IGNORED

The (No) Sixes Challenge

iacas

Good idea for an award.  Not so easy to do.

My 76 on Sunday still didn't get there.  The par 5s were no problem, but one tee shot in the water on #11 and I'm out of the running.

It's really about 'clean' golf more than going low.  (and no sandbagging at 'exec' courses, IMHO).  Good par 5s, sure. For me, though, it's about not making a 'big' mistake on a Par 4 - seems I get 6's on 4's more than on 5's.  weird.

This should be fun to track.  Plenty of season left to try.

(I've also completely forgotten about catching a LW pitch on video, gotta get the cell phone out and do that too)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did it this past Monday: https://www.ushandicap.com/golf-handicap/scores_detail.asp?scoreID=154373157.  It was also my 20th round in the 70s this year (and my goal was 15 or better, after   I achieved only 9 and 10 rounds in the 70s last year and the year before). I see that there at least another 2 similar rounds (one for 78 and another for 75) at the same course in my last 20, with no 6s.

I played another round since (shot 81) and it had 3 6s:  2 on par 5s, with a bad chip following a bad approach, and a double on a par 4, following a really poor tee shot which was fortunately still in bounds, but led to a layup, a sand shot and the typical 2 putts. SMH.

In other words, it's doable, but it's not "easy".

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

So hit your 2-hybrid with the blue PURE Grip on it. It's not cheating... It's just a knowing your shot zones.

@iacas

I've actually got those sweet sweet PURE groups on all my clubs cept the putter.

Oh, and I can push slice that hybrid across the ocean.

Colin P.

59 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Never mind, it was Wednesday, i.e. just 2 days ago (and I can't remember when... that should tell you something about my "mental" ability :-D)

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
2 hours ago, sjduffers said:

In other words, it's doable, but it's not "easy".

Congrats, even if you can't count backward two days. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

I've actually got those sweet sweet PURE groups on all my clubs cept the putter.

Oh, and I can push slice that hybrid across the ocean.

Just like we are demonstrating a proper shoulder height drop. 

I guess the point is not to put yourself in a spot were you will make a six. Near greens are important on Par 4s, GIR are almost a must on Par 5s, they aren't as important on Par 3s, basically keep the ball in front of you and advance it safely.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Just missed a 5 footer for bogey on a par 5 :-(

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Just missed a 5 footer for bogey on a par 5 :-(

Even if you had made it you wouldn't have met the challenge…?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Even if you had made it you wouldn't have met the challenge…?

Actually, I meant that I missed my par putt for a bogey. Punctuation was missing because I blogged on the course today. :whistle:

In any case, it's going to take getting used to my new distance off the tee. Obstacles that weren't before, now are. :hmm: My best drive carried into a tree on the 10th and that's when I decided to pack it in. My second best drive hit a sprinkler head and bounced backwards. I know it hit the sprinkler because it jumped up about 30 feet in the air. All my other drives made these beautiful flights right into a tree. Somehow I had no trouble finding them. . . I had a simple chip from a tiny bunker situated above the hole for an eagle, which I bladed because of a clump of grass growing in the smallest bunker on the course and possibly in all of So. Cal. and turned that into a bogey too.

This challenge is really tough.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5 hours ago, mchepp said:

I am gonna try my best to get the award this weekend. I love the idea.

You don't always try your best? :-D 

P.S.  My 81 today included 3 sixes...  :8)

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

You don't always try your best? :-D 

We're padding our caps for a reason. ;-)

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

We're padding our caps for a reason. ;-)

Since you're still a +1, I might be able to give you some pointers!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This challenge is right in line with my typical mental strategy of playing a round, I just word it differently... 5 or Better.  I started doing it back when my goal was to become a bogey golfer (18 fives is a 90), and have just continued with the same mentality (knowing today the pars and birdies will happen, while avoiding the blow up holes).

I think it's a great challenge/goal to focus on!  Good luck to everyone!

For me, this really depends on getting off the tee. If I get off the tee and have somewhat of a clear shot to the green, I have a good chance of accomplishing this. The problem is on every tee, I have a really really good chance of hitting it off the planet - with virtually any club.

Edited by colin007
Forgot something

Colin P.

445544435-455444355-77

I think this is a really good challenge. As others have said, it means keeping the ball in play. Penalty strokes will make this nearly impossible.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

This is a good goal to have when I play golf.  Quite often I will hit the ball really well all day, but will inevitably take a 6, 7, or 8 somewhere.  A recent round I played, I shot a 76 with one triple and one double in the round.   I had three birdies also....but it seems to happen every time I play.  The 6 was a 4 putt on a par 4.  Still can't believe I did that...

The triple bogey was the result of a bladed chip around the green and then a comeback chip that was to a hole on a severe down slope...3 putts later I took a triple...after splitting the fairway perfectly and hitting an approach that only landed a few feet from the green. 

It is all about concentration and not letting that happen on the course.  It catches me almost every time.  My best rounds(obviously) are ones without 6's in them.  

• Administrator
16 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

445544435-455444355-77

I think this is a really good challenge. As others have said, it means keeping the ball in play. Penalty strokes will make this nearly impossible.

Was this a round since the Challenge was issued? Are you claiming the achievement?