Midpack

Poll: How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can You Manage During a Scoring Round?

How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can/Do You Manage ON COURSE?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How Many "Swing Thoughts" Can/Do You Manage ON COURSE?

• Zero on course, swing thoughts are for practice only
    • ONE, more than that and I'm not consistent
    • TWO, more than that and I'm not consistent
    • THREE or more

14 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I voted one, but with some caveats. I will only have one swing thought for any given shot, but on different types of shots I have a different thought. My tee shot thought is a little different than for my irons, because the swing is difference, and my chips and putts usually have the thought of keeping my head down and not looking to see the result too early.

This is what I do. It's one per swing, but not necessarily the same thought on every swing. It's all based on the situation.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted zero because I work a feel.  The feel is always the same.  I hit one shot.  Even if I hit 3 in a row bad my intent doesn't waver because it works.

Changing feels ruin my game.  I just seek repetition.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:46 AM, Vinsk said:

Ok. How many can I manage? Zero. How many do I have? 9-10. Yep.

:-D

Yes, manage "well" is another issue. Then for sure 0.

I’ll say 2, with the stipulation that they be 1 on the backswing and 1 on the downswing. 

I tried something similar once. She was a well seasoned bikini babe working on her tan out by her pool. 

I hit a really good ball. Just didn't see where it went. 

Later after a cup of coffee.......never mind. :offtopic:

I could not select an answer for myself since I have a couple swing thoughts that are different based on club type.  For my driver it is a slow takeaway and stopping it earlier than it feels like I should.  For my irons (7-PW) and my hybrids I resist the temptation to play the ball forward on my setup - just past center is good for my swing.  During the swing I try not to sway and over swing but do try to turn my left shoulder (I am a righty) behind the ball.

It's not easy being a high handicapper. 

Two at the moment. 1) Don't lock right leg in the back swing 2) Hip rotation before arms.

Does it work? Yes and no. It works to change the swing, slowly but surely. Is the result at its best when actively changing the swing rather than just swinging on feels? Certainly not.

1-For every club, finish strong. (I find thinking this gets me into a strong follow-through, and thinking of a strong follow-through for some reason makes my swing better)

2-Specifically for driver/3-wood. Finish strong, and swing with your right side of body.  My practice swing is also very specific in terms of practicing seeing the shadow image of my BS and DS with the clubface tracing a path I like..

Edited by cutchemist42

On 10/20/2017 at 9:22 AM, saevel25 said:

Though I am experimenting with not using a mechanical swing thought, but more of a visual mental swing thought.

My swing thought normally is the pre-swing check the alignment, I tend to let my railroad track foot line creep to right if I don't watch it.

Also, I make sure I take a rehearsal practice swing for the type of shot I want. If I start rushing - ye olde slow playe abatement bug - my alignment and my swing smoothness both suffer.

I've been trying to get all the stuff J.C. talks about, but it's' tough.

On a more serious note, I try to limit it to one or two.

My answer depends on what you mean by "manage on the course."   I have a bag full of swing thoughts, because I have made the same mistakes so many times and corrected things so many times.  It's like a bag full of clubs.  I carry them around with me but I only use one at most when I'm addressing my shot.  But which one it is depends on what happened on the last shot or sometime in the recent past.  Then there are the times I have no swing thought at all, but hit a great shot.  But definitely I cannot have more than one swing thought in my head when I'm about to hit a shot. 

The time to think about your swing is before you address the ball. 

After that you should be on autopilot. All execution, no thinking.

I wasn't quite sure how to answer this. During a round I might have several different swing thoughts. If I'm trying to hit a big hook around some trees, my swing thought might well be to make sure I release it. For most of my swings I'll have one thought and that may change through the round, but it would be unusual to have more than two for the same type of shot. I have different thoughts for chipping, putting, pitching, irons and driving though.