IGNORED

What is more fun? ballstriking or putting?

arturo28mx
Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with a lot of people so far. I think it depends on the day. After a long stressful day, I love smashing some balls at the range. There is also nothing more enjoyable than sinking 25+ ft putts multipul times in a round. 

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Ben Hogan agreed with, here's a quote from 1957

Personally, I probably get more immediate satisfaction from ballstriking, but I get longer term satisfaction from scoring well for an entire round, and I can't do that without putting.

When did Hogan say this? Was it when he was younger, and was winning a lot, or when he was older, and couldn't draw it back? I have been an average putter at best. My index is 3.1, and I would love to be a better putter.

I'm in the same boat as others.  

I love the feeling of hitting a solid shot.  Earlier today, I hit a handful of perfect drives that started on the line I intended, had a nice draw and flew long.  If I'm looking for a gratifying feeling that allows me to feel like I KINDA get this game a little bit... I'll take shots like that.  

I also love the feeling of executing a short game shot.  Some of my favorite golf memories are of the 45 yard (give or take) shots that are nipped perfectly, hit the green, hop once and then just zip and stop.  When things are going well for me and I can pull this off... these are the shots I daydream about.

Ultimately, though... when I can hit putts where I intended and have them track on the line I want... I find that to be the most satisfying feeling.  I completed something.  I really dislike looking at my scorecard and seeing a bunch of 1 foot to 4 foot final putts listed on there.  I LOVE seeing a few 7 foot to 15 foot one-putts, though.  

So... I guess what I'm saying is they're both fun and I have more fun with each of them at different times.  If I'm going to practice though... I want to hit the ball.  Practicing putting gets tedious, aggravating and boring in a hurry to me.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

That's easy for me, ballstriking by far.  For me it's such a great feeling to hit the ball really well and watch it fly long and straight (or with a slight draw or fade)

Yep

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I prefer the compression of ball with a driver into a wide fairway  to  a short sidehill breaking putt on lightening fast greens.

Putting can be fun if the hole locations aren't tricked up in sloped locations.

Ballstriking!  I love my 3 Wood in particular.  I have an old Warbird and I absolutely love pulling it out of the bag. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

Did you know - David Pelz in his Putting Bible foreward talks about a family or bunch of guys who play 18 skipping all the putting. You would think most golfers would prefer ballstriking.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Funny enough, as much as I like and work on my ballstriking, I have never once thrown a fist pump or let out a shout after a good tee or approach shot. My ballstriking sets me up in the hole, but I want to see that ball roll in the cup.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Funny enough, as much as I like and work on my ballstriking, I have never once thrown a fist pump or let out a shout after a good tee or approach shot. My ballstriking sets me up in the hole, but I want to see that ball roll in the cup.

Interesting point. Although I prefer the ballstriking aspect of the game. Almost all of my shout outs have came on the putting green.

5 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Interesting point. Although I prefer the ballstriking aspect of the game. Almost all of my shout outs have came on the putting green.

Just to kind of add onto my point, the fun I get out of playing golf is related to playing well, which means getting the ball close to the hole. Hitting a long drive isn't as fun for me as chipping it to tap-in distance or holing a long putt.

If I had to put my finger on it, it's because holing out is the time I can truly savor and enjoy a shot. I hit a good drive or approach and I still have to focus on the next shot. Hitting a bad subsequent shot kind of ruins the moment a bit (and there have been plenty of "blown" opportunities in my past).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Just to kind of add onto my point, the fun I get out of playing golf is related to playing well, which means getting the ball close to the hole. Hitting a long drive isn't as fun for me as chipping it to tap-in distance or holing a long putt.

If I had to put my finger on it, it's because holing out is the time I can truly savor and enjoy a shot. I hit a good drive or approach and I still have to focus on the next shot. Hitting a bad subsequent shot kind of ruins the moment a bit (and there have been plenty of "blown" opportunities in my past).

Yeah, I smell what you are laying down. If I hit a great drive, and my approach shot lands 5' from the pin,yet I miss the 5' putt. The good drive and approach shot are easily forgotten, even with a 2 putt par. there will be no celebration. I will still think back on the 2 great shots I had on that hole after I'm done, and blame my putting for my woes every time.. I guess what i'm saying is for me is. You can't rejoice until the ball is in the bottom of the cup, regardless of how it gets there. Yet I still concern myself with ballstriking over putting.

6 hours ago, jamo said:

Generally ballstriking, but it feels pretty damn good to curl in a putt you read just right and started on line.

I just want to add - there's nothing more satisfying than sticking an iron shot in close. When it lands on the green it makes that sound that you can still hear 200 yards away. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

8 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

I have a very personal feeling about golf and was wondering if other people feel the same way.

What I enjoy enormously about golf is striking the ball: with a driver, with irons, with wedges. Hitting a good drive or getting on the green from 180 yards makes me feel like Superman. But once I'm on the green I find putting rather boring. I will putt  to finish the hole and I'm a decent putter, but I find little fun in doing it. Many times when I'm playing solo I will pick up the ball once I get on the green and go on to the next hole. To me it's two different games, almost like mixing baseball with billiards.

Anybody else feel the same way?

I agree and the answer is well supported by data. Go to any driving range with a putting green and see how many people are paying to hit range balls, and how few are practice putting for free.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

4 hours ago, billchao said:

I think that might be partly cultural and psychological.

No one does it so it's not culturally acceptable. Furyk did an understated version when he put his drive in the fairway on 18 for the Travelers' tournament. Psychologically you are setting yourself up for an embarrassment if you celebrate a great drive or approach and then blow the opportunity. You might be celebrating on the inside, though.

I think in you and @Natural Patrick were sort of alluding to that 'have to wait to celebrate' effect.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

10 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

On the course, I enjoy them both equally. I get a lot of satisfaction out of lagging a 30 footer to tap in range or sinking a gnarly, breaking 6 footer.

I enjoy any well-struck shot, be it a 4W that flies over the pond to the edge of the green, or a six-foot putt that tumbles in at 4-o'clock.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Agree with OP. Putting is just not as fun. However, birdies are fun, and to make birdies I need to improve putting so I do always practice short game before the reward of the range. I get the feeling that when I start hitting more greens putting will be a lot more important to me.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Ball Striking hands down. True, draining a 30ft putt is still satisfying but ripping an iron off the fairway gives you such a buzz.

Put is this way. If you have a poor round, what do you remember, that 15ft putt on the 6th or that 6 iron to 10ft on the 9th?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!