IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

23 years old....status on the PGA Tour....$320k+ earned in 2017 year...104th on money list......

I'm no Dechambeau apologist, but damn this is a tough crowd

Correct me if I'm wrong @Vinsk, but I think the intent behind that comment was that relative to the initial hype that accompanied his coming onto the scene last year, his subsequent outings haven't really lived up to expectations.

Yes, he's a good golfer, but if you drank the Kool aid last year, you're disappointed right now.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong @Vinsk, but I think the intent behind that comment was that relative to the initial hype that accompanied his coming onto the scene last year, his subsequent outings haven't really lived up to expectations.

Yes, he's a good golfer, but if you drank the Kool aid last year, you're disappointed right now.

Agree. I hope Rahm doesn't fall into that category. Announcers were fawning all over him last week with "he'll be #1 someday." I wish the guy well, but geez, he's won 1 tournament and they have him winning the Masters. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

(edited)
8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Agree. I hope Rahm doesn't fall into that category. Announcers were fawning all over him last week with "he'll be #1 someday." I wish the guy well, but geez, he's won 1 tournament and they have him winning the Masters. 

Agreed- I don't think he'll be a Dechambeau...perhaps more of an Adam Scott where there was a lot of initial hype followed by good (but not great) performances, eventually followed by bigger wins later in his career. While I was never on the Dechambeau train, I do think Rahm is the real deal and that even though he is a rookie, we won't have to wait long for more wins on Tour.

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Just now, woodzie264 said:

Agreed- I don't think he'll be a Dechambeau...perhaps more of an Adam Scott where there was a lot of initial hype followed by good (but not great performance), eventually followed by bigger wins later in his career. While I was never on the Dechambeau train, I do think Rahm is the real deal and that even though he is a rookie, we won't have to wait long for more wins on Tour.

What I found funny was Johnny Miller was praising his swing a lot. But we all know Johnny. If Rahm wasn't playing well Johnny would criticize the short back swing. 

I have no issue with DeChambeau either. I have more issues with the hype machine always looking for the next Arnie, Jack, Tiger, Seve.... Let the guys play.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Leaving for GA tomorrow morning.  Can't wait, also just got an invite to the Team Wasserman Wednesday evening Master's event.  Hopefully some of their players that are in the tournament will be there.

Rickie Fowler, Zach Johnson, Jason Day, Andy Sullivan, & Bernd Wiesberger.  They also have Tom Watson as a client, so maybe he'll be there as well.  :beer:

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, jkelley9 said:

I don't really have a good answer to this. I do love watching his drives, though. I think I more prefer the players that actually show some level of excitement after a good shot/putt. He "acts like he's been there" (which he has, duh lol) but from my entertainment perspective I love the fist pumps, the dances, etc. I guess I'm weird like that lol. Jordan gets pretty excited, Day gets mildly excited, Ricky gets excited, Dustin does not.

As an entertainer, which all professional sports players are, he doesn't have mass-appeal. No emotion, monotone interviews, etc. Now, for us who play, his game is magnificent to behold and there's a lot to be learned by watching him. But for the TV-ness and sport as a whole he's just not interesting. Tiger, Bubba, Jason Day, Rory, these guys are more exiting to watch because you get to see what's going on inside.

• Upvote 1

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

GC Tiger Tracker is going nuts trying to figure out if Woods will play, I can't get excited over the prospect. If he plays, he plays, woohoo, not expecting much if he does. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

23 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Exactly. And I know it's still early, but having joined the few who won both NCAA and US Amateur, which aside from Moore is a prestigious group of golfers, he's a flop.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Rahm's having success. DeChambeau really hasn't touched success yet on Tour. He would show flashes and contended in a couple majors for a while and a tournament here and there, but he doesn't have any wins and he wasn't going toe-to-toe with the #1 player two tournaments in a row. It's just that feeling in your gut that Rahm is going to go places with his game and he's going to be a top-5 player soon. I never had that gut feeling with Bryce yet.

No big surprise here...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/woods-miss-masters-second-straight-year

Tiger Woods announced on his website Friday evening that he will miss the Masters for the second straight year due to a back injury.

"Unfortunately, I won't be competing in this year's Masters," Woods said. "I did about everything I could to play, but my back rehabilitation didn't allow me the time to get tournament ready."

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

1 minute ago, Yukari said:

It's all right, I'm looking forward to a good Masters tournament anyway.  I think DJ is going to put on a show!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Just now, phillyk said:

It's all right, I'm looking forward to a good Masters tournament anyway.  I think DJ is going to put on a show!

Yeah, me too.  I am hoping at least one of Rory, DJ, Rickie and Spieth are in contention on Sunday.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

1 minute ago, Yukari said:

Yeah, me too.  I am hoping at least one of Rory, DJ, Rickie and Spieth are in contention on Sunday.

I think all have seemed to play decently enough recently to give a go.  I'd add Matsuyama to that list though.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 2/23/2017 at 11:41 AM, jkelley9 said:

Dustin Johnson is just a boring story to me, to be honest. Despite being remarkably talented.

On 2/23/2017 at 0:21 PM, klineka said:

Curious, why do you think Dustin Johnson is a boring story?

I really enjoy watching him play, hitting distances that I could only dream about. He blew the field away at the Genesis Open it was impressive to watch.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:35 AM, jkelley9 said:

I don't really have a good answer to this. I do love watching his drives, though. I think I more prefer the players that actually show some level of excitement after a good shot/putt. He "acts like he's been there" (which he has, duh lol) but from my entertainment perspective I love the fist pumps, the dances, etc. I guess I'm weird like that lol. Jordan gets pretty excited, Day gets mildly excited, Ricky gets excited, Dustin does not.

I remember once upon a time when David Duval was also considered boring.  He wore his Oakley sunglasses, never showed much emotion, but was a golfing machine.  He won 13 tournaments in 4 years including The Players Championship, The Tour Championship and The Open, and only cracked a smile twice and did one fist pump (when he shot 59).

Personally, I like watching guys like him and Faldo, but I like emotion too.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Weather forecast shows a cold front moving through Augusta on Thursday, bringing with it high winds and cooler temps for a couple days. When I think of higher winds and cooler temps, that brings me back to 2007 when ZJ won, 2008 when Immelman won and 2016 when Willett won. In other words, all guys who won who were not at the top of many guys shortlist. So something to keep in mind while everyone is picking the favorites.

• Upvote 1

Shortest odds from various bookies around the globe.Today.

DJ 5/1,  Spieth 13/2,  Mcilroy 13/2,  Matsuyama 16/1

Day 16/1  Rahm 18/1  Fowler 18/1   Rose 22/1

Phil 25/1  Stenson 25/1  Scott 25/1  J.Thomas 30/1

Willett 80/1  Hatton 40/1 Garcia 40/1  Bubba 33/1 

Obviously most money going on the first three.

Will be rooting for Phil,Sergio,the Beef and Rory with my heart. Zach Johnson at 100/1 would be a good outside each way bet.

Looking forward to it.Such a pity Tiger won't be playing but better to withdraw and give someone else a chance who can actually complete a round.

Old guys rule. Langer 600/1   Mize 5000/1.

Edited by Scotsclaff
Just added a bit more info.

17 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Weather forecast shows a cold front moving through Augusta on Thursday, bringing with it high winds and cooler temps for a couple days. When I think of higher winds and cooler temps, that brings me back to 2007 when ZJ won, 2008 when Immelman won and 2016 when Willett won. In other words, all guys who won who were not at the top of many guys shortlist. So something to keep in mind while everyone is picking the favorites.

Good shout. Will bare in mind when making my bets.

Willett at 80"s!!!!! Must be the highest odds ever for a defending champion.

Yeah was listening to Bob Harig and he was saying the wind forecast looks similar to that of 2007 when ZJ won. Looks to be very bad winds Thursday and blustery Friday and Saturday with cool conditions. Could be difficult scoring conditions. When the wind blows, predicting a champion becomes nearly impossible.

Note: This thread is 2514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!