IGNORED

People just don't "go to sleep" anymore

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

They pass out in front of a screen or to something in the background. I'm going to guess a smaller and smaller percentage of people go to sleep, "neat", without anything playing.

http://amzn.to/2sEl2vK

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.49.37 AM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to People just don't "go to sleep" anymore

I rarely fall asleep with any sort of media on. I use to only fall asleep with the TV on. I’m glad I don’t anymore. I sleep much better than I use to. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My bedroom has no fixed entertainment systems. The biggest sinner is the mobile phone, but I don't use it too often after going to bed. If anything, watching a monitor the last hours before going to be is a bigger issue.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

My wife likes to fall asleep with the TV on and I can't stand it. Usually I don't go to bed until after she falls asleep and I can turn it off. If I leave it on, it will wake me up in the middle of the night.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I can go to sleep pretty much anywhere with no issues. That said, I will either read or watch something very light to start feeling drowsy then switch off and am usually out within 2 minutes.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I haven't always been, but I'm a pretty good sleeper. Sometimes I watch TV before bed, sometimes I'm on my laptop or phone, sometimes I read. As long as I'm in bed and not on the couch, it's not an issue. I don't need a fan or a white noise machine or anything either. Darker is better, but I don't draw my shades and there are streetlights directly outside my window, so that's not really an issue either. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Don't know if anyone else experiences this, but I turn off the TV and the lights and go to bed. I fall asleep quite quickly. Then, I will wake up to take one of my middle of the night pees, and I cannot return to sleep! I will toss and turn all night long until we start getting "grey light" in the sky. That's when I'll crash hard and sleep like the dead until 10 or 11AM!

I've never done this before, and am at a loss to explain it!

I am a 6 hour guy. As long as I get 6 hours of sleep, I am happy. Problem is that some nights are better than others. The nights I dream, are my better sleep nights.

Now lately, around 2pm, with nothing else going on, I have been taking little 30 minute naps. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I sleepuch better after a drink or two. I know studies have shown that to not be true, but there is a certain point where I can be knocked out for 7-8 hours no problem. No tv in our bedroom since we started dating so the only noise we have is a fan/wind noise maker for white noise in the bedroom. No lights or tv needed 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

48 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I sleepuch better after a drink or two. I know studies have shown that to not be true, but there is a certain point where I can be knocked out for 7-8 hours no problem.

It could be the quality of sleep. You could get 7-8 hours of bad sleep versus good sleep. I am aware of when I toss and turn more than I normally do. I tend to not be as energized the next day when I do so. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On nights I close at work, I get home around 10:00 pm... I can't go right to sleep, so I'm usually up till 2:00 or 3:00 am. Writing posts on here etc.

I personally sleep with a fan and like @billchao my wife hates it. It can be 25 below out and I have the fan brewing even then. I've compromised and turned the fan away from her. But if my 4-year-old comes down in the middle of the night, She usually wants it on her for a little while.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Don't know if anyone else experiences this, but I turn off the TV and the lights and go to bed. I fall asleep quite quickly. Then, I will wake up to take one of my middle of the night pees, and I cannot return to sleep! I will toss and turn all night long until we start getting "grey light" in the sky. That's when I'll crash hard and sleep like the dead until 10 or 11AM!

I've never done this before, and am at a loss to explain it!

The same thing used to happen to me, and the only way I can avoid it is to not drink anything within 2 hours of going to bed, and then, don't get up to pee during the night.  Also, no caffeine after noon, and no nap during the day.  And plenty of exercise.   Then and only then can I get a good night's sleep. 

I often violate those rules, and wind up surfing TheSandTrap at 4AM. 

Edited by Marty2019

On 2/18/2018 at 2:24 PM, billchao said:

My wife likes to fall asleep with the TV on and I can't stand it. Usually I don't go to bed until after she falls asleep and I can turn it off.

Exactly the same here.  Fortunately, she goes to bed a good bit before me, so it works for us.

I don't really watch much television, but lately I've been trying to turn off the computer (and phone) for 30 minutes or so before heading to bed...usually by reading a book instead.

- John

22 hours ago, Patch said:

I am a 6 hour guy. As long as I get 6 hours of sleep, I am happy. Problem is that some nights are better than others. The nights I dream, are my better sleep nights.

Now lately, around 2pm, with nothing else going on, I have been taking little 30 minute naps. 

This is kind of amazing. I've noticed the same thing. It also helps if there is some sense of "motion" in the dream. Sometimes, in my mind's eye it will seem as if I am flying low over water, or a waving grain field. Or over mountainous terrain. This is something that just happens, and I have no ability to control or command it. But when it happens, I will sleep like a baby!

Most of my dreams I cannot remember, but there's a particularly vivid one that hangs with me to this day. It features Ty Burrell, who play Phil Dunphy on Modern Family. In the dream I go to see some live show he was doing, in Florida, and he and his shady sidekick sabotage my pickup truck!

They take the seats, steering wheel, and gear shift out of my truck and won't tell me where they've hidden them! Also, I have no access to tools to replace the parts should I find them!

One of the crazier dreams I've ever had.

Note: This thread is 2185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!