IGNORED

Can someone short off the tee become #1 again?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Short Hitters Becoming #1 OWGR  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Can a short hitter (bottom third of PGA Tour Driving Distance stat) become #1 again?

• Yes
    • No

Drive for a lot more dough now is it? I was thinking well Spieth but he's average/above average length. Wondering what other #1s were short. 

The magic formula is you have to gain two strokes on the field per round,” Donald explained. “I’m losing 1 1/2 [strokes] off the tee if I’m not hitting it 300 [yards] all the time or hitting it straight, so I have to find 3 1/2 [strokes] in the rest of my game, which is almost impossible. That’s what it was when I was No. 1.”

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/rex-hoggard/game-trending-longer-donald-could-be-last-his-kind/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I think it can and will happen. Though I don’t think anyone who achieves it will hold it for extended periods of time. Whoever achieves it must be a great mid to long iron player, and I would think they would need to be gaining an abnormal amount of shots in the field with approach shots. Not something I think someone could do for a long period of time if they have longer shots consistently into greens. 

I voted yes. Length is not a new advantage. The only thing that has changed is that more and more people understand that it is. 

Brandon Fox

Rochester, NY

I cant accurately vote until you define what short off the tee/short hitter means. 

Does that mean someone that averages less than a certain yardage off the tee? 

Does that mean someone that is below a certain rank in driving distance compared to his peers?

Does that mean someone that has a certain rank in strokes gained off the tee?

What you might consider to be short off the tee is probably different than what myself and the next guy consider to be short off the tee.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Someone with the time and energy should show a correlation (maybe scatter graph) of driving distance (or shots gained off the tee) to OWGR (since the thread is about World #1) or FedEx standings or moneylist
Thanks I'll hang up and wait for your reply

Players play, tough players win!

Voted no. Everyone hits longer now. 

Edited by Lihu
Spellcheck

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Someone with the time and energy should show a correlation (maybe scatter graph) of driving distance (or shots gained off the tee) to OWGR (since the thread is about World #1) or FedEx standings or moneylist
Thanks I'll hang up and wait for your reply

Here ya go for the current top 50 in the world. I used 2017 driving distance since some of the players dont have very many rounds in 2018 yet.

golf.thumb.png.dbc8cbee29053b013e938b9d620739f3.png

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Short in professional terms is relative. If you're asking that if a player has to be Dustin Johnson or Bubba Watson long to be #1? Absolutley not. But you're going to have to get it out there at least 280-290 to compete at a top 5 level. But thats probably where most touring pros are, anyway. Theres regular touring pro length, and then there is stupid long players like Raam, DJ and Day. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

I voted no, but don't like the poll question TBH.

Can a shorter hitter (I'm defining as bottom third in driving distance on Tour) become #1? Yes. Will a shorter hitter become #1? Not likely.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Drive for a lot more dough now is it? I was thinking well Spieth but he's average/above average length. Wondering what other #1s were short. 

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/rex-hoggard/game-trending-longer-donald-could-be-last-his-kind/

I'll admit ignorance on my part on some of the older players, but isn't Luke Donald basically the only short hitter (not talking about height ;-)) to spend a significant amount of time as world #1?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I cant accurately vote until you define what short off the tee/short hitter means. 

This ^

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, billchao said:

Can a shorter hitter (I'm defining as bottom third in driving distance on Tour) become #1? Yes. Will a shorter hitter become #1? Not likely.

I used your definition and applied it: bottom 1/3 of the driving distance stat.

I voted no. Like Luke says, gaining that many strokes in other areas of your game is nearly impossible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Luke Donald comes to mind in 2011. He was the World #1, and was T147 in driving distance. #1 in strokes gained approach to the green, T18 in strokes gained around the green, #1 in strokes gained putting.

The primary reason he isn't near #1 ranking anymore is because his strokes gained from tee to green has dropped off considerably.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I voted no, based on the parameter of the lowest 1/3. If I knew the lowest third, I might or might not have voted differently.

Jordan is around 295ish I think; the DJ's are much longer.

I would think anyone with an average below 290 would have a difficult time these days; don't know which tier that would be.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

8 minutes ago, dbuck said:

I would think anyone with an average below 290 would have a difficult time these days; don't know which tier that would be.

That is correct. In looking at the scatter plot I posted earlier, No golfers under 295 are in the top 10, and only 2 golfers that average 290 or below are in the top 20, and only 7 are in the top 50.

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The primary reason he isn't near #1 ranking anymore is because his strokes gained from tee to green has dropped off considerably.

He didn't exactly get longer while his competitors have, so he's losing strokes to the field.

5 minutes ago, dbuck said:

I voted no, based on the parameter of the lowest 1/3. If I knew the lowest third, I might or might not have voted differently.

Jordan is around 295ish I think; the DJ's are much longer.

PGA Tour Driving Distance Stats

I like to use lists from previous years because the sample size is bigger. Spieth finished 2017 T75, putting him near the top of the middle third.

The median average driving distance of that year was about 293.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I voted "yes". The old "never say never" theory.  It would be tough however.

I also think that if a golfer is even on a tour, their short, long game is long enough. 

No one knows what future players might be capable of, with the various parts of their games. There could be some 5 year old phenom out there sinking pitches, chips, and putts at never seen before rate of success. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I never actually thought Luke was number 1 in the world even when he was according to the rankings. I think him being number 1 and even Westwood shows flaws in the ranking.

• Like 1

Trollin' is the life

Note: This thread is 2263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!