IGNORED

The Demise Of The Local "Mom & Pop" Golf Shops

1badbadger
Note: This thread is 2608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems to me with MAP from most companies the variance in club and high end ball prices has very little variation. I bought my last set of Titleist woods and irons through my club. As good a deal as any and got some goodwill with my pro.

Also I suspect that most mom and pops can't swing a $25,000 Trackman. Can't really do a good fitting anymore without that data. And who would want to?

Edited by ev780

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

We have a Mom & Pop golf store in this area along with a couple sporting goods stores. 

I quit doing business with the shop after I purchased a set of irons from them. The fitting went nothing like the Mizuno website advertised (the shop is a certified retailer/fitter). The owner at the time was all about moving merchandise - less about selling the right equipment. Not a terrible person, but certainly not the most honest.

Last year, the shop was sold to a former employee who I always thought of as a decent guy. I went back and bought a demo driver from him this year. He took the time to have me take some swings in the sim and fit a proper shaft to it. Instead of buying everything online, I'm now going to make purchases from him when it makes sense.

Sometimes smaller Mom & Pop shops go out of business not because of the big box stores, but simply because they treat customers poorly. I don't mind spending a little bit more for a product when the shop is locally owned, it's convenient, and I'll receive good advice. But when the owner and all the employees of a hardware store, for example, have nothing but contempt for customers, driving 10 miles to do business with someone else becomes an easy choice.

While I'm not happy to see any business fail, it's no surprise when it happens.

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

In the relatively brief time period I've played golf, I don't really think we've had anything other than the big boxers and course pro shops. Now with the demise of the local Golfsmith, we have less. 

Not really much of a deal one way or the other for me. All my clubs are either bought used or cast offs.

It's unfortunate when someone has a bad experience like Jon mentioned.  Whether it's a locally owned golf shop, hardware store, restaurant, or whatever, from a consumer's point of view for some reason (at least to me anyway) it seems like a bad interaction has a bigger impact than if it happens at a nation-wide chain business, you know what I mean?

@mcanadiens It could become a problem since most golf courses and big box stores don't do much used or knock-off clubs....unless the shops in your area do handle used stuff as well...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

And sometimes Mom & Pops go out of business because Mom & Pop get old and they want to retire. If they can't sell to someone who wants to carry on the business, they'll sell to whoever! One of my favorite small hunting and fishing stores is now a carpet outlet!

On 3/10/2017 at 0:39 PM, 1badbadger said:

R.I.P. Golf Stop.

Badger, I didn’t know! I was in two weeks ago to look around and ended up with a hybrid to donate to a tournament and was going in this coming week for some re-grips. Rest in peace indeed! A Fort Worth institution!. -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Well I'm in Orlando so I can't really complain. PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy, Edwin Watts, Dicks, Did have 2 GolfSmiths. Both GG and PGA Super sell used equipment too. Mom & Pop would probably not have a chance here.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 3/10/2017 at 10:39 AM, 1badbadger said:

Does anyone else miss the little local shops as much as I do?

I never got to experience them. But I enjoyed your well written post!

Edited by gregsandiego

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Golf and cycling have a lot in common in that anyone can play or ride regardless of age or ability. They also can be relatively expensive. But cycling does have one advantage over golf in terms of retail. The manufacturers of bicycles, especially the big names, treat the retailers like dealerships. Trek won't sell bikes to just anyone. They want to make sure that their shops don't take business away from each other. If one shop goes under, they will sell fewer bikes. This is why their are many more M&P bike shops and relatively few big box store shops.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Golf and cycling have a lot in common in that anyone can play or ride regardless of age or ability. They also can be relatively expensive. But cycling does have one advantage over golf in terms of retail. The manufacturers of bicycles, especially the big names, treat the retailers like dealerships. Trek won't sell bikes to just anyone. They want to make sure that their shops don't take business away from each other. If one shop goes under, they will sell fewer bikes. This is why their are many more M&P bike shops and relatively few big box store shops.

Your point about local bike shops is interesting...at the beginning of the week, a neighbor friend called me to ask for my help with buying some golf clubs.  He's 54 years old and has never played golf, but wants to start because he has a son in college who plays, and he thought it would be a good way to spend time together.  This is the day I found out this particular shop had closed down.  My friend is a very avid cyclist and we were discussing how the local bike shops have been affected by the internet and other changes in how people buy and compared it to local golf shops. He mentioned also how cycle shops that have a good mechanic have survived since repairs and adjustments aren't an internet thing.

8 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I never got to experience them. But I enjoyed your well written post!

I appreciate that Greg

10 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

Badger, I didn’t know! I was in two weeks ago to look around and ended up with a hybrid to donate to a tournament and was going in this coming week for some re-grips. Rest in peace indeed! A Fort Worth institution!. -Marv

Z-Boaz, Glen Garden, Golf Stop...all gone.  It's sad Marv...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Golf and cycling have a lot in common in that anyone can play or ride regardless of age or ability.

Your mention of the two sports caused me to remember when I was growing up that we had a number of Golf & Tennis shops. Perhaps they were Tennis & Golf? I was more into tennis then, and golf seemed foreign to me. But I know there were several like that- mom & pop type stores with small showrooms and the sales people would handle both sports.

Over the years, they all disappeared, of course, but I had forgotten that Golf & Tennis were the two sports around here that seemed to be combined into one outlet.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

18 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

@mcanadiens It could become a problem since most golf courses and big box stores don't do much used or knock-off clubs....unless the shops in your area do handle used stuff as well...

What I meant is that my entire bag is stuff I either bought from individuals (Craigslist) or received from friends. I've never actually bought a club from a store.

Not knock-offs, cast offs. The nicest I ever received was from my good friend @Jeremie Boop. He gave me a Nike VRS driver that has actually rotated back into my bag in recent months.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a mom and pop golf shop.  Back in the day, the only place we could find much in the way of quality equipment was at the course pro-shops.  

Compared to that, it was a big deal and very welcome, when the first specialty golf chains (Nevada Bobs for me) came on the scene...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

While we don't have many golf courses in our densely populated inner-ring suburb, we do have two golf shops like the one you described. The first is simply a custom club shop that sells off brand equipment customized for you. An old man owns and runs the shop and I doubt it'll stay around after he's gone. I often smile as I drive by and see the "open" sign illuminated, knowing he has lived another day.

The second store is an equipment retailer. No nets, no simulator, just a whole bunch of brand name equipment crammed into a 1950s retail space. They match prices from online, so I will find what I am looking for online and then head over and purchase from the local guys.  I am always happy to keep my money close to home. So far they seem to be holding their own. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, dennyjones said:

We had a local golf store close last year,  King Par.   They manufactured or had somebody manufacture the Olimar and Knight brand.   I really enjoyed their tent sales.   Sad to see small operations go, whether golf or other businesses.

Yeah that was a sad announcement. King Par had become my go to location after Golf Haus closed in Lansing.
Golf Haus had been around since at least the mid 70's (when I used to go there in high school), and I think it closed in 2011 or 2012. It was a small store, but had a lot of clubs, balls and some shoes. Always great prices, but as Dick's grew and the internet became a go to supplier for many, I think it was just too hard for these local brick & mortar places to survive.

Players play, tough players win!

I was a "component" guy for a very long time. I had a club maker, who also knew quite a bit about the golf swing. He had knack for building clubs to fit one's golf swing. He had alot to do with my "A" game when I had it.

He also did repairs on just about anything golf related. His wife even did some of the work on stuff. I one took a golf ball into him that I cut the skin during a swing. As a joke, I asked if he could repair it. He took it and told me to wait. A few minutes later he returned with the same brand ball, in mint condition, and told me $5. We had a good laugh on that one. 

I know at the age of 65, he was still a scratch player. The old fairways, and greens kind of player. 

His wife had this big old sewing machine that she used for everyting from repairing bags to making custom head covers. 

Some of the lessor known tour players, at that time,  would use his knowlege to help with his games. 

He once told me that even though he was a component club builder, he had a favorite brand of club. Surprisingly it was not any of the bigger, well known brands being used by the tour pros at that time. I bought a set of his favorite brand of clubs, and they have served me well over the years.

Unfortunately his body finally wore out on him and he passed a way. His son took over the business, but didn't have the expertise his father had.

When the shop closed, there was big sale on all the equipment in the store. I purchased some stuff, thinking I might want to get into the club making business. That idea never made made it very far many reasons. :-(

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 hours ago, Patch said:

I was a "component" guy for a very long time. I had a club maker, who also knew quite a bit about the golf swing. He had knack for building clubs to fit one's golf swing. He had alot to do with my "A" game when I had it.

He also did repairs on just about anything golf related. His wife even did some of the work on stuff. I one took a golf ball into him that I cut the skin during a swing. As a joke, I asked if he could repair it. He took it and told me to wait. A few minutes later he returned with the same brand ball, in mint condition, and told me $5. We had a good laugh on that one. 

I know at the age of 65, he was still a scratch player. The old fairways, and greens kind of player. 

His wife had this big old sewing machine that she used for everyting from repairing bags to making custom head covers. 

Some of the lessor known tour players, at that time,  would use his knowlege to help with his games. 

He once told me that even though he was a component club builder, he had a favorite brand of club. Surprisingly it was not any of the bigger, well known brands being used by the tour pros at that time. I bought a set of his favorite brand of clubs, and they have served me well over the years.

Unfortunately his body finally wore out on him and he passed a way. His son took over the business, but didn't have the expertise his father had.

When the shop closed, there was big sale on all the equipment in the store. I purchased some stuff, thinking I might want to get into the club making business. That idea never made made it very far many reasons. :-(

Do tell - what were his favorite brand of clubs?

Players play, tough players win!

We have a locally owned golf store here in Charlotte with two locations that seems to be doing well. It's called Greater Golf Express. They sell both new and pre-owned equipment and can do most any repair work one might need. I go there occasionally, but there's a Dick's less than one mile away so that is my main source for balls, gloves, apparel, and re-gripping etc. All of my recent club purchases have been from on-line retailers specializing in pre-owned clubs. I guess I'm like a lot of people in that I would love to buy locally from small retailers, but the convenience of big box stores and on-line retailers is hard to beat. That along with their prices means they usually end up with my business.   

Note: This thread is 2608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!