IGNORED

Is your Summer slipping away?

todgot
Note: This thread is 2439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every Spring I have high expectations and goals for my golf game and my yard.  It starts out with such promise but now it's mid July and it seems as if the summer is slipping away.  The yard needs serious attention and golf game is in the midst of it's yearly midsummer slump.  Six more weeks until Labor Day and my wife let me know I only have 1 free weekend during that time... everything else is booked.  :-(  I'm thinking about getting Game Golf to see where I can improve my game and better track my stats but it's probably too late to help for this year.  Is it too early to start planning for 2018? 

People from California, Florida and other year round golf locations can refrain from gloating.  

Edited by todgot
typo

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It starts getting depressing in July and August when you can feel the days getting shorter. 

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I feel the same.   I'm playing quite a bit but still not as much as I'd like.   Family from out of town, wife's birthday (she seems to think she gets more than a birth day),  other obligations that are unforeseen.   I have a membership from a local public course and I've only played about 30 times there.   Last year this time I had over 50 rounds.   I was thinking just yesterday that I have to get serious about golfing this summer if my membership is going to cost worthy. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

It's getting away from me, yes.  I had golf and non-golf things I intended to finish this summer that I'm not getting done as quickly as I'd like.

Yes, get the game golf.  No, it isn't too early to start planning for 2018.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

(she seems to think she gets more than a birth day),  

My wife has claimed a birthday WEEK!!  I promise not to mention that to yours, if we ever meet.

Other than that, I'm in a little period of burn out, which may be caused in large part by the burning hot weather.  If the highs descend down to 90 or so, I'll be ready to go back at it full speed.  Even now, I play Saturday and Sunday and Tuesday after work, I just haven't been motivated to practice much.  I'll get back to it, try to pace myself to be fresh and hot in October, and then enjoy Thanksgiving in Pinehurst.  After that week-long golf orgy, I usually don't mind taking a couple months off of the routine in the winter.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My wife has claimed a birthday WEEK!!  I promise not to mention that to yours, if we ever meet.

Must be a woman thing.    My wife wants a minimum of a birthday week... I'm with you...never mention birthdays ...

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Just now, dennyjones said:

Must be a woman thing.    My wife wants a minimum of a birthday week... I'm with you...never mention birthdays ...

I don't have to mention, she does enough on her own.  And yes, she's working on getting a birthday MONTH!

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I have this feeling occasionally, too. Fortunately, I still normally have until mid November to get good golf in, and the Newport Cup is going to help me stay strong in October.

College football helps to distract me in the fall a little bit.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I have played more good golf this year than I have in the last 2-3 years combined. This is mainly due to joining a cc 5 minutes from work and stealing 4-9 holes quickies couple a times a week after work and once on weekends. I also get to the range 3-4 times a week during lunch for 10-15 mins. I have also played few cc tourneys which has made a big difference in my competitive chops.

Oddly it has also been the toughest year at work with large number of new project launches, especially in summer.

I pay someone to mow the lawn now in favor of more time with my kids.  

Gotta do what you gotta do...

Edited by GolfLug
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Haven't worked since May 30 and it's been an enjoyable summer. Students return in 2 1/2 weeks in Hawaii so yes it's coming to an end but the work is engaging then ten weeks later is fall break! Yes @DaveP043 I'll get the tr up shortly.

About the birthdays, I cant say it was fully intended but the though crossed my mind when got married real close to her birthday. So it's an Us week and her day. 

Aloha,

iSank

Edited by iSank
Add # then change # to @

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Summer only just got here, in north Georgia, about a week ago.  We've had so much rain that the mercury has rarely cracked 90.  Opportunities to play have been few and far between.  When you do get out...you can plan on zero roll.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't have to mention, she does enough on her own.  And yes, she's working on getting a birthday MONTH!

I had a girlfriend that claimed that. I told her to pound sand. 

otherwise I do not want to talk about summer ending

Hush your mouth.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I have simply kept up my routine despite the heat...Practice Tuesday and Thursday (sometimes more), golf on Saturday. Scores are dropping again. I hope I am doing this in December. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

7 hours ago, Piz said:

Summer only just got here, in north Georgia, about a week ago.  We've had so much rain that the mercury has rarely cracked 90.  Opportunities to play have been few and far between.  When you do get out...you can plan on zero roll.  

In Spokane, summer starts July 4th and ends August 30th.  I went to an outdoor concert last night and regretted not bringing a sweater.  

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

I am in what I call the uncomfortable time of year for golf. Higher triple digits are the norm right now.

Except for a occassional thunder boomie blowing through, the lows are in the high 80s, to low 90s. 

We have had some early tee times lately, but the high humidity is not doing us any favors. Maybe another 3-4 weeks left in our monsoon season. 

I don't handle the higher temps as well as I use to. :cry:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Injuries set me back this year. I've played 3 times in July and two were par 3 courses. Work set me back this week. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Upstate NY we get winter, wet spring. storms all summer (this year) and then short fall, then 6 months of winter again. I just started my golf life in Mid june, so hot to play well this summer and days are short in the fall, so no after work time. Its is tough when time flies by.

Cobra Max Irons......Cobra F7 Hybrid..... 

A cheap Wedge and Driver I picked up online....

A bunch of Balls.... and a bag for it all.

15 hours ago, todgot said:

Is it too early to start planning for 2018? 

Nooooooooo  Don't tell me summer is almost over.  

It does seem to be going away quickly.  We have had a very, very rainy spring and summer, and the golf courses have taken a beating.  An already short season has been much shorter because at least 2 or 3 days every week you can't or don't want to slog through the course.  

Yesterday had four drives that hit in the middle of the fairway and bounced back a few inches because the ground is so soft.

Hoping that the snow stays away this fall and we get to play into November like last year.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Note: This thread is 2439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!