front. Some people have no sense of good taste, and such tee shirts are offensive to women and children who may be playing. (A problem at semi-privates, when discounted pricing goes wild and whoever shows up.)

Probably the most controversial is the no cargo shorts rule, seen at several private clubs in our area. I played in a senior tournament a couple of years ago, and half the players wore cargo shorts. One guy said he had tried unsuccessfully to get the rule changed at his private club (and, he was wearing cargos that day). 

One upscale resort course does a thriving business in basic khaki trousers. The pro shop sold them for $30 a pair to visitors arriving in unacceptable lower wear, such as gym shorts or jogging gear.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Probably the most controversial is the no cargo shorts rule, seen at several private clubs in our area. I played in a senior tournament a couple of years ago, and half the players wore cargo shorts. One guy said he had tried unsuccessfully to get the rule changed at his private club (and, he was wearing cargos that day)

I like cargo shorts because I can keep a few extra balls in one of the bigger pockets and they don't bother me during play.  Are any shorts with those lower pockets considered "cargo shorts"?

I don't really think of these shorts as cargo shorts but they have the pockets...  When the pockets are empty, you can barely notice them.

attire.png

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Cargo shorts should just be banned altogether...not just at golf courses. :whistle:

;-)

• Upvote 2
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

34 minutes ago, krupa said:

I like cargo shorts because I can keep a few extra balls in one of the bigger pockets and they don't bother me during play.  Are any shorts with those lower pockets considered "cargo shorts"?...

It's a close call. Forward the photo to Feherty and see what he says. But, he may say we should wear kilts.

Cargo pouches technically are pleated, so they can expand to hold bulky objects. You might be "called on cargo" for those.

What bugs me most about the rule? Cargo trousers and shorts come to us from the Vietnam war. U.S. ground units wore jungle utilities which had cargo pouches in the trouser thighs and the sides of the shirt. So, I'm taken aback that conservative elements - common in country clubs - don't grasp the patriotic trappings of cargo attire.

(Note: During the Vietnam war, most U.S. infantry units wore jungle utilities, which were a gray-green solid hue. Only special forces units wore camouflage jungle utilities. After Vietnam, the camouflage jungle utilities - or BDUs in Army parlance - became normal field wear for Marines and soldiers.)  

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My home club requires collared shirts tucked into slacks or Bermuda length shorts, no jeans, no cargo pants or shorts, no short skirts, tank tops or denim skirts for ladies.  We don't have any restriction on sock color or length.  On the course, golf shoes with soft cleats only, no metal spikes, or non golf shoes.  

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

At the two courses I play most near Pinehurst, there's a nice understated brass sign on the bar rails that let you know you should take off your hat in the grill rooms and bars.  In the Members bar, Joe the bartender will quietly and politely remind new members of the rule.  I'd never thought about it before, but it does seem like the right thing to do.  As in, my Mom taught me that gentlemen take off their hats indoors.  Mom is always right.

My only issue with no hat rules is that to me, my hat hair is most definitely more offensive than the hat itself.   :-( 

Also, the white socks thing is such a joke. I'd love to hear someone try to defend that one!

41 minutes ago, drmevo said:

My only issue with no hat rules is that to me, my hat hair is most definitely more offensive than the hat itself.   :-( 

Also, the white socks thing is such a joke. I'd love to hear someone try to defend that one!

That has to go back to the days when there were only white golf shoes, I can't imagine they want golfers to wear white socks with black golf shoes.  

Joe Paradiso

30 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

That has to go back to the days when there were only white golf shoes, I can't imagine they want golfers to wear white socks with black golf shoes.  

Hey now, I have wore white socks with black golf shoes before. Of course you can't see much with an ankle sock.

No matter the dress code I always wear a hat, polo, golf shorts or golf pants. Even when I go to the local driving range I wear golf clothes. I just can't picture myself in anything else.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

43 minutes ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

No matter the dress code I always wear a hat, polo, golf shorts or golf pants. Even when I go to the local driving range I wear golf clothes. I just can't picture myself in anything else.

X2

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

Hey now, I have wore white socks with black golf shoes before. Of course you can't see much with an ankle sock.

Doesn't count what color they are if you can't see them past the shoe.  

Joe Paradiso

9 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Doesn't count what color they are if you can't see them past the shoe.  

Is that actually part of the rule? 

(I know this sounds like a stupid, sarcastic question but I genuinely know nothing about sock dress codes.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I am OK with collared shirts ... but that is as far as I want to take it ... I could care less what you wear ... just keep a good pace ...

I would really pissed, if I had a play a 5hr round behind guys with white socks!  Plz!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

15 minutes ago, jamo said:

Is that actually part of the rule? 

(I know this sounds like a stupid, sarcastic question but I genuinely know nothing about sock dress codes.)

Sock dress codes. Now that's way out there, but funny just the same. Can I use this if the need arises? 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!