IGNORED

If you could ONLY carry two wedges, which ones?

TRACON
Note: This thread is 2310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

56 and 56bounce. I grew up on a golf course. I used to walk the slopes looking for balls with my 56o wedge. Sometimes I would play them as I found them. Off dirt, out of ice plant, under bushes, etc. I'd try to hit the green or fairway. No one played golf much back then. I could mess around playing holes with no golfers around. I can hit my wedge 100 yds punch or 5 yds high flop. Just about how much you open face and open or close your stance. I tried a 60o  for a few months. It was just excess bag weight.   

I think too many are into labeling - the question should be if you were to eliminate a couple of clubs at the bottom (?) of the bag, which ones? I say that because a 45 PW is not a specialty club or wedge - it's primarily a full shot club for most. So you are left with the 49-60 clubs - GW, SW, LW.

I'm taking out the Gap Wedge, because I think it's easier to feather a PW from 90-100 (my Gap Distance), and I want my 2 specialty wedges with versatile grinds - the 55 and 59. I also chip with the 55.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/11/2017 at 12:13 PM, TRACON said:

Like the title says, hypothetically if you could ONLY carry TWO, what loft would they be?

I think I’d carry my 49* (Gap) and 60* (Lob).  It’s a big gap in between I know, but a 9-iron can be “opened” as a PW, while my 60* can be narrowed like my 54* (SW) or opened like a 64* (LW).  What say you?

On 11/11/2017 at 12:34 PM, allenc said:

I would carry a 52 and 58.  That would mean I’d have to buy two new wedges though so I’m not doing that.  :-P

So many in this thread essentially are saying “you’ll pry that third wedge from my cold dead hands!”  It’s easy to play two wedges in addition to your set PW but rereading the op that isn’t the question.

My 9 iron is 40degrees and I thought I would make varying lengths of backswings with it to cover about 140 - 110.  Then the 52 is a nice approach wedge for a couple distances.  The 58 with the right grind is versatile around the greens and good for partial shots from about 90 yards in.  A pretty good blend of my current sand and lob wedges.

However writing all that, I might bump the 52 down to about 49 to share more responsibilities with my 9 iron and have even gaps.  It might be more difficult to use from bunkers though.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I think too many are into labeling - the question should be if you were to eliminate a couple of clubs at the bottom (?) of the bag, which ones? I say that because a 45 PW is not a specialty club or wedge - it's primarily a full shot club for most. So you are left with the 49-60 clubs - GW, SW, LW.

I'm taking out the Gap Wedge, because I think it's easier to feather a PW from 90-100 (my Gap Distance), and I want my 2 specialty wedges with versatile grinds - the 55 and 59. I also chip with the 55.

Shows just how much difference in thinking and usage there can be from player to player.  I use my 51° GW for at least 90% of my chipping and pitching around the green, so that club can never leave my bag.  It's the only club from my old set of AP-2 irons that didn't get replaced by TM Aero Burners in the last bag update.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I have:  the 9i is my 135 club

• 46 - PW (120 full and I chip with this almost exclusively)
  • 50 - GW (110 full)
  • 54 - SW (with the corresponding bounce - 100 full)
  • 58 - LW (up to 85 comfortably)

If I could only have two........ no, I'm not answering it....I don't have anything on the top end that I'd even want to replace those two

kidding - probably stick with the GW, it pitches fine also, and the LW (- hard to give up having something with the SW bounce, but I wouldn't change anything about that LW right now, it's my go-to for everything longer than a medium chip....If I modified to a LW but added bounce, I'd fear I'd lose whatever is going right with that club right now.  At worst, it would have to be a very thorough fitting.)

alternatively, I'd cheat.....I'd keep the 54 and 58 as is.  Then I'd get two more 9i's and bend them and the original 9i to better gap out my 100-150 gap....115, 125, 140

Bill - 

i currently carry

60° wedge - 95 yards (Draw)
56° wedge - 105 yards (Draw)
and then a 47° 130 yards (Draw)

Thats a 25 yards gap between my wedge and the first club of the iron set. It doesn´t matter.
I can close the 56° and hit 110.
I can play a fade with my 47° for 115 yards
I can hit a knockdown shot with the 47° for 125 yards.

No more big gaps for me.. and i just have 2 wedges. 

60 and PW

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I carry four wedges (if you call my PW a "wedge" and not a 10 iron which is what it's designed to be) so pulling two would leave me with some serious gaps in the low end of the bag.

That said, I'll keep my GW and my LW. But honestly, I dislike this exercise. I'd rather add another wedge than take one away.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I only carry three wedges right now.

I would keep the 48° and 54°, and leave out the 60°, although the 60° is the ideal club for one or two shots a round.

But, I hit greenside cut shots with a SW for 15 years before the LW ever appeared, so I could probably get by OK. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'd keep the 47 and 54 and drop the 51 and 58.  Either that or use a 9 iron more often, keep the 51, and replace the 54 and 58 with a 56.  Lord knows there are plenty around the house to choose from.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

My PW, which goes with my set is 48°. I then carry a 52° and a 56°. I would drop the 52° if you made me. I can use the PW to hit everything between PW and my 56°. Only thing I'd lose is a slightly more controlled shot from around 100-105 yards that the 52° gives me. Dropping that might cost me a shot once every 3-4 rounds, but that's about it. 

50, 58

50 is close enough to a 46-pitching and a good gap

58 is high loft sand-wedge and low loft lob wedge.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Note: This thread is 2310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!