IGNORED

I can hit iron hyrbrids way better than reg irons

Eklypised
Note: This thread is 2533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont know why but I can crush and hit straight hybrid irons. If i try to use regular irons from 3-8 irons I suck. Anybody have and idea why this could be?

Hybrids are designed to be more forgiving of bad hits. I can crush a 4H, but can't hit a 4i anymore. I can hit a 5H more consistently than a 5i. I'm even thinking of swallowing my pride and buying a 6H. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is the point of hybrids. :-)

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You're doing it right. :-)

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm the opposite, can't hit a hybrid to save my life despite tons of practice with various models, but I can pure a 4i fairly easily.

I have no idea why some can hit this or that club, and some can't, it's a strange thing for sure.

Edited by MrDC

I am 65 and have replaced my 2i thru 6i with hybrids over the last few years and have the same distance I had 12 years ago with the irons.  I am actually longer with the 2h than I ever was with the 2i. 

I was always a very good iron player, but as I got older I went to hybrids in my 3 thru 6 iron. I think some of it is a slower swing speed and some that hybrids are more forgiving plus usually hit the ball higher. You could not take mine away from me for love or money. When I first tried a 5 hybrid it was on a par 3 that I had trouble keeping my ball on the green. It had a huge bunker in front of the green and the green sloped from front to back. Thus if I did not hit the ball on the front part of the green it would usually go off the back. Short I was in the bunker which was very deep and when in it, you could not see the green at all, only the flag unless it was toward the front. My buddy had just bought a hybrid and offered it to me to try. I hit a high shot that hit close to the middle of the green and pretty much stayed there. Before the month was out I had all the hybrids in my bag and never regretted it.

Like this

IMG_2053.jpg

or this

14tedxcg7hymrh879.jpg

Pretty big difference hybrid iron to hybrid. I use the CB and it's a forgiving and versatile head compared to a regular hybrid or iron. hot face and bad hit usually fly towards the target unless it's a bad hit because of a path issue.

Dave :-)

I would be in the "can't hit a hybrid to save my life" category.I have tried quite a few without success.

Is there a definitive way to hit them,I see some suggest hitting down,others sweeping like a wood.

Also I don't understand the rescue/play from a bad lie thing,to me they are like woods and can only b played from the best lie.Although hybrid irons might be different in this respect.

2 minutes ago, knucklebuster said:

I would be in the "can't hit a hybrid to save my life" category.I have tried quite a few without success.

Is there a definitive way to hit them,I see some suggest hitting down,others sweeping like a wood.

Also I don't understand the rescue/play from a bad lie thing,to me they are like woods and can only b played from the best lie.Although hybrid irons might be different in this respect.

What I am told is that a good 20 degree hybrid should setup more or less like a slightly longer modern 4i. I was also told that most hybrids have shafts that are too long, and to try choking up an inch or two on it. Seemed to work pretty well.

The bad lie thing is possibly because of the weight of the club? If you hit fat the bounce and weight tend to allow you to make some sort of contact with the ball that could get it out of trouble? I tend to use the hybrid as a rescue when I hit a duffed 50 yard drive off the tee and need to hit to about where my driver normally goes when the 3W is not usable. For out of woods and stuff, I tend to use irons. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

34 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Like this

IMG_2053.jpg

or this

14tedxcg7hymrh879.jpg

Pretty big difference hybrid iron to hybrid. I use the CB and it's a forgiving and versatile head compared to a regular hybrid or iron. hot face and bad hit usually fly towards the target unless it's a bad hit because of a path issue.

Just to clarify I use the second type of hybrid shown and not one like the CB.

Edited by NJpatbee

IME many struggle to hit all longer clubs when it's not from the tee. If you have a hybrid in your hands it's probably because you already duffed the previous shot. You're further out than you'd usually be and there is pressure to recover. A big wonky swing later trying to fix the mistake and you're chasing another errant shot. My swing thought when hitting a hybrid is smooth and easy, let the club do the work and usually it goes where I need it to, somewhat.

Dave :-)

5 hours ago, GolfGurl said:

And I cant figure out how to hit a hybrid....:hmm:

Hit it like a middle iron (5i or 6i). Hit down slightly, but don't chop down like some people hit wedges.

If you have trouble missing to the left, make sure the hybrid clubhead doesn't have a draw bias.

I had a terrible time with hybrids the first couple I tried to use. Then I went to a demo day, and found two which worked pretty well: An Adams ?? and a Callaway Diablo. It turned out that both were tour heads, with R-flex shafts... Tour + R was almost special order at the time.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

@Dave2512 I'd even get on the bus with you. I honestly wish Exotics made a hybrid with less draw bias, it seems most of them have it, less the Tour Models. (Even though the face angle is supposed to be square).

I agree hybrids and hybrid irons are easier to hit. And that's coming from someone who still carries and hits a 4-iron well. @WUTiger mentioned in another post, I should of went in the CB Pro H or Pro Tungsten direction, but if I did that I would have gotten them 2-AW. Those and the Pro H are hybrid irons.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 4/18/2017 at 7:29 AM, MrDC said:

I'm the opposite, can't hit a hybrid to save my life despite tons of practice with various models, but I can pure a 4i fairly easily.

I have no idea why some can hit this or that club, and some can't, it's a strange thing for sure.

Ditto for me.  Few times I did try hybrids, I tended to hook more.  With irons, I have a baby draw, but with hybrids they turned into hooks.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Eve when I could play a little bit my 2 iron was basically a frozen rope! I've replaced the 2,3,4, and 5 irons w/hybrids and am as happy as a pig in slop! And I didn't have to figure out how to hit them. I just put my regular swing on them, and they went farther and higher than I was used to! I can still hit the 6 through PW fairly well, so no need to replace them. Yet!

Note: This thread is 2533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!