IGNORED

What is more fun? ballstriking or putting?

arturo28mx
Note: This thread is 2707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a very personal feeling about golf and was wondering if other people feel the same way.

What I enjoy enormously about golf is striking the ball: with a driver, with irons, with wedges. Hitting a good drive or getting on the green from 180 yards makes me feel like Superman. But once I'm on the green I find putting rather boring. I will putt  to finish the hole and I'm a decent putter, but I find little fun in doing it. Many times when I'm playing solo I will pick up the ball once I get on the green and go on to the next hole. To me it's two different games, almost like mixing baseball with billiards.

Anybody else feel the same way?

On an average day where neither is outstanding, ball striking.  On a day when I seemingly can't miss with the putter, I'd have to say the putter reigns supreme.  Two putting from 20+ feet is mundane.  Sinking four 20+ footers in a round is euphoric (Did that about a month ago, still waiting for the repercussions).

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On the course, I enjoy them both equally. I get a lot of satisfaction out of lagging a 30 footer to tap in range or sinking a gnarly, breaking 6 footer.

But when practicing, I'll take the range over the practice green any day. Practicing putts just doesn't do it for me. 

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ben Hogan agreed with, here's a quote from 1957

"I have always contended golf is one game and putting is another. One game is played in the air, the other is played on the ground.

"If I had my way, every golf green would be made into a huge funnel. So that when you hit the funnel the ball would roll down a pipe into the hole.

"That way there would be no expensive upkeep of grass on the greens. And there would be much less misery among the golfers."

Personally, I probably get more immediate satisfaction from ballstriking, but I get longer term satisfaction from scoring well for an entire round, and I can't do that without putting.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

while, i prefer ball striking.... i mean how many times has someone got done at the range and you / they have just been striping the ball with your long irons,,, getting that nice piercing flight.... and you walk off like I got This ShT!!!!!!    

now while this is important, i learned a few years ago, you also have to put in the time on the putting green.....  while it isnt sexy, i put in my time on the practice green too

It is what it is

Generally ballstriking, but it feels pretty damn good to curl in a putt you read just right and started on line.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I enjoy which ever of the two games is going well for me that day. If my off the tee, and/or approach games are working well,  that's a plus for me. If not, I always know my putting game will save me a few strokes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Based on the number of putts that I generally make, I'll take a putt for a score (par or better) every time.

The ball striking along the way can be as good as it gets, but until the ball goes in the hole, the deed isn't done.

I receive almost equal delight from an excellent drive, an approach within 10 feet, and anytime I can one putt or no putt a green. But I must admit, holing that one putt from more than 6 feet (because less than 6 ft is expacted lol), closing out for par or birdie is immensely satisfying. If I curl in a 30 footer for bogey, it's more of a relief.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

That's easy for me, ballstriking by far.  For me it's such a great feeling to hit the ball really well and watch it fly long and straight (or with a slight draw or fade).

Anyone can make a long putt, even non-golfers putting for the 1st time.

I tend to agree with you. My perspective on it is that putting won't be as much fun until my ballstriking improves enough to put me closer to the pin regularly. Most of my putting is about lagging the ball, which is important, but less thrilling than pulling off a great strike of the ball.

That said, I can recall quite a few good putts as well as good long and short game strokes.

This topic would be ideal for a poll if you can add one.

Edited by natureboy
  • Upvote 1

Kevin

Hitting a good long iron trumps anything else on the course for me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I practice my swing a lot, but I don't really practice my driver specifically.

When I finally get out there it's always fun to blast a ball off the tee.

Nothing in golf feels better to me than draining a 10-15 footer than never leaves the line and just rams into the back of the cup. 

Except maybe a 30 footer...

But I've also done the pick up the ball and head to the next tee thing. But thats mostly when I'm practicing. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

I look at it this way, If I hit a GIR 420 yard par 4, it is greatly satisfying and joyful but a 2 putt doesn't ever churn up that kind of emotion. You have to 1-putt to feel that good.   

So fun, like awesome soul lifting fun? Yupp, ball striking.. All good golfers are at least decent strikers but many of them are yippy putters.

'Oh man I got away with a dumb screw up' type relief? Two putt par from 65 feet.

Winning the pot with a straight flush type joy? A birdie putt from within 15 feet. You drew a good hand (luck) and you conquered (executed without screwing it up).

Winning with a shitty hand type joy? A birdie putt from 20 plus feet. Mostly luck.

Vishal S.

From another thread, so slightly out of context, but still ...

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Ball striking is easily more enjoyable for me.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 2707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!